MCF
    Forum Regular

Coax or optical for 5.1 from Time Warner DVR8300

I have an optical cable going from my Time Warner DVR 8300 to my Harman Kardon reciever. I have not been able to get 5.1 sound when watching tv. I asked Time Warner if I need to make an adjustment to a menu and there response was, "You will use SPDIF coaxial which supports 5.1 digital sound". Am I missing something?? Shouldn't I be able to get 5.1 using optical cable? If not, what is the purpose of putting an optical connection on the cable box? Perhaps the person that responded from Time Warner does not know what they are talking about....

Forum Regular
    What city are you in? I'm in LA and am on the waiting list for the 8300, I have the 8000. What ticks me off about Time Warner is they never inform you about anything- i.e. I had to find out on this board that HD DVR's were even available from them, then they didn't tell me the 8300 was even out as they had originally told me the 8000 would be programmed by them to make external VHS/DVD copies- it hasn't. I just found out last week that the 8000 can't even get 5.1 sound and that I should exchange mine for the 8300 which of course is not widely available here.

I'd suggest, even though Time Warner's party line is, our Cable Installers "won't connect your receiver's 5.1 sound", having a technician come to your house. They probably won't charge and even if they do, tell them you want to upgrade (before someone comes over) to the $1 more upgrade plan where they'll make 1 free trip a year to your home. You can then cancel this the following week and it will only cost you a $1.

You've probably talked to some woman at Time Warner who English is a second language for. I would not rely on someone like that's phone advice. Theoretically, and you probably know this, an optic cable fro the DVR's audio out to your receiver's optical in should work
    (You may have to use the auxillary option on your receiver and make sure its set to digital). Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    I have an optical cable going from my Time Warner DVR 8300 to my Harman Kardon reciever. I have not been able to get 5.1 sound when watching tv. I asked Time Warner if I need to make an adjustment to a menu and there response was, "You will use SPDIF coaxial which supports 5.1 digital sound". Am I missing something?? Shouldn't I be able to get 5.1 using optical cable? If not, what is the purpose of putting an optical connection on the cable box? Perhaps the person that responded from Time Warner does not know what they are talking about....

IRG
    I also have a Time Warner cable box, though I forget the number. Anyway, I just hooked it up to a new NAD receiver. Here is what I have done, and how it works. I have a coaxial output on mine, not an optical, no big deal. Anyway, I also use a standard RCA cable connection to my receiver in addition to the digital cable. Why? Because some stations aren't using digital audio still. So when I listen to NBC for example, it is not a digital signal, and my rca cable is doing the work (and the coaxial connection blinks on my receiver). But if I switch it to one of my kids cartoon stations (how ironic is this?) then the light stops blinking, and my NAD informs that it is receiving a Dolby Digital signal.

I was concerned, because my NAD dealer thought that if there was no digital signal coming from the digital cable, it would send only white noise and in a sense trick the receiver into thinking this was the signal. I am pleased to report that hasn't happened.

So my advice is to hook up both the digital cable and a rca cable. Go into yout receiver's menu, and make sure that both analog and digital connections are selected. Let me know if this helps.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice, which I'll use whenever I get the 8300? How is your Nad receiver working- do you notice any improvement in CD or DVD sound?

Quote Originally Posted by IRG
    I also have a Time Warner cable box, though I forget the number. Anyway, I just hooked it up to a new NAD receiver. Here is what I have done, and how it works. I have a coaxial output on mine, not an optical, no big deal. Anyway, I also use a standard RCA cable connection to my receiver in addition to the digital cable. Why? Because some stations aren't using digital audio still. So when I listen to NBC for example, it is not a digital signal, and my rca cable is doing the work (and the coaxial connection blinks on my receiver). But if I switch it to one of my kids cartoon stations (how ironic is this?) then the light stops blinking, and my NAD informs that it is receiving a Dolby Digital signal.

I was concerned, because my NAD dealer thought that if there was no digital signal coming from the digital cable, it would send only white noise and in a sense trick the receiver into thinking this was the signal. I am pleased to report that hasn't happened.

So my advice is to hook up both the digital cable and a rca cable. Go into yout receiver's menu, and make sure that both analog and digital connections are selected. Let me know if this helps.

They may be blowing smoke up your dress.

Both Toslink (optical) abd coaxial pass "SPDIF" signals. Where they might have a grain of truth is that many times local cable companies contract woth box suppliers in order to "decontent" (read: remove features) to savethem a few pennies. i.e... it might have the coaxial output operative but have disconnected the guts behind the toslink.

Try an interconnect and use the coaxial input on your receiver.

Second, not all stations broadcast a digital signal at all times. Is it possible that you were listening to one of them?

Follow IRG's advice and run, along with a coaxial cable, the red/white analog inputs to your receiver and make sure it's set to "Auto", whereby if a digital signal is present it will use that. If not, then it will default to the plain ole analog sound.

MCF
    Forum Regular

Hmmm...

I live in Houston. I have both an optical cable and standard audio cables going from the cable box to the AVR (per the recommendation from Harman Kardon for the exact reason you describe). I have the input on the Harmon Kardon set to optical and it recognizes if it is not getting optical and changes to standard audio. Every channel I have watched is showing all 5.1 boxes lit on the reciever, but only L and R are shown on the front right and left (telling me I am getting standard 5 channel stereo). Maybe I have not selected a channel with digital sound yet. Also, how do I know I am getting HD.....the picture so far does not look that much better than regular cable. I just got the DVR 8300 about two weeks ago.

MCF
    Forum Regular

if the guts were disconnected...

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Both Toslink (optical) abd coaxial pass "SPDIF" signals. Where they might have a grain of truth is that many times local cable companies contract woth box suppliers in order to "decontent" (read: remove features) to savethem a few pennies. i.e... it might have the coaxial output operative but have disconnected the guts behind the toslink.

Try an interconnect and use the coaxial input on your receiver.

Second, not all stations broadcast a digital signal at all times. Is it possible that you were listening to one of them?

Follow IRG's advice and run, along with a coaxial cable, the red/white analog inputs to your receiver and make sure it's set to "Auto", whereby if a digital signal is present it will use that. If not, then it will default to the plain ole analog sound.
    If the guts behind the optical were disconnected, would I get any sound at all if it was the only cable hooked up for sound? For a while, I had no analog cables run from teh box to the reciever and I was still getting sound out of the optical...just not 5.1 sound...

OK, I was wrong on that one.

If the guts behind the optical were disconnected, would I get any sound at all if it was the only cable hooked up for sound? For a while, I had no analog cables run from teh box to the reciever and I was still getting sound out of the optical...just not 5.1 sound...
    Feel free to ignore my other advice as well.

Something else to think about... not all "digital" signals have to be 5.1. They can be mono (1.0), stereo (2.0), etc... Could you perhaps be expecting the 6:00 news to be broadcast in 5.1? Here's a hint. Many, not all, TV programs have been broadcast in MTS stereo for about the last 15- 20 years or so. ...and you don't even need a digital connection to receive them! The first one I remember was the first episode of ST:TNG and that was in '87.

Or perhaps you should check with your receiver's customer support since you are sure the cable box is delivering the correct signal.
    Last edited by markw; 03-23-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Forum Regular

Mcf

If you aren't sure you're getting HD then you are in major trouble. First off, you can only watch HD on the HD Channels from your cable company. IE, NBC is Channel 4 but the HD NBC is 1104 here in LA. If you watch channels that are not HD channels you will not get HD pictures & assuming you have a widescreen TV, grey bars by the picture.

I know most prime time shows on the Networks are HD Broadcast so you should check those out (Sometimes HD broadcasts like the Apprentice still are not fully widescreen).
    I suggest you go to Discovery HD Channel right now, which is on HD all the time. If you don't notice an HD widescreen picture then, you're not getting HD.

I live in Houston. I have both an optical cable and standard audio cables going from the cable box to the AVR (per the recommendation from Harman Kardon for the exact reason you describe). I have the input on the Harmon Kardon set to optical and it recognizes if it is not getting optical and changes to standard audio. Every channel I have watched is showing all 5.1 boxes lit on the reciever, but only L and R are shown on the front right and left (telling me I am getting standard 5 channel stereo). Maybe I have not selected a channel with digital sound yet. Also, how do I know I am getting HD.....the picture so far does not look that much better than regular cable. I just got the DVR 8300 about two weeks ago.

Once again this is why Direct TV (or I suppose other satellite providers, rules) and fat-cat cable company incompetant morons suck. You shouldn't have to be an electtrical engineer to receive your digital (or analog) audio and video.

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Feel free to ignore my other advice as well.

Something else to think about... not all "digital" signals have to be 5.1. They can be mono (1.0), stereo (2.0), etc... Could you perhaps be expecting the 6:00 news to be broadcast in 5.1? Here's a hint. Many, not all, TV programs have been broadcast in MTS stereo for about the last 15- 20 years or so. ...and you don't even need a digital connection to receive them! The first one I remember was the first episode of ST:TNG and that was in '87.

Or perhaps you should check with your receiver's customer support since you are sure the cable box is delivering the correct signal.
    Exactly, the "digital" experience can still (and often) be just 2 channel. Funny my kids cartoon channels are all in digital, but the big networks aren't. Also sometimes, it depends on the show. CBS CSI Miami broadcasts in DD 5.1 but most of the time, the network is not sending a digital signal, thanks to TW.

Forum Regular
    Time Warner in LA at least is not carrying the WB & UPN in HD.

Exactly, the "digital" experience can still (and often) be just 2 channel. Funny my kids cartoon channels are all in digital, but the big networks aren't. Also sometimes, it depends on the show. CBS CSI Miami broadcasts in DD 5.1 but most of the time, the network is not sending a digital signal, thanks to TW.

IRG

Correct myself

Well last night, I watched CSI: NY which also boldly stated that the broadcast was in 5.1 Well, my receiver did not broadcast in digital at all. Not 2.0, not 5.1. Simply it was still in analog. I even went back into the input menu, turned off the analog connection, and left the digital connection on, and no signal at all.

My guess, is the CBS advertises this as a 5.1 broadcast, but it is still up to the individual cable companies to decide whether or not to make it a digital broadcast. And clearly, Time Warner where I live, chooses not to.

Forum Regular

You Should Get a Cable Person To Check It Out

I think you'd be best off having a cable person from Time Warner check out your system.

Well last night, I watched CSI: NY which also boldly stated that the broadcast was in 5.1 Well, my receiver did not broadcast in digital at all. Not 2.0, not 5.1. Simply it was still in analog. I even went back into the input menu, turned off the analog connection, and left the digital connection on, and no signal at all.

My guess, is the CBS advertises this as a 5.1 broadcast, but it is still up to the individual cable companies to decide whether or not to make it a digital broadcast. And clearly, Time Warner where I live, chooses not to.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Once again this is why Direct TV (or I suppose other satellite providers, rules) and fat-cat cable company incompetant morons suck. You shouldn't have to be an electtrical engineer to receive your digital (or analog) audio and video.

You got that right!!! I don't know about DTV but Time Warner sucks pretty hard when a problem occurs.

Forum Regular
    I use to be a fan of Time Warner but not anymore. On their behalf, I still am getting agood deal for my money in regards to my HD Service, HD DVR, Roadunner & premium cables plus they always show up on time in their appointments, at least in LA. However if cable companies didn't have a monopoly, why is that by the way, maybe services would be better.
    My main beef with Time Warner in LA & I will be writing a letter to the head of Time Warner, is, and this makes no sense at all, they do a terrible job in promoting and selling their own product and services- specifically I had to find out on this board that they even had HD DVR's, then I had to find out third hand from them that my HD 8000 hasn't been programmed, its only been 6 months, LOL, for 5.1 sound & hasn't been programmed so you can record to VHS or DVD. I then find out that the HD DVR 8300 which they have can do this and I can make a free exchange. I call them up just to be on the safe side than just disconnect mine & exchange it for a it without an appointment as they suggested, and they now tell me there is a waiting list of over 500 people for it and they have to install it.
    Plus the supposed technicians sound like people who just escaped by boat into the US!

Quote Originally Posted by jrflanne
    You got that right!!! I don't know about DTV but Time Warner sucks pretty hard when a problem occurs.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    I use to be a fan of Time Warner but not anymore. On their behalf, I still am getting agood deal for my money in regards to my HD Service, HD DVR, Roadunner & premium cables plus they always show up on time in their appointments, at least in LA. However if cable companies didn't have a monopoly, why is that by the way, maybe services would be better.
    My main beef with Time Warner in LA & I will be writing a letter to the head of Time Warner, is, and this makes no sense at all, they do a terrible job in promoting and selling their own product and services- specifically I had to find out on this board that they even had HD DVR's, then I had to find out third hand from them that my HD 8000 hasn't been programmed, its only been 6 months, LOL, for 5.1 sound & hasn't been programmed so you can record to VHS or DVD. I then find out that the HD DVR 8300 which they have can do this and I can make a free exchange. I call them up just to be on the safe side than just disconnect mine & exchange it for a it without an appointment as they suggested, and they now tell me there is a waiting list of over 500 people for it and they have to install it.
    Plus the supposed technicians sound like people who just escaped by boat into the US!
    I have the 8300HD connected to my receiver via analog cables and an optical cable. I get digital sound on some of the channels. Most of the time only 2 channel. The network stations are almost always analog even if they display that they are in 5.1. When I view one of the network HD channels and it says it is in 5.1, it is in 5.1. Some of the movies on HBO are in 5.1 and some of the pay-per-view movies are in 5.1. I have watched CSI in 5.1 and you aren't missing anything. I am sure very little time is spent on the mix for 5.1 and it really shows. The movies in 5.1 sound the same as if they were from DVD.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    PS3 Bluray
    Denon DVD-1920
    Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma
    HR21 HD DVR
    Paradigm Esprit (front), Focus (rear), CC270 (center)

2 - 15" Dayton HF subwoofers
    Two Soundstream M1 monoblock amps for the subwoofer

Thread Information