Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    That's it! Now I know why Geddy's voice sounds so high on all of my Rush CD's They must have twisted the screws in too tight.
    Dude, how could you be so silly. Didn't anyone tell you, every click to the right on the screws will take the vocals up an octave and same is true to the left, down an octave. You may have to go back and loosen those screws a bit, now the screws towards the top activate the high frequencies and so forth to the bottom speakers, so make sure that you are loosening them equally with one another.

To achieve true high fidelity you have to swap out all the philips screws with slotted ones. It will reduce any sonic defractions.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Forum Regular
    Yea I found out the screw swapping issue last month when I was overhauling my entertainment center. It has helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    To achieve true high fidelity you have to swap out all the philips screws with slotted ones. It will reduce any sonic defractions.
    That's why I replaced all of mine with Allen head screws. The round heads give the music a more symmetrical sound. Next time, rivets!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    How many inch-pounds did you torque them down to? Very important you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    How many inch-pounds did you torque them down to? Very important you know.
    Don't know. My torque wrench broke. So now I just twist until the corns on my feet start to hurt.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    What if they weight the same, or have the same color wood?
    That's why you put each on a scale counterweighted by a duck. If they weigh the same they must be a witch and therefore burned...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    That's why you put each on a scale counterweighted by a duck. If they weigh the same they must be a witch and therefore burned...
    Burned?
    BURNED?!

That's blasphemy man!

Burned?
    BURNED?!

That's blasphemy man!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

Suspended
    You got me to watch that rap video Bobby, but I AIN'T biting this time!!!

You got me to watch that rap video Bobby, but I AIN'T biting this time!!!
    LOL, nah I'm just drawing some heat over there. Something different from the average "indie/jazz/prog/speed/whatever"...a good opportunity to take folks out of their comfort zone.

The above is a bit of humor based on the logic of one speaker looks like another so it must sound the same.

Suspended
    Okay, I'll go look at it. I thought it was a video of someone torching their Maggie's or something.

(Must... Steer... This... Thread... Back... To... It's... Original... Topic...!!!)

Okay, I'll go look at it. I thought it was a video of someone torching their Maggie's or something.

(Must... Steer... This... Thread... Back... To... It's... Original... Topic...!!!)
    Good luck turning this ship around!

Cool

GEE, it really amazes me what happens when you attack the mythology held by a lot
    of "audio enthusiasts". Hard to beleive that this hobby was started by critical
    thinkers who could think for themselves and usually built their own equipment.
    Now its populated by a bunch who can't look at two speakers with a similar
    driver complement, built by the same conglomeration of industries and labs,
    and be able to tell that their sound is probably very similar if not the same.
    Both have six drivers, one has substituted a woofer (or passive radiator) in place of a
    mid to increase bass a tad, otherwise thats it.
    OH yeah! They ARE different!
    With the PSB'S you get a free pen and a little book!
    MY BAD!
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    GEE, it really amazes me what happens when you attack the mythology held by a lot
    of "audio enthusiasts". Hard to beleive that this hobby was started by critical
    thinkers who could think for themselves and usually built their own equipment.
    Now its populated by a bunch who can't look at two speakers with a similar
    driver complement, built by the same conglomeration of industries and labs,
    and be able to tell that their sound is probably very similar if not the same.
    Both have six drivers, one has substituted a woofer (or passive radiator) in place of a
    mid to increase bass a tad, otherwise thats it.
    OH yeah! They ARE different!
    With the PSB'S you get a free pen and a little book!
    MY BAD!
    Here's an idea. Why not listen to them both to see if they sound the same? Just cause they look the same doesn't mean they sound the same. Otherwise, we'd all have Bic speakers. They look just as nice as a set of B&W's. I guess that means they are just as good?

Here's an idea. Why not listen to them both to see if they sound the same? Just cause they look the same doesn't mean they sound the same. Otherwise, we'd all have Bic speakers. They look just as nice as a set of B&W's. I guess that means they are just as good?
    He isn't going to voluntarily do something that is only going to show his ignorance for this hobby. I have listened to both Axiom and PSB, but have much more experience with PSB of course. The Axioms that I heard were NOTHING like PSB, although the only model that might be similar in the PSB lineup would be the Image T55, but even that is a stretch. Axiom makes decent speakers and cater to people who want to spend less than most people on audio needs, but still want adequate quality and have options with colors and other features. This is why they offer a larger selection of models, finishes, and you can buy package deals as well.

PSB on the other hand has been making speakers for 30 years that have people scratching their heads at how something so inexpensive (by audio standards) could sound so good and compete with bigger buck speakers. No one in the world of audio denies Paul Barton's genius designs and speaker-making capabilities. Axiom also is a factory-direct company and you can order everything you need straight from their website, which also signifies that they cater to people who are going to buy their products without even listening to them, mostly on reputation or word of mouth, but primarily out of the options that they have and the price. Notice they even allow you to choose the grill color.

That being said, most of us on here (even newbies and such) understand that speakers that look alike do not sound alike and that it takes actual LISTENING to determine such things, and we are not talking about the same listening test that Pixelthis considers adequate: a few hours of Randy Travis.

But...But...But...they look the same. LOL
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    It gets to the point after a while that you just can't beat a dead horse any more deader than it already is.

Cool

I have listened to both, and while similar, both do have different sonic characteristics.
    My point is, that like "west coast sound" (JBL speakers) "english sound" (b&w, wharfdale,
    rotel) and "boston sound" the electroncs industry is very "clubby".
    THERE IS NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE TWO, because both companies
    share the same suppliers, etc.
    And in the case of these two speakers, BOTH use the dual driver concept with minor variations between the two.
    Both companies probably used the same govt supplied research facilities, and came up with the same "solution", the dual driver concept, which, if not carefull, will cause wave cancelation and loss of certain frequencies (which is why its not used that much anymore)
    In any even both are the result of the Canadians, and have that bland "Canadian"
    sound, which Peruvian describes as precise and analytical, and I DESCRIBE AS LACKING PERSONALITY
    Whatever
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I have listened to both, and while similar, both do have different sonic characteristics.
    My point is, that like "west coast sound" (JBL speakers) "english sound" (b&w, wharfdale,
    rotel) and "boston sound" the electroncs industry is very "clubby".
    THERE IS NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE TWO, because both companies
    share the same suppliers, etc.
    And in the case of these two speakers, BOTH use the dual driver concept with minor variations between the two.
    Both companies probably used the same govt supplied research facilities, and came up with the same "solution", the dual driver concept, which, if not carefull, will cause wave cancelation and loss of certain frequencies (which is why its not used that much anymore)
    In any even both are the result of the Canadians, and have that bland "Canadian"
    sound, which Peruvian describes as precise and analytical, and I DESCRIBE AS LACKING PERSONALITY
    Whatever
    Sounds to me like you are back peddling from what you were trying to say before, now all of a sudden they do have different sonic characteristics, yet they are still the same because they come from the same country. Nice one. Explain to me exactly how two speakers could have different sonic characteristics and still be the same? I'd love to hear your explanation on that one, and I am sure you have a drawer full of opinions, which will most likely come across as trollish as possible...I can't wait to hear this one! Oh and for the record...which models of each company were you listening to ?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    But...But...But...they look the same. LOL
    Interesting...

I own the Platinum T6's, and the Image 7PT's, I have a good friend who has owned the Image 4T's, the Status Silver and Goldi's, plus I have listened to the Platinum T8's, several Goldis, Bronze, and Silver, numerous Image and Alpha line and I wouldn't even say that any of these speakers sound alike...the Image line is different from the Status line, the Status different from the Platinum and I am sure the new line as well as the G-Design will have their unique qualities as well, so with that in mind, it's amazing to me how another company could sound just like these...oh wait....I get it...they are in the same country...that explains it all.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Sounds to me like you are back peddling from what you were trying to say before, now all of a sudden they do have different sonic characteristics, yet they are still the same because they come from the same country. Nice one. Explain to me exactly how two speakers could have different sonic characteristics and still be the same? I'd love to hear your explanation on that one, and I am sure you have a drawer full of opinions, which will most likely come across as trollish as possible...I can't wait to hear this one! Oh and for the record...which models of each company were you listening to ?
    Yeah, how 'bout that? It's subtle, but it's there. The good thing is we have it all on record so it's easy to check.

I've said this before... I work with an engineer just like him. When he's wrong he'll make all sorts of excuses just to camoflage what he was wrong about and then move on thinking no one will notice.

Sorry if I'm passing judgement on you pix, but the facts are the facts, and when you're here I'm able to excercise my psychology skills. (IOW, we're watching you bud!)

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Interesting...

I own the Platinum T6's, and the Image 7PT's, I have a good friend who has owned the Image 4T's, the Status Silver and Goldi's, plus I have listened to the Platinum T8's, several Goldis, Bronze, and Silver, numerous Image and Alpha line and I wouldn't even say that any of these speakers sound alike...the Image line is different from the Status line, the Status different from the Platinum and I am sure the new line as well as the G-Design will have their unique qualities as well, so with that in mind, it's amazing to me how another company could sound just like these...oh wait....I get it...they are in the same country...that explains it all.
    If you listened to something besides PSB you might learn something.
    But I doubt it.
    AS TO MODELS, the only "models" I care about are Victorias secrets models.
    Its only when I decide that I Like the sound do I start to pay attention to model numbers
    and other minutae.
    For a young wet behind the ears...well, never mind.
    Trust me, when you have heard thousands of peices of audio gear in every possible combination you wont care about "models" either.
    AND I HAVE NEVER heard anything from north of the border to peak my interest enough
    to care
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

If you listened to something besides PSB you might learn something.
    But I doubt it.
    AS TO MODELS, the only "models" I care about are Victorias secrets models.
    Its only when I decide that I Like the sound do I start to pay attention to model numbers
    and other minutae.
    For a young wet behind the ears...well, never mind.
    Trust me, when you have heard thousands of peices of audio gear in every possible combination you wont care about "models" either.
    AND I HAVE NEVER heard anything from north of the border to peak my interest enough
    to care
    Let me get this straight....

1. I am too young to have the experience that you do, which is why you feel that you know more than I do.

2. Yet, because I have listened to many PSB models, now that is viewed as a bad thing?

So basically you are trying to say that I need more experience, yet because I listen to a lot of different models that I shouldn't concern myself with that I am limited with my knowledge? I don't JUST listen to PSB, I have listened to lots of speakers, but I readily admit that I am most familiar with PSB.

Maybe this is your problem...you judge PSB by ONE model that you heard and didn't give anything else a chance....now who is being narrow minded? Hmmm.

Cool

Yeah, how 'bout that? It's subtle, but it's there. The good thing is we have it all on record so it's easy to check.

I've said this before... I work with an engineer just like him. When he's wrong he'll make all sorts of excuses just to camoflage what he was wrong about and then move on thinking no one will notice.

Sorry if I'm passing judgement on you pix, but the facts are the facts, and when you're here I'm able to excercise my psychology skills. (IOW, we're watching you bud!)
    YOU'RE PSYCHOLOGY SKILLS!
    That explains a lot.
    AND watch me all you want. I was a police officer for a few decades, I guarentee I can
    outstare you.
    AND what I learned on the street about human psychology will beat your book learning ANY day
    BTW if you think that anything based on physics is "wrong" take it up with god,
    hes' the one who designed this stuff in the first place.
    Hate to tell ya but just because somethings inconvienent doesn't make it "wrong".
    Ever read Douglas Adams "HITCHHIKERS guide to the galaxy"?
    Read the section about the spaceship they discover manned by
    hairdressers, marketing types, insurance beaurcrats, and psychologists.
    Might find it enlightening.
    Or maybe not.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information