Forum Regular

Angry Hooking Computer up to Receiver getting hum

Do I just need a better sound card? I'm using AR cable to hook it up but its kind of a long run so I had to use couplers to get it to my Receiver....Could that be the problem?

Forum Regular

Question

Ok let me update this a little bit...I just moved my computer and hooked it up directly to my receiver using a 3ft AR Minijack-to-RCA Connection and I still get the hum even when I don't have it set to that input...So any help well be much appreciated...Thanks in advance

Forum Regular
    alright I'm gonna go with Creative Labs USB SoundBlaster Live! 24-Bit External Sound Card hopefully that takes care of the problem
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Iskreemman
    alright I'm gonna go with Creative Labs USB SoundBlaster Live! 24-Bit External Sound Card hopefully that takes care of the problem

What you are experiencing is a ground loop problem. I think your external sound card will solve the issue.

I have this card and purchased it for exactly the same reason you did. The card itself sounds decent enough but I got it to run the coaxial digital output into an old Sony ES pre/pro that I'm using in my home office in a two channel system. It also has an optical output.

Just so you know it doesn't support DTS but that didn't matter to me since I'm not doing A/V with it. The bundled software is also pretty nice and allows you to convert .wav files to 96/24 wma, 5.1 wma, mp3 up to 320 kbps, etc. and its burning software is on par with Nero.

Not bad for around $40 and keeping the soundcard away from the noisy computer internals completely eliminates hum.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I have this card and purchased it for exactly the same reason you did. The card itself sounds decent enough but I got it to run the coaxial digital output into an old Sony ES pre/pro that I'm using in my home office in a two channel system. It also has an optical output.

Just so you know it doesn't support DTS but that didn't matter to me since I'm not doing A/V with it. The bundled software is also pretty nice and allows you to convert .wav files to 96/24 wma, 5.1 wma, mp3 up to 320 kbps, etc. and its burning software is on par with Nero.

Not bad for around $40 and keeping the soundcard away from the noisy computer internals completely eliminates hum.
    Thanks for the info...DTS doesn't make a difference for me either. I won't be using it for movies, just music and some games

AR lurker
    you need a "ground loop isolator"... about $20 at radio shack.

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...roduct=2700054

Forum Regular

Unhappy

didn't work still get the hum...So here's plan B...Monster Cable Car Silencer Module...It should work...I work for best buy so I get this thing for 12 so why not give it a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

didn't work still get the hum...So here's plan B...Monster Cable Car Silencer Module...It should work...I work for best buy so I get this thing for 12 so why not give it a try.
    Okay this is what you do...you have an AC ground loop running somewhere into your audio chain, so get some 3-prong to 2-prong adapters and use it on everything that have a 3rd prong WITHIN your audio system. Doing so actually voids the purpose of the 3rd ground plug but as long as it is not an electric motor you should be fine, and this will prevent any future AC ground loop interference.

I had the hum problem because my digital cable box shares the same ground as my house's ground, so I disabled the 3rd prong on my computer(the only thing that's hooked up to my audio system that has the 3rd prong).

Bling! Problem solved.

Forum Regular
    the Monster Cable Car Silencer Module worked and only cost me $15 (Love working at Best Buy) took back the sound card and got my $36 back...Thanks for all the advice guys

Thread Information