Exclamation How much power does your HT consume?

I didn't really thought about this until I got an AC voltmeter plugged into my outlet; my AC voltage drops about 4~8 volts during bass peaks with my current rig, and easily below 110v when I was running a Proton D1200 with 2 15" Eclipse Titanium subs. This got me thinking...now isn't such a voltage sag bad for electronics in general? A lot of good HT amps are high current and boasts over 1000 watts RMS, but what if the power requirements are not met?

Say if you have a projector with a 500watt bulb, a HT receiver that is rated at 170x7, two 1000watt powered subs, two tactile drivers and their amps(prob around 2000watt area), and all the other stuff like DVD player, a PC, HDTV receiver and such, you're talking about a system requirements of a few thousand watts at a peak. What I'm trying to say is that unless your house is new or have a room especially wired for such a demanding electrical equipment you're probably not gonna get the best out of it, and may even damage your equipment.

Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Weister42
    My AC voltage drops about 4~8 volts during bass peaks with my current rig, and easily below 110v when I was running a Proton D1200 with 2 15" Eclipse Titanium subs.
    Those reading indicat that power output at your location is not optimum, and it is not norm. Voltage variation of few volts are acceptable (+/- 5V), but it should NEVER drop below 110 volts. The problem could be to wiring in your house (due to high gauge house wiring and/or too much distance to fuse box, rusty contacts), or from the power company-which you can't do anything about.

The best solution might be to use other AC plugs that are not on the same fuse line to power a HT system also.

nightflier

Also...

I would also have the power company come in and check things out. I had a similar problem when I set up a pretty fancy system for my father. He didn't want to spend any money to fix things, but I insisted. It turned out that the problem was actually at the edge of his property and they fixed everything gratis.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

My total requirment is somewhere near 4k watts at peak

Quote Originally Posted by Weister42
    I didn't really thought about this until I got an AC voltmeter plugged into my outlet; my AC voltage drops about 4~8 volts during bass peaks with my current rig, and easily below 110v when I was running a Proton D1200 with 2 15" Eclipse Titanium subs.

Am I correct?
    That is why I had two dedicated 20 amp lines run to the front wall in my new room. I don't have a power problem now, but in the old room I used to blow the breaker on a regular basis. A dedicated line is a must for any high powered system.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    There was a time when if I turned all my elecctronics on the fans would all slow down.

Thread Information