Thread: a/v receiver

Forum Regular

a/v receiver

New to the a/v market. Tried doing extensive research on the web and have listened to some HTIB systems at BB and Circuit City. Not satisfied with the power and sound quality.

I have purchased an Infinity HTS20 speaker system (including sub).

I have narrowed my choices to the Denon 3803/3802, Yamaha rx-v2400, and the Onkyo txsr701.

Any advice as to these choices, or any other suggestions? I have listened to all of them in the showroom and cannot hear a great difference in them.

Thanks.

JSE
    All of them are going to be pretty equal to each other as far as the main features. I would go with the Yamaha 2400 or even the 1400. The 1400 has basically all the same features except for the ability to link to a computer and has 10 less watts but for the most part, the same. The 1400 is a hundred or two less depending on where you buy. The Yamaha's also have the auto calibration feature that the others don't.

Basically, the Yamaha 2400 and 1400 are the two most advance receivers in their price range right now. The other models you mentioned are getting close to the end of their cycle. I would get the most advance to future proof as long as possible.

However, any of the ones you mentioned will work great and they are all great receivers. You will be happy with any one of them.

JSE

My opinion...keep listening, go to some hifi shops and hear more gear...
    they really like the denon's over at CNET reviews, however in this steep price range you can also consider more serious hifi gear like NAD & Rotel & B&K possibly. These may be rated lower than the 100wpc you are used to seeing, but they will be more powerful and dynamic. I am using a Nad integraded rated at like 45wpc and it blows the doors off my old HK 65wpc and a Pioneer 100wpc receivers!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me you are only looking at circuit city type stuff so far...listen to some high end stuff, cause your not far off when looking at something as pricey as the 3803. Another option is a cheaper model receiver with preouts and run an amp for the mains.

Also, a receiver with quality amp section will handle 8 & 4ohm loads easily. Look below, the NAD puts out 175 wpc at 2 ohms! This tells you there are quality amplifiers / power supply on board...

http://www.800stereo.com/prods/nad-t-742.html

Forum Regular
    Thanks. Now I'm reeling with confusion...lol. I have been sold on the idea of more power = better sound. Can I get great sound from the NADs 50wpc w/o the amp. Can my Infinity speakers handle the 175 wpc at 2 ohms?
    Last edited by crane0271; 12-30-2003 at 07:53 PM.

Forum Regular

Yamaha 1400

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    All of them are going to be pretty equal to each other as far as the main features. I would go with the Yamaha 2400 or even the 1400. The 1400 has basically all the same features except for the ability to link to a computer and has 10 less watts but for the most part, the same. The 1400 is a hundred or two less depending on where you buy. The Yamaha's also have the auto calibration feature that the others don't.

Basically, the Yamaha 2400 and 1400 are the two most advance receivers in their price range right now. The other models you mentioned are getting close to the end of their cycle. I would get the most advance to future proof as long as possible.

However, any of the ones you mentioned will work great and they are all great receivers. You will be happy with any one of them.

JSE
    Thanks JSE. I was wrong earlier, I have not been able to listen to either of the Yamaha receivers...I am only going by a LOT of recommendations and several reviews on this website. I HAVE heard some of the choices at BB but they just aren't the level I want.

This choice is closer to my budget median; the Denon was going to streeeeetch things a bit.

My next problem is that the local Yamaha dealer has recently stopped being a Yamaha dealer...so I am left with nowhere to go listen. My only option seems to be to buy it online and try it out...then send it back if not satisfied.

Don't dis the Elite line of Pioneer, the are great for HT, have all the inputs you need and the room calibration as the Yamaha, Try the 53Txi or step up to the 45 or 47
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular

Another Option...

You might want to check out Tweeter.com. They are closing out the Denon AVR1082, which appears to be the AVR 3802 under another model #. (check out the reviews for the AVR1082) 110 W/CH., 7 descrite amps. $488 w/ free shipping. Not as many inputs as the 3803, and no up conversion for component outs. If you can live w/ not owning the latest, you might want to check it out. I just picked up one myself. Could not justify the extra $330 for the Marantz 7400 (my other choice), as I too, am on a budget.

Forum Regular
    thanks. I'll check it out. I had already heard that they might be the same model. Thanks for the confimation.

The sound quality differences between most comparably receivers are relatively subtle in the default modes. You didn't notice any great tonal differences between those receiver models because they likely don't exist. You won't hear anything like a "night and day" difference unless you've got the DSP modes engaged (big differences in how various processor chips handle the DSP effects) or you're using difficult speakers (some receivers audibly distort when you play low efficiency low impedance speakers at moderately high volumes). If you level match the outputs, you'd be hard pressed to identify any obvious differences in sound quality. You get slight improvements in the power supply sections as you move up the various price points, but if you really want noticeable improvements, then you basically have to go up to separates, which are an entirely different price class altogether.

If you mention that you're not happy with the "power and sound quality" of the units that you auditioned at BB and CC, that might have more to do with the poor quality of the speakers hooked up to them, colorations added by the switch board, the bad acoustics of the demo rooms, or improper setup, than anything inherent to the receiver itself.

Between the models that you listed, the Yamaha probably has a leg up only because of its YPAO room acoustic calibration feature (questionable if it was properly done at the dealer's demo room). If you rank order the components of your system that will make the biggest and most audible difference, the speakers and room acoustics are by far the biggest dealmakers/breakers. Amplification and digital front end sources are way back in importance. The YPAO directly addresses some of the major problems caused by room acoustics, and for that reason alone, it will potentially give you the biggest difference in sound quality compared to the other receivers.

Otherwise, the real differences between receivers are in their user-friendliness, connectivity, and reliability. They basically all have the same features and format support, or will soon be succeeded by a new model that has all of that. I don't agree with choosing a receiver because of one feature (most of the convenience features are nice but not dealmakers IMO), but the YPAO on that Yamaha is potentially a very compelling feature that can make a real difference in sound quality. I'm pretty sure you'll soon see this on a lot of other competing models. But, for now Yamaha and Pioneer are the only receivers in your price range that have that type of function.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 12-31-2003 at 01:18 PM.

Thread Information