Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I haven't even had a chance to open the box! It probably won't get set up until Saturday. We have to sit around and wait for some Service Guys to show up on Saturday, so I'll probably set it up while we're waiting.

You'll be on-line in case I need help. Right?

Oh, I guess I need to go out and buy a Blu Ray disk because I don't own any. And the cables you suggested. Maybe I'll do that at lunchtime.
    The cables I suggested may cost much more at a local store.

Let me know when you're ready to open your box. I'm be here to help.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The cables I suggested may cost much more at a local store.
    Oh, I didn't realize that I could ship to Canada from that site. But I can. And shipping is pretty reasonable too!

I'll price the cables here and then if they are a lot more then I'll order them. Thanks!

Oh, I didn't realize that I could ship to Canada from that site. But I can. And shipping is pretty reasonable too!

I'll price the cables here and then if they are a lot more then I'll order them. Thanks!
    Oh? Canada? Oops... I keep forgetting that you are from a 3rd world country.

(I know I'm gonna burn for this one)

No letters please.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Yikes! I just looked on-line and Best Buy/Future Shop want $20 just for the optical cable. I can order both cables plus S&H for $20 from the links you sent me.

I'll place my order. Thanks for your help!!!

Yikes! I just looked on-line and Best Buy/Future Shop want $20 just for the optical cable. I can order both cables plus S&H for $20 from the links you sent me.

I'll place my order. Thanks for your help!!!
    You are welcome, but picking on you is no fun when you don't fight back.

You are welcome, but picking on you is no fun when you don't fight back.
    I know.

I know.
    I like my women with a little more spunk.

Have you checked the lengths you'll need? That company have a variety.

Have you checked the lengths you'll need? That company have a variety.
    3' should be enough. I'm assuming the RCA Video cable goes from BD player to TV and Optical cable goes from BD to Receiver. Yes?

3' should be enough. I'm assuming the RCA Video cable goes from BD player to TV and Optical cable goes from BD to Receiver. Yes?
    Yes.....

Although, you could use HDMI from the BR to the TV instead if your TV supports it. That way, you'll only need one instead of two HDMI cables when you upgrade your receiver. (You know that you will someday)

Black - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

White - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Yes.....

Although, you could use HDMI from the BR to the TV instead if your TV supports it. That way, you'll only need one instead of two HDMI cables when you upgrade your receiver. (You know that you will someday)
    I can use either to the TV. Which is better?

I'm just wondering whether I should change to a 6' cable from the reciever to the BD. The three foot won't allow me to pull out the reciever and leave the cable in if I need to take the receiver out of the stand for any reason, like adjust speaker wires or something. I just hate having all that extra cable cluttering up the back.

I can use either to the TV. Which is better?

I'm just wondering whether I should change to a 6' cable from the reciever to the BD. The three foot won't allow me to pull out the reciever and leave the cable in if I need to take the receiver out of the stand for any reason, like adjust speaker wires or something. I just hate having all that extra cable cluttering up the back.
    Hey! I posted a reply to this but it's missing.

Short version this time:
    I'd go with the HDMI.

Do you need help finding the sizes you want?

Hey! I posted a reply to this but it's missing.

Short version this time:
    I'd go with the HDMI.

Do you need help finding the sizes you want?
    You're really fixated on this size issue aren't you?

I'm going to have to call the place to change my order. I'll cancel the RCA cable since I already have an HDMI connecting my DVD player that I can use. And switch to the bigger Optical Cable.

You're really fixated on this size issue aren't you?

I'm going to have to call the place to change my order. I'll cancel the RCA cable since I already have an HDMI connecting my DVD player that I can use. And switch to the bigger Optical Cable.
    Just making sure that you are satisfied.

Sorry, I should have asked if you had an HDMI already.

Just making sure that you are satisfied.

Sorry, I should have asked if you had an HDMI already.
    No problem. I really appreciate all the help. I was able to cancel my order for the cables. If all I need is the optical then, I think I'll just buy it here. It'll cost a little more but I'll have it for the set-up on Saturday and if I don't like the size, I can trade it in. I just remembered that there's a Tiger Direct up the street from me. They're probably cheaper than BB.

Oh, and I bought Ice Age on Blu ray today so that I have something to watch.

It was that or Transformers. I know that Transformers is probably better for sound but I'll watch it once, go "WOW", and then never watch it again.

I never tire of watching Ice Age.

Cool. Remember, you can use a std RCA cable for a digital coax cable if your receiver has that (and it should). That way, you won't need any new cables to get started. You could order what you want and wait.

Oh, and I bought Ice Age on Blu ray today so that I have something to watch.

It was that or Transformers. I know that Transformers is probably better for sound but I'll watch it once, go "WOW", and then never watch it again.

I never tire of watching Ice Age.
    I too enjoy Ice Age. The first one? The second was OK but not as good IMO.

Transformers will scare you in true 5.1. Pirates of the Carabian is good as well. Great sound and video.

I too enjoy Ice Age. The first one? The second was OK but not as good IMO.

Transformers will scare you in true 5.1. Pirates of the Carabian is good as well. Great sound and video.
    Yes the first Ice Age. I agree that the second wasn't as good. I haven't seen the third one yet, but I've heard it's hilarious!

Of course I will be getting Lost S5 on blu ray.

Yes the first Ice Age. I agree that the second wasn't as good. I haven't seen the third one yet, but I've heard it's hilarious!

Of course I will be getting Lost S5 on blu ray.
    Did you say that you are going to get lost?

For digital...If you use an ordinary coax cable not specified for digital, use the shielded video kind...like those on a quality set of red, green and blue.

Suspended
    FA, FYI, and probably TMI, but you will need HDMI for the Blu-ray HD video and no players are allowed to upsample unless via HDMI. The single RCA would have only provided a standard video picture making the Blu-ray player a waste of money.

So do I need both a coaxial digital cable and an optical digital cable? The manual shows that I need both.

Also the optical cable GM recommended was $5. But I'm looking on www.tigerdirect.ca (note the dot ca and not com) and the optical cables are expensive. Am I missing something or are they really that much more expensive here???
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 01-07-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Suspended
    No mamm, HDMI to TV, then, either optical OR coaxial audio to receiver. No need for both they will do the same job. I personally like coaxial better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    No mamm, HDMI to TV, then, either optical OR coaxial audio to receiver. No need for both they will do the same job. I personally like coaxial better.
    I understand that coax is more durable. Optical has a certain cool factor though.

"My system is so advanced that I use fiber optics to transmit the sound from my BR player to my AVR receiver."

Not that that has ever come up in a conversation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information