Forum Regular

Mom wants to get Dad a flat panel for X-Mas...

So my dad loves the idea of having a flat panel TV hung on the wall in my parents' master bedroom. Mom wants help picking one out, or at least getting ideas. Money is not a big issue, but I think she didn't quite realize at first how expensive a flat panel TV can be! Realistically the budget is probably in the $3K-5K range for the TV. I'm hoping to find a HD-ready set (seems pointless to just get an EDTV or SDTV at this juncture). My parents are not big videophiles (their main TV is a pushing-15 years old Sharp 27"), but I'd like to find them a set with good picture (which should be a foregone conclusion at the prices we're talking about, you'd think). Main video source would be cable TV, which they could potentially upgrade to HD service through Charter (they already get digital service in the main living room.

Most of the TV viewing would be done from the bed...so basically dad's head would be roughly 10-12 feet from where the TV will be on the wall. I'm thinking a 42" set would be good. Or would smaller be OK?

Can someone help me get started? Ever since I left my job in an electronics store (Bose store, no bashing now) about 5 months ago, I really haven't kept up with what's out there. I just saw an ad in an American TV flyer for these new Olevia TVs...prices seem pretty good. Anyone know anything about these? I hate the idea of not buying from a known/reputable company.

Thanks in advance.

Lightbulb Flat panel TV

What kind LCD or PLASMA? There Panasonic TH42PA20 42" Samsung SSP4251 42" ,Sony PFM42 VISK 42". JVC PD-42V475 42" .I know that BESTBUY and FUTURE SHOP will add once in a while DVD player with these.You'll get good deal near XMAS they all try to get costomer in their store .Pat.P

Forum Regular
    I don't know if it matters if it's LCD or Plasma. I figure LCD is cheaper...you are right...starting to see more deals in the circulars as Christmas gets nearer. The free DVD player probably isn't a big deal, but wouldn't hurt I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    What kind LCD or PLASMA? There Panasonic TH42PA20 42" Samsung SSP4251 42" ,Sony PFM42 VISK 42". JVC PD-42V475 42" .I know that BESTBUY and FUTURE SHOP will add once in a while DVD player with these.You'll get good deal near XMAS they all try to get costomer in their store .Pat.P

Lightbulb flat panel tv

LCD have less problem than plasma ,last longer and use less power than the plasma .Free DVD is also great when they want to look at movies ! Pat.P

Lightbulb flat panel tv

Try this site for info on plasma and lcd www.flattvpeople.com and go under tutorials they give all info pro and con of both .Pat.P

Forum Regular
    Sharp all the way. Best picture, best resolution, best price you will find. They also have every size you could want. My uncle had me install the 26" in his bedroom and though I dont think your parents will be interested, but we hooked up his pc to it and oh my...flat screen heaven. Almost bought myself one...but then i remembered im a college student with no money. Enjoy.

Forum Regular

Samsung 32" LCD panel....

The leader in LCD technology has 32 inch fully HD (sans tuner which you may not need for cable) Best Buy and CC selling for about 2,800....per business week article, cost should come down 30-40% by this time next year as Samsung among others rapidly increasing mfg capacity....also hoping to make units a bit faster (to avoid some minor streaking on action scenes) and they are close to solving the "black" problem where blacks are dark gray now, which will give better contrast....Samsung is the largest mfg of these screens now.....a matter of judgement as to whether you should wait till next year when there will be yet other issues.....I would judge that the present sets are satisfactory for the majority of people, but that they may reach tube quality in 3-4 years.....I do agree with others that it appears LCD may replace plasma as the technology of choice due to lack of heat, lack of "burn in" and reliability....Sharp is also an excellent choice, but a bit more expensive at most price points...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader3k
    I don't know if it matters if it's LCD or Plasma. I figure LCD is cheaper...you are right...starting to see more deals in the circulars as Christmas gets nearer. The free DVD player probably isn't a big deal, but wouldn't hurt I guess.
    in the size range u r considering the LCD would cost more than a plasma ( from legitimate sources). If they can live without wall mounting the display device why not check out some of the rear projected lcd hdtvs'. At $2500. you can get a 42" Hitachi with a cablecard slot, ATSC tuner, HDMI jack, multi-pip, and tons PQ adjustments that makes this set the best in its class ( model # 42V710 ). If your parents have got to wall mount, you might find the 37" Sharp LC37GD6U HD LCD TV within your budget from a authorized source. I'd personally would skip plasma and any brand that I've never heard of .

Thread Information