Forum Regular

Question Got that Alesis EQ, now what?

I'm not sure exactly what to do from here. I have a radio shack digital SPL meter and a IASCA Test cd that has 1/3 octave test tones. But I'm sure that it can't be as simple as just getting each frequency at the same volume. Is someone able to guide me?

Need more info. Is it a parametric unit? Are you using it for subwoofer equalization or for your mains?

If you're using it for subwoofer equalization, you need to measure your in-room response first to see if you even need an equalizer in the first place (odds are that an equalizer will help). 1/3 octave intervals are probably too wide for identifying specific problem frequencies with your in-room response. There are plenty of sites out there where you can download MP3 test tones or you can order Stryke's test disc for $11.

http://www.stryke.com/shop/catalog/p...d21f0e86105f8c

Once you have your response mapped out, you can spot where the inaccuracies occur. A parametric equalizer will allow you to set the center frequency point where the problematic peaks occur, and set the bandwidth depending on how wide the problem area is. A graphic equalizer has fixed center points and bandwidths, so those will not be as effective as a parametric unit.

Forum Regular

More info on the system

I am using the Alesis MEQ-230. It's a 30 band graphic EQ. The speakers are JBL S-38II's coupled with a DLS Titanic/ Vance Dickason powered sub. Let me know if more info is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix_glitch
    I am using the Alesis MEQ-230. It's a 30 band graphic EQ. The speakers are JBL S-38II's coupled with a DLS Titanic/ Vance Dickason powered sub. Let me know if more info is needed.
    Hmmm ... if you're using a home theater receiver, the only use for an equalizer really is for the subwoofer, or for equalizing one component's analog outputs. Even with 30 bands, a graphic equalizer is probably not the best bet for a subwoofer, unless your peaks just happen to occur at a frequency controlled through the equalizer. Home theatre receivers generally lack the tape monitor or premain coupler needed to add a graphic equalizer and use it to control all sound outputs.

Forum Regular

More info

I'm using a Technics SA-AX7 receiver that has both a tape monitor function as well as a built in crossover, so the EQ will be operating the stereo mode for music cd for both the speakers and sub.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix_glitch
    I'm using a Technics SA-AX7 receiver that has both a tape monitor function as well as a built in crossover, so the EQ will be operating the stereo mode for music cd for both the speakers and sub.
    In that case, if your test disc has test tones that match the slide positions on your equalizer, then using it properly really is as simple as getting the same output level at each frequency. Still might be tricky with the low frequencies, but play around with it and see how you like the results.

Thread Information