Radioshack DIGITAL SPL meter?

I was wondering was the Digital meter equivalent to the Analog meter?

Since I hear a lot of reference to the Analog meter I'm assuming this is the prefered one. So Im wondering what are the shortcomings of the Digital meter, if any?

Not as quick on the read, and the display only shows whole decibel intervals. Plus, it costs $10 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Not as quick on the read, and the display only shows whole decibel intervals. Plus, it costs $10 more.
    ok so since the meter would jump from let's say 75 to 76 db I have no way of knowing the exact measurement, right? So one speaker could be at 75.1 and another at 75.9. Is this a big deal? Being off by .5 db or so

The bigger question is why would you pay more to be less accurate? If you're going to do it, do it right. Don't forget the correction values for the Rat Shack meter also. A quick search should turn it up pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    The bigger question is why would you pay more to be less accurate? If you're going to do it, do it right. Don't forget the correction values for the Rat Shack meter also. A quick search should turn it up pretty easily.
    When I went to RS a couple a months it was all they had and I didn't know any better. My 2805 has auto eq so its not the end of the world. I am willing to spend 30 bucks on the analog IF its worth it.

cam
    On the digital spl the whole number that is displayed and the bargragh is calculated at either .2 or .5 of a second intervals depending if you put the response time to fast or slow. While the number displayed may read, example 75 db, and never change, you will notice the bargragh may flicker between 2 different bars. While it says 75 db, your next speaker may read 75db but possibly may display 1 more or 1 less bar then one of your other speakers that also displayed 75db. If your receiver can adjust in .5db increments you will easily beable to match speaker levels using the bar gragh.

Thread Information