Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911

    HD 8300 Scientific Atlanta DVR Does Anyone Have

    Well after several months Time Warner finally said they are ready to upgrade my HD DVR from the 8000 to the 8300 series. Does anyone have this model? If so, are you: 1. Able to get
    5.1 surround sound on it- something the 8000 couldn't do because they wouldn't program it to do so, 2. Record external copies to a VCR or DVD recorder, again something the 8000 wasn't programmed to do. 3. Does the 8300 save more hours of shows? 4. Can you still only record 2 channels at a time on the 8300 and not watch another channel live?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hershon; 05-21-2005 at 02:18 PM.

  2. #2
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Cant help.i'm Direct TV with TiVo.
    Look & Listen

  3. #3
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    Well after several months Time Warner finally said they are ready to upgrade my HD DVR from the 8000 to the 8300 series. Does anyone have this model? If so, are you: 1. Able to get
    5.1 surround sound on it- something the 8000 couldn't do because they wouldn't program it to do so, 2. Record external copies to a VCR or DVD recorder, again something the 8000 wasn't programmed to do. 3. Does the 8300 save more hours of shows? 4. Can you still only record 2 channels at a time on the 8300 and not watch another channel live?
    Yes, I have the 8300HD and it;

    1) Outputs Dolby EX 5.1 via both toslink and RCA output. As a bonus it has 96/24 DACs that decode and output VERY high quality STEREO sound from the digital music channels. I would put it's sound very close to CD, on some recordings it would be impossible to tell a difference at all.

    2) Outputs Stereo and composite video for copying to either a DVR, or VCR. It also has S-video output, in addition to HDMI output. There's even a SATA harddrive link. I'm not sure if that's active though.

    3) Can record two HD channels at the same time, or one channel and view another of your choice. (of course you can view either shows as you record too) That aside, one of the best features is that it records "on the fly" everything your tuned to whether your recording or not. I cant tell you how may times I've said "I want to see that again" and was able to time slip it back to see it.

    I give the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD a 5 star rating. If your cable or satellite company is offering one I would recommend it without question. It's the best thing that you can get for your TV.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

  4. #4
    AR Member JeffKnob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    265
    I have the 8300HD and it gets 5.1 on certain programs but not all of them. I don't think it will save more shows. I haven't tried to output to a VCR because I hate the way VCR recordings look.

    Here is a link to a post where I answered you previously about the question of whether the 8300 does 5.1 or not.
    Coax or optical for 5.1 from Time Warner DVR8300

  5. #5
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    Well after several months Time Warner finally said they are ready to upgrade my HD DVR from the 8000 to the 8300 series. Does anyone have this model? If so, are you: 1. Able to get
    5.1 surround sound on it- something the 8000 couldn't do because they wouldn't program it to do so, 2. Record external copies to a VCR or DVD recorder, again something the 8000 wasn't programmed to do. 3. Does the 8300 save more hours of shows? 4. Can you still only record 2 channels at a time on the 8300 and not watch another channel live?
    Hershon,is that you?
    Look & Listen

  6. #6
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911

    Geoffcin & JeffKnob a few Questions for You, Please

    Are you guys on Time Warner Cable & when did you get the 8300? Out here in LA, they've taken ages to finally make the 8300 available as opposed to the 8000 which I've had for a year or so. A few questions for you: 1.For 5.1 sound, do you just have to attach a fiber optic cable to your receiver from this as it didn't work with the 8000. 2. My 8000 had the external video & audio outputs but Time Warner never activated them. Have they actually activated the 8300? If not, is there a way to get someone to activate this for you? 3. On the 8000 I could record 2 channels (both can be HD) at the same time but I can't watch a third channel live. I'm sure this is still the case on the 8300. 4. What do you mean by on the fly recording? You don't mean that if you missed a show , you can go to the online guide and still record it, right? I'm getting mine on Friday. Oh, I only have a DVR for the living room. Do you think its a waste of money to buy one for the bedroom too as you can't
    transfer recorded shows from one DVR to the other right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Yes, I have the 8300HD and it;

    1) Outputs Dolby EX 5.1 via both toslink and RCA output. As a bonus it has 96/24 DACs that decode and output VERY high quality STEREO sound from the digital music channels. I would put it's sound very close to CD, on some recordings it would be impossible to tell a difference at all.

    2) Outputs Stereo and composite video for copying to either a DVR, or VCR. It also has S-video output, in addition to HDMI output. There's even a SATA harddrive link. I'm not sure if that's active though.

    3) Can record two HD channels at the same time, or one channel and view another of your choice. (of course you can view either shows as you record too) That aside, one of the best features is that it records "on the fly" everything your tuned to whether your recording or not. I cant tell you how may times I've said "I want to see that again" and was able to time slip it back to see it.

    I give the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD a 5 star rating. If your cable or satellite company is offering one I would recommend it without question. It's the best thing that you can get for your TV.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911

    PS JeffKnob

    Thanks for the link. You can get a good Lite On 5001 DVD Stand Alone recorder that's very good and easy to use for around $170 or so new online if you're not happy with VCR recordings. I rarely use my VCR anymore.

  8. #8
    AR Member JeffKnob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    265
    My service is through Time Warner. I have had my box for over 6 months. I had the regular nonHD 8000 before that.

    I just connected my cable box to my receiver via an optical cable, a composite audio cable (for non-digital channels), and a component video cable. My receiver then switches automatically to the digital signal if it is available.

    I have never used the outputs for recording so I don't know if they work or not.

    As with the 8000 I can record two programs at one time but then I can only watch something already recorded. If I only have one thing recording I can watch another channel.

    What is meant by the on the fly recording is this. Say you start watching a show, the box will record that show from the point you start watching it (if it is the beginning it will start from the beginning). This is in case you want to rewind and also if you decide half way through or at the end that you want to see that again you can select to record it and it will be able to save it from the beginning because it has been recording it on its own just in case.

  9. #9
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,326

    I've got Cablevision.

    Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    Are you guys on Time Warner Cable & when did you get the 8300? Out here in LA, they've taken ages to finally make the 8300 available as opposed to the 8000 which I've had for a year or so. A few questions for you: 1.For 5.1 sound, do you just have to attach a fiber optic cable to your receiver from this as it didn't work with the 8000. 2. My 8000 had the external video & audio outputs but Time Warner never activated them. Have they actually activated the 8300? If not, is there a way to get someone to activate this for you? 3. On the 8000 I could record 2 channels (both can be HD) at the same time but I can't watch a third channel live. I'm sure this is still the case on the 8300. 4. What do you mean by on the fly recording? You don't mean that if you missed a show , you can go to the online guide and still record it, right? I'm getting mine on Friday. Oh, I only have a DVR for the living room. Do you think its a waste of money to buy one for the bedroom too as you can't
    transfer recorded shows from one DVR to the other right?
    I use the RCA digital output, but if you've got toslink it's the same. You'll only get DD-EX output from channels that deliver it. Most of the HD channels are all DD too. For my it's $10 a month for each unit. I no longer use TV in the bedroom, so I couldn't tell you if it was worth it or not.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The definition of "Theory" and perhaps other big words...
    By piece-it pete in forum Off Topic/Non Audio
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 11:22 PM
  2. New Time Warner Cable HD 8300 DVR Replaces 8000!
    By hershon in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 04:53 AM
  4. Is a cable "Fence-sitter" always a Fence-sitter?
    By Tony_Montana in forum Cables
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 09:38 PM
  5. Testing and the Scientific Method
    By pctower in forum Cables
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 12:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •