AR Newbie Registered Member

Question HT receiver for music?

Would it be a waste of money buying a HT receiver for mostly music? I would use it very little for movies. Does music sound good in surround sound?

Thanks,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig H
    Would it be a waste of money buying a HT receiver for mostly music? I would use it very little for movies. Does music sound good in surround sound?
    If you really want a good music system, I would go separates or at the very least a decent integrated amp and add a tuner (good ones can be had for very little $). I've yet to hear any receiver keep up with good separates. Receivers are designed to do a lot of things well but master none. I went from 2 channel separates to a 5.1 HT set-up and am still trying to get my music reproduction back to where it should be. After adding an amp I'm pretty much there for now, but it was an expensive lesson.

Personally, I can't stand 2 channel music processed into 5.1 (or 6.1/7.1) via PLII or NEO 6. It just screws everything up! Multi-channel hi-rez is another thing altogether but until they really start cranking the production up on sources, I'll be happy with my plain 'ol redbook cd's.

Ultimately, you'll have to decide for yourself. There are a lot people on this board that enjoy listening to music in surround. Get thee down to a shop w/ some of your favorite tunes and find out for yourself. It's your money

Forum Regular

Music, HT? No.

If you will use it mainly for music and not HT...NO. Save your money and get a good stereo set up for the music. It does not need to be processed. SACD may be the future, but product is slim. Go to the amp/preamp board.

Thread Information