Forum Regular

DVD Shrink question

So far this works great except it seems to take 1 1/2 hours to burn a commercial DVD. Is this too slow and if so how do I get it to burn faster. DVD Shrink claims its brning at 6X but that doesn't make sense inthe it takes to long. My burner is set at maximum speed and I seem to have the latest edition of DVD Shrink.

We've been burning DVD's for about 6 months now. When we first started it took about an hour, than we upgraded the computer, making it faster and puting in a larger hardrive. I think we're running at 2.8 ghz or so and now it burns a movie in about 20 minutes. But this process does cost a lot of money, and you have to know a lot abotu computers, too. I guess you could try another software, our DVD Xcopy works great, it came with a package of blank DVD-R's and DVD cases, but I hear it's been discontinued now. That's all I can tell ya.

-Joey

You should check to make sure that you have the lastest firmware for the DVD burner you have installed. I burn a DVD in about 20 minutes although the copying process is significantly longer. Also, I don't add any further compression to the equation which probably speeds thing up slightly as well. So in the end I don't know if I really burn faster than you or not, depends what actions you are referring to. Rips do take longer than the burn.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular

Jim the DVD Shrink Process

I supposidly have the latest model of DVD shrink and Nero software. This is the Process I go through. First with the commercial DVD in my DVD ROM, I click on open disc on DVD SHrink. It then automatically analyses the commercial DVD- takes about 5 minutes not bad. I then press bckup and first it encodes (decrypts the Macro blocker) which takes 15 minutes or more and after it encodes it asks me to burn the DVD at 6X. This is where it takes a long time. It takes about 1 hour 45 minutes to burn a 2 hour DVD. I have my burner set on Maximum. I don't know why it takes this lonh. Occasionally I get a weird message about space on my D drive whatever that is (the burner is external and is on the G drive). The good thing is unlike burning a CD, I'm able to minimize the burner when its burning the DVD and go on the internet and it doesn't freeze anything up. Any advice would be welcome. I should say if push comes to shove I'm still happy with this as I can make great DVDs of commercial stuff for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    You should check to make sure that you have the lastest firmware for the DVD burner you have installed. I burn a DVD in about 20 minutes although the copying process is significantly longer. Also, I don't add any further compression to the equation which probably speeds thing up slightly as well. So in the end I don't know if I really burn faster than you or not, depends what actions you are referring to. Rips do take longer than the burn.

jc

Having an external DVD drive is the culprit. There's no way a USB connection can come close to an IDE drive.

Shrink should take no more than 1 minute to analyze the DVD, not 5 minutes for sure so you might want to get a faster DVD-Rom or a faster computer. What speed is it? Might be time for that big AMD!

Forum Regular
    The weird thing is the burner does 12X. I got an external burner because I didn't want to pay another $50- 100 having some install a burner in my computer- I don't want to touch the inside of my computer based on previous screw ups. I didn't realize it would operate that much slower by being attached to USB. My computer is a 900 mhz Compaq 5900 Z Presario. What is drive D? Can that be affecting the speed? I am happy with the results though.

Thread Information