Forum Regular

Question HK AVR325 VCR Hookup

I connected all the compenents to the a/v but the vcr video doesn't display. i have video (yellow), red and white rca's out of vcr and into a/v and a/v out yellow, red and white cables into vcr. I get the sound but no picture. Can someone please help.
    cadolfan

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cadolfan
    I connected all the compenents to the a/v but the vcr video doesn't display. i have video (yellow), red and white rca's out of vcr and into a/v and a/v out yellow, red and white cables into vcr. I get the sound but no picture. Can someone please help.
    cadolfan
    How are you sending the pic to the TV from the receiver ?

Forum Regular
    S-video

I'm about to move so I haven't hooked my new Denon AVC-A11SR yet but acording to the manual the composite and S-Video are'nt interconnected.

Forum Regular
    S-video
    maybe your receiver doesn not switch the rca to Svideo why not just use a 75ohm coax from the reciver to the tv. I was told the less connections you make the better. so plug your sound in your receiver but go directly from VCR to TV

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys. I think the reciever may not switch from svid to rca. i'll try going straight to the tv. so i will just keep the rca jacks in/out hooked up. will i still be able to record stuff. the vcr has two coax jacks i think one says out to tv and/or in from ant but the tv only has one coax. can i just hook up the rca(yellow) cables in/out from the vcr to the tv rca jacks in/out?
    your main 750hm cable from the wall into your VCR's in (so you can get the picture) then from the out to tv with another coax to the back of the tv. use your red and white for the sound.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow
    maybe your receiver doesn not switch the rca to Svideo why not just use a 75ohm coax from the reciver to the tv. I was told the less connections you make the better. so plug your sound in your receiver but go directly from VCR to TV
    sorry I meant coax from VCR to tv for video and your red and white to receiver for sound.

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys. I think the reciever may not switch from svid to rca. i'll try going straight to the tv. so i will just keep the rca jacks in/out hooked up. will i still be able to record stuff. the vcr has two coax jacks i think one says out to tv and/or in from ant but the tv only has one coax. can i just hook up the rca(yellow) cables in/out from the vcr to the tv rca jacks in/out?

Forum Regular
    got thanks.

just stirring the pot a little...

VCR's only output an analog stereo signal, so no direct connection to the receiver is necessary. Here's my thinking (and how I do it). If you have a spare input on the TV it works great and simplified my life, as well as my wifes.

First off, I have a stereo pair (red/white) of analog cables from the TV's line out to the receiver. Most of what I watch on TV I don't deem "HT worthy" and wind up simply using the internal speakers.

But, when I do find something that's HT worthy (PBS?), I simply switch the receiver to where I have it's audio fed into.

Downside is that when I do want to listen to the TV/VCR through the stereo I change my audio settings to disable the internal amps and speakers. Not a big deal considering most of the time we don't use the stereo for the TV anyway.

Now, for the VCR. I have all its outputs (red/white audio & yellow composite video) hooked to an input on my TV and select it through the TV. ...works out great 'cause all videos output sound is two channel analog, just like TV stations. And both are made to work with DPL (& DPL2)!

AS a bonus, all sound from the VCR is automatically available on the TV speakers, without needing the big stereo.

When the wife has her workout videos going, she only needs the teeny tiny speakers in the TV, which are always on by default. Likewise, when the grandkids are over and watching their !@#$% Barney videos I most certainly don't need the HT.

And no, I haven't noticed any degradation on sound this way. Try "Iron Giant" on VHS for a really good sample of how well this works...
    Last edited by markw; 01-09-2004 at 11:11 AM.

Thread Information