Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    YOU'RE PSYCHOLOGY SKILLS!
    That explains a lot.
    AND watch me all you want. I was a police officer for a few decades, I guarentee I can
    outstare you.
    AND what I learned on the street about human psychology will beat your book learning ANY day
    BTW if you think that anything based on physics is "wrong" take it up with god,
    hes' the one who designed this stuff in the first place.
    Hate to tell ya but just because somethings inconvienent doesn't make it "wrong".
    Ever read Douglas Adams "HITCHHIKERS guide to the galaxy"?
    Read the section about the spaceship they discover manned by
    hairdressers, marketing types, insurance beaurcrats, and psychologists.
    Might find it enlightening.
    Or maybe not.
    So, you used to be a rent-a-pig at wal-mart, and now you're a candy striper at the local free clinic. You've certainly been around the block a few times in your 50 years haven't ya? And throw in some Sigmund Freud studies as well! WOW!!!

I guess this ship has already been sunk, but in case anyone's interested, I'm having my share of issues with my 880. I think some of the problems have to do with the default delays that the s/w assigns to devices in my system, but more probably have to do with operator error. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but even with the aforementioned, I'm happy with the amount of convenience this remote allows me. Battery life is very good, and no charging stand probs.
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 09-26-2007 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I'm having my share of issues with my 880. I think some of the problems have to do with the default delays that the s/w assigns to devices in my system, but more probably have to do with operator error. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but even with the aforementioned, I'm happy with the amount of convenience this remote allows me. Battery life is very good, and no charging stand probs.
    What problems are you having?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    What problems are you having?
    Okay, maybe we CAN right this ship...
    1. Sometimes when I pick up the remote the backlight doesn't come on
    2. Lately, when I select the "Watch TV" activity, the TV and AVR come on like they're supposed to, but the display is blank (no TV softkeys)
    3. When the AVR device is selected, a delay occurs when I hold down the volume up/down toggle switch.
    4. I don't know what the best way is to set up the softkeys for the individual devices. Do I have to learn each softkey on each page of the device's list with the device's remote? I know there's a menu item that shows all key settings setup options, but I get overwhelmed by it's size. I'm talking about the database that shows what the remote has set by default, and the settings I've set (shown with a red background in that particular command's reference field).
    Those are the questions that stick out in my head right now. I've been neglectful with spending time setting it up (read... Doom 3 is screaming along at +60 fps ), and I feel like I should be doing the reseach on my own instead of asking questions here.

I'll tell ya what... If you help me out I'll not press the oatmeal raisin cookie request of Mrs. L.J. How 'bout that?

Okay, maybe we CAN right this ship...
    1. Sometimes when I pick up the remote the backlight doesn't come on
    2. Lately, when I select the "Watch TV" activity, the TV and AVR come on like they're supposed to, but the display is blank (no TV softkeys)
    3. When the AVR device is selected, a delay occurs when I hold down the volume up/down toggle switch.
    4. I don't know what the best way is to set up the softkeys for the individual devices. Do I have to learn each softkey on each page of the device's list with the device's remote? I know there's a menu item that shows all key settings setup options, but I get overwhelmed by it's size. I'm talking about the database that shows what the remote has set by default, and the settings I've set (shown with a red background in that particular command's reference field).
    Those are the questions that stick out in my head right now. I've been neglectful with spending time setting it up (read... Doom 3 is screaming along at +60 fps ), and I feel like I should be doing the reseach on my own instead of asking questions here.

I'll tell ya what... If you help me out I'll not press the oatmeal raisin cookie request of Mrs. L.J. How 'bout that?
    1. It's motion tilt sensored. Maybe your hands are a little too soft Give it a little tilt and it should pop on.

2. Are you saying that the TV isn't turning on are isn't going to the proper input?

3. Now your just complaining

4. Softkey...I've never heard that term before. Are you saying the Harmony doesn't have full control of your devices?

"I feel like I should be doing the reseach on my own instead of asking questions here"
    I was just starting to think....man this guy is lazy

Suspended
    1. It's motion tilt sensored. Maybe your hands are a little too soft Give it a little tilt and it should pop on.
    I've done that. I've even shaken it. Still no backlight.

2. Are you saying that the TV isn't turning on are isn't going to the proper input?
    The TV comes on, the correct input to the TV is set, the correct AVR input is selected, but with some activities the 880 display will show some available functions assigned to the buttons on either side of the display (what I'm calling softkeys). Not so when I push the Watch TV activity button. Just a blank 880 display.

Quote Originally Posted by smarta$$
    3. Now your just complaining
    Leave me ALONE

Quote Originally Posted by unenlightened
    4. Softkey...I've never heard that term before. Are you saying the Harmony doesn't have full control of your devices?
    See response to number 2.

Quote Originally Posted by indian giver
    "I feel like I should be doing the reseach on my own instead of asking questions here"
    I was just starting to think....man this guy is lazy
    First he offers to help, then he tells me to go away.

I've done that. I've even shaken it. Still no backlight.
    That doesn't sound good. Mine pops on almost instantly. You may wanna give Logitech a call about that one

The TV comes on, the correct input to the TV is set, the correct AVR input is selected, but with some activities the 880 display will show some available functions assigned to the buttons on either side of the display (what I'm calling softkeys). Not so when I push the Watch TV activity button. Just a blank 880 display.
    OK. Under "activities" press "customize buttons" under whatever activity you want to make softkey changes too. At the top of the page press "additional buttons". You can add up to 16 commands that you want to show on your Harmony's display, with each activity.

Leave me ALONE
    Need a hug fella

See response to number 2.
    See response to number 2

First he offers to help, then he tells me to go away.
    Perhaps a cookie or two will cheer you up.

Suspended
    I'd have to go back a page to see response to number 2. I don't know how to do that.
    (Can't understand how this thread is 81 posts long and I'm still in the dark)

I'd have to go back a page to see response to number 2. I don't know how to do that.
    (Can't understand how this thread is 81 posts long and I'm still in the dark)
    Once you set up your "softkeys" for each activity (Under "activities" press "customize buttons" under whatever activity you want to make softkey changes too. At the top of the page press "additional buttons". You can add up to 16 commands that you want to show on your Harmony's display, with each activity) you should be fine. I only had to do a little bit of learning and that was mainly due to the Yammie having so many features and such a complicated remote.

The delay when pressing the volume up or down issue I'm not sure about. The volumes adjusts kinda slow on mine but I like it that way. I have my Yammie set to turn on at the level I like to listen at, well pretty close anyways. You may want to give that a try.

Suspended
    Thanks L.J. I'll try these suggestions when I get home. Yes, there are a lot of layers on my 5740's remote as well. Although I don't have to set much up thesse days (like speaker distance, volume...etc) it'd be great if I could pack the Yamaha remote away. This is the most complex remote I've ever owned so it's kind of difficult to determine if I'm doing something wrong, if it's just something I haven't realized that it can do in a more simplistic manner, or if there's really something wrong with the remote.

BTW, at AVS someone with a similar issue with his remote not responding when picked up, asked if there was a sensitivity setting. I don't recall seeing one, but do you hear some rattling in yours when you shake it. Mine doesn't.

Cool

So, you used to be a rent-a-pig at wal-mart, and now you're a candy striper at the local free clinic. You've certainly been around the block a few times in your 50 years haven't ya? And throw in some Sigmund Freud studies as well! WOW!!!

I guess this ship has already been sunk, but in case anyone's interested, I'm having my share of issues with my 880. I think some of the problems have to do with the default delays that the s/w assigns to devices in my system, but more probably have to do with operator error. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but even with the aforementioned, I'm happy with the amount of convenience this remote allows me. Battery life is very good, and no charging stand probs.
    Actually I went to the law enforcment acadamy in 1981, 95% average.
    And worked liason with the secret service when REGAN came through in 1984
    "Rent a pigs" don't have arrest powers...REAL PIGS DO.
    As for being a "candy striper" come into my E.R sometime, think that you'll find it quite...
    educational
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Actually I went to the law enforcment acadamy in 1981, 95% average.
    And worked liason with the secret service when REGAN came through in 1984
    "Rent a pigs" don't have arrest powers...REAL PIGS DO.
    As for being a "candy striper" come into my E.R sometime, think that you'll find it quite...
    educational
    So what do you do in the ER? What is your official title/job description?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    So what do you do in the ER? What is your official title/job description?
    Actually I don't work there much anymore, I am more in managment in the security
    of the place.
    Its not the greatest pay in the world, but what I have learned about how medical
    instruments are networked, and the way things work in a rather large hospital
    have been fascinating.
    I consider it a honor to be working with people (doctors and nurses) who routinely
    save lives on a daily basis. I have seen people come in half dead and walk out with a prescription. My contribution is small, but satisfying
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    Actually I don't work there much anymore, I am more in managment in the security
    of the place.
    Its not the greatest pay in the world, but what I have learned about how medical
    instruments are networked, and the way things work in a rather large hospital
    have been fascinating.
    I consider it a honor to be working with people (doctors and nurses) who routinely
    save lives on a daily basis. I have seen people come in half dead and walk out with a prescription. My contribution is small, but satisfying
    Well, you led us to believe you were a Neurosurgeon. My remark was in sarcasm. I forgot to include a smiley.

Okay, so now we've established that you work for Pinkerton Security Services. Good.

Things seem to have gone downhill with the remote. Last night I tried L.J.'s suggestions, but before I did this, and this has become routine, I plugged in the remote, logged in then did an immediate update. That went fine, but after I made the changes, I tried to update it again but this time, after the 3% progress indication, it stopped and gave me a message saying something about the TV's IR sequence is not valid. There was some other text which I didn't understand, but trying a do-over of the TV's learning procedure didn't work either. I used the option that let's me point the TV remote at the 880, and this time the 880 didn't detect the power on/off toggle press. After some frustration I thought I could reset the remote by pulling the battery, but nothing changed when I tried to setup the TV again. The good thing is, all previous settings remained intact. I can still perform a "Watch TV" activity, but the display still remains blank afterwards. I suspect a call to customer support is on the horizon.

Two more questions: When programming in favorites, in order to watch the HD channels, how do you enter the channel numbers? Is it for example, 8.1, or 8-1?
    Also, how do I change the online session timeout value? Is that a Logitech site setting or a Windows setting? My session times out after about five minutes of inactivity which is irritating because I lose all the changes I've made if I don't click Update in time.

Forum Regular
    Rich

Why don't you call their tech support.It is the best,they will talk you through everything.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

BTW, at AVS someone with a similar issue with his remote not responding when picked up, asked if there was a sensitivity setting. I don't recall seeing one, but do you hear some rattling in yours when you shake it. Mine doesn't.
    You can go into the "remote settings" and make sure the sensor is enabled under "display setting". Besides that, I'm not sure. You should hear a rattle, I would think, because that's the tilt sensor moving around.

Things seem to have gone downhill with the remote. Last night I tried L.J.'s suggestions, but before I did this, and this has become routine, I plugged in the remote, logged in then did an immediate update. That went fine, but after I made the changes, I tried to update it again but this time, after the 3% progress indication, it stopped and gave me a message saying something about the TV's IR sequence is not valid. There was some other text which I didn't understand, but trying a do-over of the TV's learning procedure didn't work either. I used the option that let's me point the TV remote at the 880, and this time the 880 didn't detect the power on/off toggle press. After some frustration I thought I could reset the remote by pulling the battery, but nothing changed when I tried to setup the TV again. The good thing is, all previous settings remained intact. I can still perform a "Watch TV" activity, but the display still remains blank afterwards. I suspect a call to customer support is on the horizon.
    Yeah, you should give them a call and explain the situation. I heard they have pretty good CS. Maybe they can give you reboot instructions. Perhaps it's time for a new remote.

Two more questions: When programming in favorites, in order to watch the HD channels, how do you enter the channel numbers? Is it for example, 8.1, or 8-1?
    Also, how do I change the online session timeout value? Is that a Logitech site setting or a Windows setting? My session times out after about five minutes of inactivity which is irritating because I lose all the changes I've made if I don't click Update in time.
    Are you watching OTA HD?

Not sure 'bout the session time thing.

Suspended
    Yes, my local channels are OTA, I should have mentioned that. With my TV's remote, I enter 8-1, but I think the TV interprets it as 8.1. Either way though, there's no way to enter those symbols on the 880 keypad. I'll get on the horn with CS tonite.

Suspended

One problem solved

The reason I was getting this error: "The IR sequence ' - ' for your TV does not exist" when trying to update the remote after adding some Favorite channels was because the symbol " - " is unrecognized by the software. When I "Removed" all favorites and ran an update again, it was successful. I verified this by trying to add a favorite channel using the " . " symbol, and the error occured again with ' . ' in the error message. So, next I went to the TV, and after some rooting around found out which HD channel had which alias assigned to the actual channel, plugged those numbers in along with the logos from the website topspeed eluded to, and viola, when I press the Media button my favorite channels show up on the display.

So that takes care of that. I also checked the Display Settings menu to see if the Enable Tilt Sensor option was enabled and it was so I ran a Reset To Defaults command, but the problem still exists. Not a big deal right now though.

Cool

The reason I was getting this error: "The IR sequence ' - ' for your TV does not exist" when trying to update the remote after adding some Favorite channels was because the symbol " - " is unrecognized by the software. When I "Removed" all favorites and ran an update again, it was successful. I verified this by trying to add a favorite channel using the " . " symbol, and the error occured again with ' . ' in the error message. So, next I went to the TV, and after some rooting around found out which HD channel had which alias assigned to the actual channel, plugged those numbers in along with the logos from the website topspeed eluded to, and viola, when I press the Media button my favorite channels show up on the display.

So that takes care of that. I also checked the Display Settings menu to see if the Enable Tilt Sensor option was enabled and it was so I ran a Reset To Defaults command, but the problem still exists. Not a big deal right now though.
    I might be a "rent a pig" but you're a guinea pig!
    All of this is rather enlightening.
    My pronto is doing fine but four years old, and will need replacing soon.
    I was thinking about a Harmony but now...
    One of the requirements of an universal remote is that any idiot can master one.
    So I guess the harmony is out of the running
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    Hey a$$hole, I'm here to get advice, not pi$$ed on so why don't you **** off

Cool

Hey a$$hole, I'm here to get advice, not pi$$ed on so why don't you **** off
    So heres' some advice, don't refer to any law enforcement officer, past or present,
    as a PIG. Its really not appreciated.
    Good luck with that intelligence test you refer to as a universal remote.
    Maybe you'll figure it out one of these days, but I kinda doubt it.
    Maybe you can use it to throw at burgulars, if you have the same attitude toward local
    law enforcement they probably won't be in a hurry to get to your house
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    You're so easily bated pix. One thing that remians constant with you is that you've never taken the high road and ignored someone else's jabs. You constantly go toe-to-toe with anyone who crosses you, and that's the leading contributor to your reputation here. And your way is the only way right? If your personality here in a discussion forum is a reflection of your real life persona, then I feel sorry for you.

Now, I started this thread weeks ago to talk about my new remote, which other people here also own, so since you don't own one would you kindly remove yourself from this discussion? I don't see where you need to bad mouth me regarding my HT choices and contribute nothing of value.

You two play nice or there'll be no TV for either of you tonight.

It's a nice day. Why don't you go out and play?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cool

You're so easily bated pix. One thing that remians constant with you is that you've never taken the high road and ignored someone else's jabs. You constantly go toe-to-toe with anyone who crosses you, and that's the leading contributor to your reputation here. And your way is the only way right? If your personality here in a discussion forum is a reflection of your real life persona, then I feel sorry for you.

Now, I started this thread weeks ago to talk about my new remote, which other people here also own, so since you don't own one would you kindly remove yourself from this discussion? I don't see where you need to bad mouth me regarding my HT choices and contribute nothing of value.
    I haven't "bad mouthed" your HT choices, I have critized your HT choices.
    If you take it personally thats your problem. If you paid attention to what I say maybe you might figure out that I KNOW WHAT i'M TALKING ABOUT.
    Take your remote for instance, sounds like its suffering from what I call "machoitis"
    This is derived from the owner not reading the instructions, thinking he can "figure it out"
    by himself. So he tries to treat a complicated piece of gear like a six slot toaster.
    I love to read instruction books, I MAKE EXTRA CASH fixing stuff for friends who can't get theirs to work. I go over, read the instructions, and usually am able to get it to work.
    That phamplet that came with your remote labeled manuel isn't a mexican novel about a taxicab driver. I suggest you read it, especially the part about the setup menu.
    And how to plug it into the USB so that the website can configure it for you.
    I will tell you this, a universal can be complicated, even the simple ones.
    I had a sony, a marantz (still do) and currently a pronto.
    They all take time to vet and get set up properly, its kind of an inverse square law, the more time it takes the more usefull they tend to be.
    Go to remotecentral.com and start reading

AND remember...
    WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Hey! As for me these days it is very difficult to find a good toy for a child, because over the past few decades a whole lot of companies have appeared that are engaged in the production of toys and among all this abundance it is very difficult to choose something, but I can advise you to pay attention to sonny angel uk
    As for me, this toy is perfect for a girl.
    Hope my advice helps someone!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information