Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Suspended
    Oh you guys are just a RIOT! Hardy har har.

Suspended
    I think it's naptime for L.J. Somebody get him his bottle.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Oh you guys are just a RIOT! Hardy har har.

Sure are, those speakers are going to ME
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    FYI...

Someone over on AVS ordered an RX-V1800 from 6th Ave Electronics yesterday using the old coupon code: "AFLYAM768" and his cost was $768.00 no tax and free ship. Just thought you'd like to know.

Cool

FYI...

Someone over on AVS ordered an RX-V1800 from 6th Ave Electronics yesterday using the old coupon code: "AFLYAM768" and his cost was $768.00 no tax and free ship. Just thought you'd like to know.

THERES A REASON FOR THIS.
    Theres always a reason.
    For the love of humanity!
    When you receiver grows legs, walks over to yout bed, and sucks your soul out of your body and heads back to the mothership, dont blame me
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    I want somma what he's drinking!!!

holy crap that's cheap...i was looking at those when i originally went looking for receivers. they're nice units, although a bit underpowered.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    ...When setting speakers to small, be sure to adjust the sub level to your liking, then try Phil's voice again. At least 80 Hz for the crossover. This might not even solve the problem if it's not freeing up enough power but it's about as far as you can get without subtracting speakers from the receiver.
    Just an update and to put this issue to rest...

While I was setting up my receiver as Kex suggested, I decided to first try a different DVD-A. This time while Queensryche's "Empire" DVD was spinning I cranked up to 90 dB again as I did previously with the Genesis "A Trick of the Tail" DVD-A and lo & behold, no dropout at all across the midrange frequencies. I paid particular attention during "Silent Lucidity" and Geoff Tate's vocals sounded clear and unfluctuated. So, I then loaded up my other Genesis DVD-A: "Wind & Wuthering" and @ 90 dB, the dropout returned, albiet much less noticeable. Plugged in "Trick..." and even at less than say 60dB, the problem reproduced itself.

So, my conclusions are either I have a bad DVD-A, a DVD changer with a few shortcomings or I'm once again the victim of a poorly interpreted DVD-A standard. (Sorry Emotiva, you're going to have to wait a while for my cash)

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Just an update and to put this issue to rest...

While I was setting up my receiver as Kex suggested, I decided to first try a different DVD-A. This time while Queensryche's "Empire" DVD was spinning I cranked up to 90 dB again as I did previously with the Genesis "A Trick of the Tail" DVD-A and lo & behold, no dropout at all across the midrange frequencies. I paid particular attention during "Silent Lucidity" and Geoff Tate's vocals sounded clear and unfluctuated. So, I then loaded up my other Genesis DVD-A: "Wind & Wuthering" and @ 90 dB, the dropout returned, albiet much less noticeable. Plugged in "Trick..." and even at less than say 60dB, the problem reproduced itself.

So, my conclusions are either I have a bad DVD-A, a DVD changer with a few shortcomings or I'm once again the victim of a poorly interpreted DVD-A standard. (Sorry Emotiva, you're going to have to wait a while for my cash)
    Hey Rich, it could even be a sign your speakers are revealing a subtle shift in volume caused by Phil shifting away from the mic during recording (how many singers stand still?).

Yeah, good rule of thumb is to try and substitute pieces out of the equation to isolate a problem - we should have asked you if the suckout occured at all volumes or other discs, but I just assumed the way you wrote it that it was a high-volume induced phenomenon.

Good stuff - carry on.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hey Rich, it could even be a sign your speakers are revealing a subtle shift in volume caused by Phil shifting away from the mic during recording (how many singers stand still?).

Yeah, good rule of thumb is to try and substitute pieces out of the equation to isolate a problem - we should have asked you if the suckout occured at all volumes or other discs, but I just assumed the way you wrote it that it was a high-volume induced phenomenon.

Good stuff - carry on.
    I think you did ask, but I didn't directly answer that question in my rambling response. It was just this past weekend that I noticed it at lower volumes.

Onward and upward, right L.J.?

So Rich,

Overall, how are you liking your new receiver? How does it compare to your old HTR?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    If I liked it anymore I'd be taking it to bed with me!!! (See how I set myself up for you people? )

I did some more tweaking with the SPL meter and I've saved that config to memory, which for some reason (hint hint) I have to recall each time I power it on. In many cases, mostly when watching HD shows with DD, the LFE response has improved to the point where everything sounds tighter, if not warmer (warmer = more mid-range correct?). I played my Cream Reunion concert DVD; it has a DTS playback option, and the three instruments sounded clear, powerful and all things considered pretty tight. Last time I played it was on my 5740 and the difference in SQ is very noticeable. BTW, Jack Bruce's bass guitar has no frets. (An argument led by MindGoneHaywire in RR) I played Pink Floyd Pulse after that in it's native format with the 640K bit rate and I have to say the Cream concert sounded much better. I attribute that to Pulse's 14 year old mastering.

Things are slowly improving and it's time to put my arts-n-crafts hat back on and get some more panels together. I wish someone would come over and help me.

You still messing around with your gear? Geez Rich, do you ever just sit back and enjoy a movie or something?

BTW, I have no problem with you sending me a "bottle". It can be either a bottle of rum or maybe some gin. I don't care for vodka though...gives me a headache.

Suspended
    Sorry L.J. Tequilla or nothing.

Glad you're liking it Rich.
    Not sure why you'd have to help it to remember each time you turn it back on. Are you cutting all power to the unit when it's not on?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

So any of you guys getting an Emovita before the price goes up? $499 is hard to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    So any of you guys getting an Emovita before the price goes up? $499 is hard to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Would you kill me if I told you mine should be here by Friday?

Would you kill me if I told you mine should be here by Friday?
    Not at all. I love good news. (even if I am having trouble keeping up with you Mr Jones)
    Will we be getting a review from you also?

Not at all. I love good news. (even if I am having trouble keeping up with you Mr Jones)
    Will we be getting a review from you also?
    Nah, I don't have one coming.....yet....but I would like to get one before the new models come out.

HEY....since when do you have 4 green things?

Nah, I don't have one coming.....yet....but I would like to get one before the new models come out.

HEY....since when do you have 4 green things?
    Keep us informed upgrade dude.

4 thingies? As far as I know, I only have the one.
    Oh, you mean the green chicklet thingies. My bad. I've been hovering on the edge for a while now. Looks like Bobsticks pushed me over the edge at Rich's expense.

Suspended
    Yeah. Figures. I noticed his 4 tits last week, or maybe it was two weeks ago.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    ... Looks like Bobsticks pushed me over the edge at Rich's expense.
    Jah, I was hopin' to get myself outta the damned lead but, alas, not quite enough juice.

--Reluctant anti-hero
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Cool

Another "thing" Rich.
    people think that speakers are the only thing that need "burning" or "breaking" in.
    BUT I have found THAT ELECTRONICS will need a spell to get acclimated also.
    Capacitors especially.
    So a minor "shakedowm" period is probably going to happen
    Or maybe the soul sucking thing
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information