Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Is one hands down better than the other? Otherwise, I'm just going with whatever is cheaper.

I want to buy the cables today so that I only have to do the set up once. It's a big hassle to have to remove components from the stand to change wires. Since I already have an HDMI cable, I think that all I need is an audio cable and a flash drive for the wifi.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    So do I need both a coaxial digital cable and an optical digital cable? The manual shows that I need both.

Also the optical cable GM recommended was $5. But I'm looking on www.tigerdirect.ca (note the dot ca and not com) and the optical cables are expensive. Am I missing something or are they really that much more expensive here???
    They don't have a great selection there.

If you're getting both HDMI and an optical cable, I'd recommend:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Plated-Hig...2960898&sr=1-5

you can spend more money and possibly get slightly better performance but I bet these do the trick.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Since I already have an HDMI cable, I think that all I need is an audio cable and a flash drive for the wifi.
    Amazon has some optical cables for $5-$10 that'll work too, in that case...treat yourself to some new music and get free shipping!

Is one hands down better than the other? Otherwise, I'm just going with whatever is cheaper.

I want to buy the cables today so that I only have to do the set up once. It's a big hassle to have to remove components from the stand to change wires. Since I already have an HDMI cable, I think that all I need is an audio cable and a flash drive for the wifi.
    Not much difference. Maybe a slight edge to the coax.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cool. Coax is cheaper. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Amazon has some optical cables for $5-$10 that'll work too, in that case...treat yourself to some new music and get free shipping!
    I like the way you think!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I understand that coax is more durable. Optical has a certain cool factor though.

"My system is so advanced that I use fiber optics to transmit the sound from my BR player to my AVR receiver."

Not that that has ever come up in a conversation.
    LOL
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    I wouldn't buy cheap optical. They are plastic and not an accurate conductor of light, it's prone to distortions. Keep in mind with optical the digital is converted to light then back again. Things get worse from there if the cable has to turn or bend.

So it took a little playing around. For some reason if I use a digital cable with my receiver, I also have to have a video cable connected to the reciever for the digital cable to work. But I finally figured it out and I'm up and running in true surround sound.

And you guys are right. It does make a difference! Far out!

Thanks for your help! I never could have done this without you guys.

Next step...trying to get the Wifi to work. Maybe I'll leave that until tomorrow and just enjoy the BD player for today.

Suspended
    Look at that tech girl Glad to hear you are off and running. How did Ice Age look?

Congrats. Glad you are happy with it. But I'm with Mr P. Where's the review?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

It turned out that I didn't have a chance to watch more than about 15 minutes of Ice Age...just long enough to be wowed by the picture and sound and make sure it all worked. I haven't even put a regular DVD or CD into the player yet.

I also got Lost S5 on Blu ray last night. I'm hoping to have time to watch Ice Age and few Lost episodes this week to really test things out properly.

I'll keep you posted.

Suspended
    It turned out that I didn't have a chance to watch more than about 15 minutes of Ice Age...just long enough to be wowed by the picture and sound and make sure it all worked. I haven't even put a regular DVD or CD into the player yet.

I also got Lost S5 on Blu ray last night. I'm hoping to have time to watch Ice Age and few Lost episodes this week to really test things out properly.

I'll keep you posted.
    Another satisfied customere enjoy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information