Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

A few basic questions...

Here's where my ignorance really stands out.

We have a Toshiba upconverting DVD recorder. We use it for both watching DVDs and playing CDs. But more for playing CDs...we don't watch a lot of DVDs in general.

In the last few days, we've noticed that the sound coming from the player sounds distorted. But not all the time. Everything will sound fine then suddenly the sound will get kind of garbled then it'll smooth out again. It sounds like when you aren't quite on the radio station and you get that fine line of white noise underneath the music.

Anyhow, after a few CDs last night, the bad sound became more frequent so Hubby went to turn the player off and we switched to my iPod. He said that the DVD player was really hot.

Could the heat be affecting the sound?
    What would cause the DVD player to heat up this way?
    Can this be fixed or do we need to replace it?

I've never liked this player, from the day I bought it. So I'm happy to replace it if I have a reason to do so. We needed the DVD recorder for a one-time use when we changed cable providers and had to save what was on our PVR, but we don't have a use for the recorder option anymore.

If I have to replace this unit, should I switch to Blu-ray?

Can I play regular DVDs on Blu-ray?
    Can I play CDs on Blu-ray?
    Since we use the player more for audio than for video, would I be better off getting separate CD and DVD/BR players?

Thanks.

I had a Toshiba upconverting DVD player and shortly after the warrranty expired it chose to not read about one out of three disks, at random. The only thing i initially liked about it was it's price and when the problems started, that became a moot point.

My guess is that repairing it woud cost more than it's worth.

If I were in your shoes I would go for a Blu-ray player.

Yes, Blu-ray players play (and up-convert) regular DVD's and also play CD's as well.

Some combo units also play SACD as well but these are not usually entry level units.

SACD playback requires an analog 5.1 connection to your receiver but the good thig is that these generally also pass the new hi-glitz Blu-ray audio through that as well. With one of these you'll have the best of both worlds.

the big buzz now is the Oppo 83 (or whatever). It plays anything you can throw at it and it does it well. Rickster has one and, come this spring, so will I.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I agree with Mark. I too am considering Blu-Ray. Consider this though, where do all of the T.O.T.L. DVD players go when their owners upgrade? Blu-Ray aside, you can now buy a used Oppo DVD/CD/SACD player for a song on Ebay/Audiogon. I'm talkin not even a hundred bucks!

Sure, it won't play Blu-Ray, but it will play EVERYTHING else. It would play CD's much better than your Toshiba, that's for sure. Just an idea if you don't care about Blu-Ray and want to hold out. Otherwise, if you see yourself getting a BR in the near future, sounds like a good time to do it.

I looked up the Oppo 83. At that price, I'd rather get one of those $78 BR players and invest in a separate CD player. As mentioned before, we don't watch a lot of movies so I see no reason to drop $600 or $700 on a Blu-ray player.

One of the issues that I would have with buying a BR player off of ebay is that the warranty would likely not be valid in Canada. It would have to be a really good deal to offset the cost of shipping and no warranty.

What else ya got for me? And...further to my other post here, regarding my brother's issues, what's the deal with Sony?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I looked up the Oppo 83. At that price, I'd rather get one of those $78 BR players and invest in a separate CD player. As mentioned before, we don't watch a lot of movies so I see no reason to drop $600 or $700 on a Blu-ray player.

One of the issues that I would have with buying a BR player off of ebay is that the warranty would likely not be valid in Canada. It would have to be a really good deal to offset the cost of shipping and no warranty.

What else ya got for me? And...further to my other post here, regarding my brother's issues, what's the deal with Sony?
    FA, there are many Bluray players in the $120-170 dollar price point on Amazon that are quite good at CD, DVD, and Bluray playback. There is no use in staying at the same or lower technology for disc playback when some of the cheaper major manufacturers do all of that plus Bluray. It will give you the opportunity to rent Bluray's and experience 1080p HD content.

Read my response on the other thread about Sony and your brother's Bluray player
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    FA, there are many Bluray players in the $120-170 dollar price point on Amazon that are quite good at CD, DVD, and Bluray playback. There is no use in staying at the same or lower technology for disc playback when some of the cheaper major manufacturers do all of that plus Bluray. It will give you the opportunity to rent Bluray's and experience 1080p HD content.

Read my response on the other thread about Sony and your brother's Bluray player
    Thanks Sir T. Much appreciated.

Any thoughts on this one? I can get it price matched at $199.

Remember, these are Canadian prices so they may seem a little high to you, in comparison to the US prices.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Thanks Sir T. Much appreciated.

Any thoughts on this one? I can get it price matched at $199.

Remember, these are Canadian prices so they may seem a little high to you, in comparison to the US prices.
    Hey FA,

I got that Sony unit for Christmas along with a $150 LG model that Futureshop also has...my wife got me the cheaper one, and my new favorite uncle got me the Sony. The picture quality and feature set of the Sony is nice. I have it hooked up to my 32" TV.
    To be honest, I find the LG just as good for BluRay, when connected to just a TV. if there's a difference I can't really tell, but I've only watched 1 full movie on each player and went through several scenes of some other discs I have. The Sony has a built in DTS-MA and Dolby True HD audio decoder if I read the manual right, which is nice if your receiver has 5.1 inputs. My LG requires an HDMI cable to pass the new fancy lossless audio tracks BluRay has. That's probably not a big deal to you if you don't watch a ton of movies.

Anyway, first impression is favorable for both units.

I haven't tried a CD in either yet to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hey FA,

I got that Sony unit for Christmas along with a $150 LG model that Futureshop also has...my wife got me the cheaper one, and my new favorite uncle got me the Sony. The picture quality and feature set of the Sony is nice. I have it hooked up to my 32" TV.
    To be honest, I find the LG just as good for BluRay, when connected to just a TV. if there's a difference I can't really tell, but I've only watched 1 full movie on each player and went through several scenes of some other discs I have. The Sony has a built in DTS-MA and Dolby True HD audio decoder if I read the manual right, which is nice if your receiver has 5.1 inputs. My LG requires an HDMI cable to pass the new fancy lossless audio tracks BluRay has. That's probably not a big deal to you if you don't watch a ton of movies.

Anyway, first impression is favorable for both units.

I haven't tried a CD in either yet to be honest...
    Thanks Kex. That's great to know! My husband has a pre-concieved notion that LG products are crap given that LG used to be Goldstar. So I'd rather go with the Sony just to keep him happy. I'm going to head over to BB and Future shop in a little while to check things out.

Suspended
    If you are using a digital connection (optical/coaxial) for audio to the receiver there shouldn't be any difference in sound between players, or very little between players as the receiver will be doing the decoding. The difference in sound quality comes into play when using analog connections.

If you get a cheap player for movies and interested in good CD sound for cheap look at the ERC-1 at www.emotiva.com this was on sale but may be regular price now that the holidays are over. You have a 30 day return window and you should be impressed by what you will hear. Use analog connections for listening to this.

Suspended
    I'm here baby! I'm the only one you need!

Now come over here, kiss me and I'll tell you what you need to do.

You don't have to buy the Oppo BD83. In the next week or so, Oppo Digital will be releasing the replacement player for the 980H ($170), but it will be a universal player with Blu Ray capabilities. If you can hold your water, I'd wait for that to drop before purchasing the Sony BDP.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    You don't have to buy the Oppo BD83. In the next week or so, Oppo Digital will be releasing the replacement player for the 980H ($170), but it will be a universal player with Blu Ray capabilities. If you can hold your water, I'd wait for that to drop before purchasing the Sony BDP.
    this is indeed good news...

I ordered the Sony today on-line. It was on sale and I didn't want to miss the sale price. But I have 30 days to return it. So I can shop around.

I'll look into the Oppo, but remember that I'm in Canada. That can often affect availability of new models and price. Thanks for the info.

Suspended
    Walked right on by as if I didn't even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    If you really want someone's attention, you need to whisper.

Your post was too loud.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

One would think you would be used to that by now...

I was trying to keep this thread on topic and informative. If you want to play, meet me in the Off-topic forum.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    One would think you would be used to that by now...
    I lol'd...and dispensed the appropriate Greenies...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I was trying to keep this thread on topic and informative. If you want to play, meet me in the Off-topic forum.
    Whoa..!..?...

(covering eyes & ears) la la la la la la la la la.......
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    And that's ME she wants to play with GM, not you.

I noticed. Looks like a changing of the gaurds . Have fun.

Cool

Here's where my ignorance really stands out.

We have a Toshiba upconverting DVD recorder. We use it for both watching DVDs and playing CDs. But more for playing CDs...we don't watch a lot of DVDs in general.

In the last few days, we've noticed that the sound coming from the player sounds distorted. But not all the time. Everything will sound fine then suddenly the sound will get kind of garbled then it'll smooth out again. It sounds like when you aren't quite on the radio station and you get that fine line of white noise underneath the music.

Anyhow, after a few CDs last night, the bad sound became more frequent so Hubby went to turn the player off and we switched to my iPod. He said that the DVD player was really hot.

Could the heat be affecting the sound?
    What would cause the DVD player to heat up this way?
    Can this be fixed or do we need to replace it?

I've never liked this player, from the day I bought it. So I'm happy to replace it if I have a reason to do so. We needed the DVD recorder for a one-time use when we changed cable providers and had to save what was on our PVR, but we don't have a use for the recorder option anymore.

If I have to replace this unit, should I switch to Blu-ray?

Can I play regular DVDs on Blu-ray?
    Can I play CDs on Blu-ray?
    Since we use the player more for audio than for video, would I be better off getting separate CD and DVD/BR players?

Thanks.

BLU players will play CD mostly, but if that is your primary function you need a dedicated
    CD players, video disc players are not optimum for CD playback.
    As for your current player, its a Toshiba, and that is probably its main problem.
    Wouldnt buy a clock radio from these guys.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

Too bad you don't play well with others.
    DOES HAPPY ACRES know your on the loose?
    Or did you bribe some shrink to certify you sane?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I agree with Mark. I too am considering Blu-Ray. Consider this though, where do all of the T.O.T.L. DVD players go when their owners upgrade? Blu-Ray aside, you can now buy a used Oppo DVD/CD/SACD player for a song on Ebay/Audiogon. I'm talkin not even a hundred bucks!

Sure, it won't play Blu-Ray, but it will play EVERYTHING else. It would play CD's much better than your Toshiba, that's for sure. Just an idea if you don't care about Blu-Ray and want to hold out. Otherwise, if you see yourself getting a BR in the near future, sounds like a good time to do it.
    These are coming from upgraders to BLU, and there is a reason for that.
    If you get something obsolete its no bargain, especially with decreased prices on
    OPPO universal players.
    Now is the time to go BLU BTW, they are really cheap, very good bargain for what you get.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    BLU players will play CD mostly, but if that is your primary function you need a dedicated
    CD players, video disc players are not optimum for CD playback.
    It's all so confusing! So do I consider something higher end like the Oppo unit, or am I still better off with designated BD and CD players?

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    As for your current player, its a Toshiba, and that is probably its main problem. Wouldnt buy a clock radio from these guys.
    I bought it because I needed a DVD recorder for a one-time use and it was cheap. Now I know why.

So, if I don't watch many DVDs...would I be better off just getting a new DVD player and putting off the BD player purchase?

Do you think that BD player prices will still come down or that the technology will get better?

If I don't really care whether I have blu-ray or DVD....am I jumping the gun by going blu-ray? Or will a new DVD player be obsolete in the short term and I'll be forced to upgrade in a year anyway because movies will only be released as blu-ray?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information