Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

Do you watch only Blu Rays just because?

Do you watch only Blu Rays just because you own a Blu Ray player?

Just curious as to who watches ONLY Blu disks. I have only watched 2 Blus on my OPPO since I got the unit. Since a lot of movies don't have great action, sound and visual effects, what is the big deal just watching a plain old DVD?

When a movie comes around that would benefit from watching in Blu, I will but for the most part, DVD and downloaded avi files have been all I have watched since getting the oppo. I love the DNLA functionality and the use of my 2TB network drive.

I'm not too concerned with the additional $.50 from RedBox but for what? Just to say I saw a movie in Blu? Anyway, all those extra $50 will add up nicely in my retirement account.

Do you own a HDTV, and if so, do you watch other HD sources on it? That would provide the answer in most cases.

For me, whenever I purchase or rent a movie, I'm getting it in Blu-ray if I have a choice. With my Directv service, I upgraded to the HD receiver and HD service when I got the HDTV. Basically, anytime I have a choice with the program or channel I'm watching, I will opt for the HD version.

I will still watch SD programs or DVDs if that's what I have available. But, I much prefer HD. With movies, it's that much closer to the resolution on the big screen and the original intent of the cinematographer. With TV programs and sports, you see more of the action and the detail. Going back to SD, it's like purposely making things fuzzy/hazy on purpose. You're not going to purposely throw a blanket over your speakers when listening to music, so why do the same thing with video programming, if you have a choice?

Doesn't matter if it's a big blockbuster or indie flick -- ALL movies look better in HD and it makes for a more enjoyable viewing experience. It won't make a crappy movie into five-star cinema, but then again, a high end audio setup won't fix lousy music either.

With the question you're posing about Blu-ray, it needs to be extended into HD viewing in general. Is the added resolution important enough for you to upgrade your cable/satellite service?

Given that you bring up downloading and DLNA media servers, the question can be reversed -- do you watch only downloaded/streaming content just because? Does convenience mean more than quality? And of course, that same question can be asked on the audio side.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    More extras (on movies), better audio...

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Only Blu-rays, only HD programming. If it's not 720p, 1080i or 1080p, it doesn't get watched at my house. the only exception I've made in recent memory was for "the Walking Dead".
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Doesn't matter if it's a big blockbuster or indie flick -- ALL movies look better in HD and it makes for a more enjoyable viewing experience.
    That would be true if studios step up to plate and give us a new HD remaster of film on bluray disc. But looking at some of bluray movie reviews (like Chevy Chase's Vacation), that don't seem to be the case.

They say picture quality of bluray edition looks excatly like the DVD edition....

National Lampoon Vacation

I choose the material first, format second. I'll happily watch DVD on my HDTV. I'm not going to let better technology stop me from watching something that isn't readily available in HD.

Suspended
    Do you own a HDTV, and if so, do you watch other HD sources on it? That would provide the answer in most cases.

For me, whenever I purchase or rent a movie, I'm getting it in Blu-ray if I have a choice. With my Directv service, I upgraded to the HD receiver and HD service when I got the HDTV. Basically, anytime I have a choice with the program or channel I'm watching, I will opt for the HD version.

I will still watch SD programs or DVDs if that's what I have available. But, I much prefer HD. With movies, it's that much closer to the resolution on the big screen and the original intent of the cinematographer. With TV programs and sports, you see more of the action and the detail. Going back to SD, it's like purposely making things fuzzy/hazy on purpose. You're not going to purposely throw a blanket over your speakers when listening to music, so why do the same thing with video programming, if you have a choice?

Doesn't matter if it's a big blockbuster or indie flick -- ALL movies look better in HD and it makes for a more enjoyable viewing experience. It won't make a crappy movie into five-star cinema, but then again, a high end audio setup won't fix lousy music either.

With the question you're posing about Blu-ray, it needs to be extended into HD viewing in general. Is the added resolution important enough for you to upgrade your cable/satellite service?

Given that you bring up downloading and DLNA media servers, the question can be reversed -- do you watch only downloaded/streaming content just because? Does convenience mean more than quality? And of course, that same question can be asked on the audio side.
    Good questions back. I happen to be in a major minority when it comes to all this.

The only HD TV material I watch is whatever is HD over the air - antenna style. But yes, everything looks better in HD. Lots of the movies I have streamed via DNLA have been older movies or ones that I cannot see the benefit of renting as Blu. A chick flick in HD is still just a chick flick, right.

I was using a PC that is connected to my system to watch AVIs over the network but since I got the OPPO, I no longer need to fire up the PC unless I end up with a rare format the 93 does not like. It is very convenient.

I have two HD TVs and 2 non. The one in my bedroom is a 25 y/o Sony now being driven by one of those cheapo digital converter boxes. The PQ is just fine.

Now you posed the question back for music. I have 4 different systems ranging from great to just ok. I can drive speakers in my family room from system 2 or use system 4 that is also in that room. I do both and have no problems. However I do use system 1 most of the time and just blast it throughout the house.

Woo has very good points, for I too only watch HD channels via the cable box, but when it comes to blu rays I get a lot more pickier. First off the Cost ceiling for me is $20 for 98% of all the Blu Ray Disk I own, 2nd is the type of movie, I only buy BR that push the envelope of the format (Graphics and Audio). When you look at any Reference list of titles you will see Action, SciFi, Animation. So to spend extra money just for the sake of it being BR is not cost effective in my book. Now I say that due that I buy all of the movies in my home, so thats titles for the kids, wife and my own taste. I am the only one that cares about visual or audio difference,, so I'm not going to spend the money on those that could care less.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    Woo has very good points, for I too only watch HD channels via the cable box, but when it comes to blu rays I get a lot more pickier. First off the Cost ceiling for me is $20 for 98% of all the Blu Ray Disk I own, 2nd is the type of movie, I only buy BR that push the envelope of the format (Graphics and Audio). When you look at any Reference list of titles you will see Action, SciFi, Animation. So to spend extra money just for the sake of it being BR is not cost effective in my book. Now I say that due that I buy all of the movies in my home, so thats titles for the kids, wife and my own taste. I am the only one that cares about visual or audio difference,, so I'm not going to spend the money on those that could care less.
    I'm mostly in the same boat, however, some of Disney's movie look the absolute best in blu so we love to add those and do a family night.

I also watch HD DVD movies. I have the player and movies are cheap on the bay. Great machine to upconvert as well.

Also, you may want to create a Wish List on Amazon. I load my most wanted movies on blu and check it often as the prices moves up or down. Great to recall which movies you want, their release dates and their prices, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    That would be true if studios step up to plate and give us a new HD remaster of film on bluray disc. But looking at some of bluray movie reviews (like Chevy Chase's Vacation), that don't seem to be the case.

They say picture quality of bluray edition looks excatly like the DVD edition....

Problem with your comparison is that you're comparing an actual viewing of the DVD with a review of the Blu-ray. Is this reviewer trustworthy, or do they resort to hyperbole to make a point? There are some tech press hacks who claim that upsampled DVD is indistinguishable from Blu-ray. Of course, these are almost always the same people pushing online streaming and downloading, and actively campaigning against optical disc media. I disregard them because their comments about Blu-ray are always disingenuous at best, given their extreme bias towards online video.

There have been many online sh*tstorms stirred up because of poorly done Blu-ray transfers. But, just because a Blu-ray transfer was poorly done from inferior master sources does not negate the picture quality upgrade that comes from higher resolution. Keep in mind that most DVDs were originally downsampled from HD masters.

The issue with poorly done Blu-ray transfers is that they use older HD masters, and the scanning technology has greatly improved over the last decade. And in HD, flaws in the master source are much easier to see on Blu-ray than on a heavily DNR'd and edge enhanced DVD.

The bottomline question that you're not really answering is whether that poorly done Blu-ray transfer still looks better than the DVD copy. Among all the most widely discussed bad Blu-ray transfers I'm familiar with (e.g., the MPEG-2 versions of The Fifth Element and Dracula, the first release of Gladiator, et al), the answer to that question remains an overwhelming yes.

Honestly, I don't know of a single case where anyone has honestly said that the DVD version looks better than the Blu-ray.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 04-19-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    Only Blu-rays, only HD programming. If it's not 720p, 1080i or 1080p, it doesn't get watched at my house. the only exception I've made in recent memory was for "the Walking Dead".
    YEAH, my Amc isn't HD either, but the entire series was in HD on ONDEMAND,
    thank the lord.
    I watch quite a few DVDS at work during downtime, and I spent extra for a portable
    (PANASONIC) that would play DIVIX, etc, up to 720p. Its nice.
    But nothing beats BLU. You won't watch a disc in BLU unless it resembles a video game,well, thats your loss.
    ONE of the best BLU discs I have seen is NICK and Nora, a love song to NEW YORK,
    basically, and it is beautiful. I don't need robots from the future( although I did a four
    movie Terminator marathon recently). Ben Button was rather amazing, also.
    Blu is the HT promise fulfilled, and the only reason your DVD is as tolerable as they are
    is they are deinterlaced and the pic is as good as possible.
    BUT THATS RECENT. The best thing about Blu is not what it contains, but what it leaves out.
    MOIRE PATTERNS, jagged diagonal lines, ghosting.
    I had a concert of SHERYL CROW, and the one thing even more annoying than her
    suburban haircut was her boom mike, which "jagged" in the middle. If that works
    for you , fine. I have a bunch of BLU discs, several are replacements for DVD,
    because I love movies and will only watch them in as pristine a condition as
    possible, because time spent watching a movie is time you don't get back, basically.
    Wizard of OZ came on recently, and I WAS AMAZED, TO SAY THE LEAST.
    My god, what they have done to this movie, which will be my next BLU disc, BTW.
    IF YOU CAN SETTLE for "DVD" then why did you waste money on the OPPO,
    is all I want to know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

The PQ on blu ray is so stunning that it is my preferred choice when it comes to watching a movie. If the movie is released in BR format, I'll wait to see it, even if there are tons of standard DVDs available.

The exception to this rule would be if it's a classic movie that I've seen hundreds of times already. At times like that, even a streaming video with average PQ will do.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    The bruhaha behind Dracula was built strongly on ignorance, bad comparison, and in some cases self interests. Some folks were comparing a non approved transfer with a director approved one - saying the non approved one was correct, and the approved one wasn't.

As an owner of more than 1500 Bluray's, I have far more that look super good than I have that look super bad. As a matter of fact the bad or mediocre ones I have you can count on two hands out of 1500. Sound wise, there is no competition here, Bluray is far superior in that respect. Streaming has its place, and I still watch an occasional DVD. But Bluray is the choice format in my family, and I am going to eventually replace my DVD's with Bluray's as quickly as I can.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Good questions back. I happen to be in a major minority when it comes to all this.

The only HD TV material I watch is whatever is HD over the air - antenna style. But yes, everything looks better in HD. Lots of the movies I have streamed via DNLA have been older movies or ones that I cannot see the benefit of renting as Blu. A chick flick in HD is still just a chick flick, right.
    If you're talking about Redbox, the difference between DVD and Blu-ray is all of FIFTY CENTS. To me, that's just a no brainer to go with the HD option. The benefit to renting Blu-ray is simple -- higher resolution, more detail, and more involving experience overall.

And with older movies, IMO that's where you see the biggest benefit to going with Blu-ray. With well-done Blu-ray transfers, you get to see a lot of the microdetail and film grain that formerly, you could only see on the big screen. Blu-ray preserves the cinematography and the original look of the film print.

DVD and other low res sources (including HD broadcasts on cable/satellite and OTA) don't have the bandwidth to display that much detail without macroblocking or other compression artifacts popping up. So, what those sources have to do is blur out the fine detail using noise reduction, and then resharpen the picture using edge enhancement.

If anything, the Blu-ray just looks more natural and true to life. And that applies, no matter what kind of movie you're watching.

I was using a PC that is connected to my system to watch AVIs over the network but since I got the OPPO, I no longer need to fire up the PC unless I end up with a rare format the 93 does not like. It is very convenient.
    And there's the crux of it -- you're opting for convenience over quality, which is exactly what won out on the audio side. With video, consumers going to bigger screens has also driven the demand for higher resolution. At larger sizes, the benefits of HD are more apparent, so that's what has held the line in general for higher res. When you're already at home, the convenience factor is less prominent in general. Yes, there are consumers like you who will opt for the whole house networking, but indeed that's not the norm just yet.

With audio, the market is driven by portable and mobile devices. Consumers are perfectly fine with MP3 resolution, since they can take their music on the go. And while you're on the go, you're not in an environment that benefits as much from high end audio components or formats. That allows convenience to win out.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Is this reviewer trustworthy, or do they resort to hyperbole to make a point? There are some tech press hacks who claim that upsampled DVD is indistinguishable from Blu-ray.
    If you look at major film review sites, the bluray version of this movie does not get high remarks. For example look at this review from DVD Verdict. He ask:

"Is it worth a double-dip if you already have the DVD? Based on video quality alone, I'm not seeing a drastic enough increase in fidelity to warrant a re-purchase."

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/vacationbluray.php

The bottomline question that you're not really answering is whether that poorly done Blu-ray transfer still looks better than the DVD copy.
    I think the better question would be is whether poorly done bluray is worth %50 more in price than DVD copy?

While this is somewhat embarrassing...

....I haven't watched a Blu-Ray movie since receiving my PS3 from my wife as a Christmas present. We have Netflicks but only via streaming, and you can't get Blu-Ray that way yet (can you?). Once my HT room is finished (give me 4 to 6 weeks), I'll certainly want to get me some Blu-Ray. I'll probably change my Netflicks from streaming to delivery + streaming and pay the extra money.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    BTW.
    IF YOU CAN SETTLE for "DVD" then why did you waste money on the OPPO,
    is all I want to know.
    First of all, I didn't waste my money. I saved for close to a year to buy the BEST player I could that would do everything the OPPO does and also play music CDs fairly well. The unit is for video in one system and audio in a second.

Redbox does not have a whole lot on Blu that interest me but as I said, I will rent them when the right ones are available.

I was a latecomer to HT in the first place and bought an el-cheapo HK not even knowing much about HDMI and the HKs lack of it. The DVD player I had didn't have it either.

With the OPPO, I have everything one could want in a player so as I continue to upgrade when money permits, I will have a decent HT setup.

You wouldn't believe how many people have purchased the 93 just to stream Netfix. Apparently more than will use it for DVD and Blu if you look at the AVS official 93 thread.

I also hope that I never have to buy a $68 player for myself. I don't think the OPPO will die prematurely.

Suspended
    If you're talking about Redbox, the difference between DVD and Blu-ray is all of FIFTY CENTS. To me, that's just a no brainer to go with the HD option.
    Maybe your income level or current status of independently wealthy is different than mine or my retirement goals. I chince out on many things in order to be prepared for what will no doubt be an ugly time when my wife and I get old and need help and care.

Every FIFTY CENTS I save adds up to DOLLARS in the bank. But, it's not just about the money. Like I said, a chick flick in HD is still a chick flick. I don't give a rats ass about the grain of the film if there is no real action or sound effects to display. I'm not an HD snob.

And there's the crux of it -- you're opting for convenience over quality, which is exactly what won out on the audio side. With video, consumers going to bigger screens has also driven the demand for higher resolution. At larger sizes, the benefits of HD are more apparent, so that's what has held the line in general for higher res. When you're already at home, the convenience factor is less prominent in general. Yes, there are consumers like you who will opt for the whole house networking, but indeed that's not the norm just yet.
    When I bought this unit, I had every intention of watching Blu's. As I have repeated, there are not many in RedBox that I care to bother whether it's just a little bit better just to say I did.

I do like convenience. I also happen to have a huge hard drive full of movies a friend of mine ripped from his collection. I guess you would just trash the drive and run out and re-purchase them all.

I only have my whole house wired because I picked up trashed PCs and rebuilt them. I work in the field so keeping networking skills honed is something I need to keep up on. I have helped friends wire their whole houses when remodeling or building.

No it's not the norm because most people can't think past Ipod-Earbud.

With audio, the market is driven by portable and mobile devices. Consumers are perfectly fine with MP3 resolution, since they can take their music on the go. And while you're on the go, you're not in an environment that benefits as much from high end audio components or formats. That allows convenience to win out.
    Well here is where I am still old school. I don't have a portable player of any kind. I will not put dirty little ear buds in my ears to listen to inferior sounding audio. I do have and NOW listen to some of the music I have on hard drives but ONLY because of the ease of the streaming features of the OPPO. I listen to Pandora or LastFM at work very low on crappy little PC speakers.

But, I listen to 95% of my music from a CD on a real audio system.
    Can you say that?

I am an Audio Snob!
    Last edited by Hyfi; 04-20-2011 at 03:46 AM.

OK Boys lets keep it above the belt, no need to attack anyone for their choices.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Can you say that? I am an Audio Snob!
    ***Blows whistle and tosses yellow flag.***

Ahhhh, this one takes me back! I can remember a time when someone once said something similar to me, because I didn't use tube amplification or a turntable. For the most part anything digital was anathema to him. I think we have to chalk this one up to "diff'rent strokes, for diff'rent folks" this time. There will always be the human element when it comes to matters of preference. Do we really have to draw lines in the sand about everything?

Don't get me wrong, I think blu ray IS the next level from a visual and audio standpoint, but I'm willing to make concessions for subjective preference. My mother still prefers her VHS VCR to everything else. Not even an S-VHS. I've given her DVD players and let her borrow my old Samsung Blu Ray player. She wants no part of any of the newer technologies. It's pointless to try and convince her. Besides, who am I to argue with Mum? She likes what she likes.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Cool

Maybe your income level or current status of independently wealthy is different than mine or my retirement goals. I chince out on many things in order to be prepared for what will no doubt be an ugly time when my wife and I get old and need help and care.

Every FIFTY CENTS I save adds up to DOLLARS in the bank. But, it's not just about the money. Like I said, a chick flick in HD is still a chick flick. I don't give a rats ass about the grain of the film if there is no real action or sound effects to display. I'm not an HD snob.
    No, you are an anti HD snob.
    Is CASABLANCA a "chick" flick"? CHASING AMY? And so on. And if a difference in fifty cents is a deal breaker for you, you don't have a retirement problem, you have a survival problem. THAT extra fifty cents is the biggest bargain in HT right now.

When I bought this unit, I had every intention of watching Blu's. As I have repeated, there are not many in RedBox that I care to bother whether it's just a little bit better just to say I did.
    MAYBE, but purchased BLU discs can now be had for six bucks, close to what A BLOCKBUSTER RENTAL used to be. Watching DVD makes less and less sense.

I do like convenience. I also happen to have a huge hard drive full of movies a friend of mine ripped from his collection. I guess you would just trash the drive and run out and re-purchase them all.
    NOT WITH STORAGE so cheap these days. I like to rip stuff to disc and take to work.
    But would having a DVD or other SD copy keep me from replacing the title with BLU?
    ACTUALLY I am in the process of replacing a bunch of old classics and giving away the
    DVD copies to friends. If you are a penny pincher this is actually a good time to do so,
    what with video stores shutting their doors. I have picked up several hardly used discs for as little as four bucks.

I only have my whole house wired because I picked up trashed PCs and rebuilt them. I work in the field so keeping networking skills honed is something I need to keep up on. I have helped friends wire their whole houses when remodeling or building.
    And THAT has to do with the price of eggs how?

Well here is where I am still old school. I don't have a portable player of any kind. I will not put dirty little ear buds in my ears to listen to inferior sounding audio. I do have and NOW listen to some of the music I have on hard drives but ONLY because of the ease of the streaming features of the OPPO. I listen to Pandora or LastFM at work very low on crappy little PC speakers.
    Time to join the 21st century. With a file player you can plug it into your car unit, the aux on a decent sounding portable. AND those bootleg movies you were talking bout?
    WATCH them on a file player.

Can you say that?
    MORE LIKE 70%, and the rest of the time , records and lossless on my computer.
    You could never tell the difference. My chief playback device cost eight hundred bucks, can you say that?(see below).

I am an Audio Snob!
    GOOD for you. I am an audio lover, which is why I paid the ridiculous price of four
    c-notes for a clock radio type device that actually sounds decent for occasional listening,
    and have three players in my system that are dedicated to disc audio playback.
    Which brings up something else, mainly hi-res audio, like Sheryl Crows Sound STAGE,
    Diana Kralls Rio, etc. DO YOU LOVE music enough to spring for some audio
    discs in BLU format? JUST CURIOUS.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey

TALK about "stepping up to the plate", you might want to try it, SMOKE,
    and pull the trigger on a HD set. Then you could talk from experience instead
    of what people "say".
    YES, there are BLU discs out there that are BLU in name only. AND believe it
    or not, still a few 720p discs from the start of the format.
    And some "up converted" 720p editions which, of course, produces no additional res.
    But even a poorly done disc is a 100% better than the best DVD. And I have always
    heard that you don't get a res increase with upconversion, however DVD does tend
    to look a ton better on a BLU player. At least that has been my experience, especially with "superbit" DVD editions, which look really good on a BLU player.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    No, you are an anti HD snob.
    Is CASABLANCA a "chick" flick"? CHASING AMY? And so on. And if a difference in fifty cents is a deal breaker for you, you don't have a retirement problem, you have a survival problem. THAT extra fifty cents is the biggest bargain in HT right now.
    Casablanca is a 1942 Black and White no action no sound movie.

What is my survival problem? So you are advising me to spend extra money to watch an old B&W movie instead of adding money to a retirement account? Where is your logic in that? I may not have the same type of Law Enforcement Retirement plan as you, in fact the only one I have is the one I add to.

MAYBE, but purchased BLU discs can now be had for six bucks, close to what A BLOCKBUSTER RENTAL used to be. Watching DVD makes less and less sense.
    So now you are advising me how to spend my money, and earlier you criticized me for how I already spent my money. I don't need to buy every movie I watch. I can't watch the same movie hundreds of times like I can listen to Music.

Your critisizing me is pretty funny since only 6 months ago you were crying about how broke you were and justifying why you purchased, and in your words, "cheap and questionably built" Emotiva Amp.

Now you are going to tell me how to spend my money?

NOT WITH STORAGE so cheap these days. I like to rip stuff to disc and take to work.
    But would having a DVD or other SD copy keep me from replacing the title with BLU?
    ACTUALLY I am in the process of replacing a bunch of old classics and giving away the
    DVD copies to friends. If you are a penny pincher this is actually a good time to do so,
    what with video stores shutting their doors. I have picked up several hardly used discs for as little as four bucks.
    Again, you cry broke one week then tell us how you are repurchasing your whole library. Again, I do not have the desire to own every movie I watch. Just how many times are you going to watch all of the ones you buy? 5x in 15 years? May as well rent for $1 each time and it's still cheaper.
    And THAT has to do with the price of eggs how?
    It was in reference to a comment that woochifer made about convenience. Try actually reading the posts.

Time to join the 21st century. With a file player you can plug it into your car unit, the aux on a decent sounding portable. AND those bootleg movies you were talking bout?
    WATCH them on a file player.
    And what is wrong with watching the movies on my TV? Why would I want to watch a great movie on a 2" to 6" screen? Does 21st Century mean buying every little gadget the next guy has? Or just doing everything you do?

My chief playback device cost eight hundred bucks, can you say that?(see below).
    Yes I can because if I would have paid List Price and Tax on my Rotel, it would have been close but when you add the $300/pair Synergistic cables in, well....

And it appears you wasted your money since you can't tell the difference between a record, a cd, and something playing in your car off of a ipod.

DO YOU LOVE music enough to spring for some audio
    discs in BLU format? JUST CURIOUS.
    I doubt it because the OPPO is not my main playback unit. I get pretty decent sound out of well recorded CDs already.

GOOD for you. I am an audio lover, which is why I paid the ridiculous price of four
    c-notes for a clock radio type device that actually sounds decent for occasional listening,
    What did you get? A Bose Wave?

WOW that was a shot below the belt
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Cool

Casablanca is a 1942 Black and White no action no sound movie.
    and is considered to be one of the best movies ever, if not the best.
    You need to listen to what a movie says, not just sit there and count the explosions

What is my survival problem? So you are advising me to spend extra money to watch an old B&W movie instead of adding money to a retirement account? Where is your logic in that? I may not have the same type of Law Enforcement Retirement plan as you, in fact the only one I have is the one I add to.
    I DON'T have a "law enforcement plan" either, but in the great scheme of things
    fifty cents is no biggie to enjoy a movie I might not be here to enjoy next week

So now you are advising me how to spend my money, and earlier you criticized me for how I already spent my money. I don't need to buy every movie I watch. I can't watch the same movie hundreds of times like I can listen to Music.
    Maybe not, but concerts and video collections are timeless. And spend your money
    any way you want. At the end of the day people always regret what they did not do,
    not what they did.

Your critisizing me is pretty funny since only 6 months ago you were crying about how broke you were and justifying why you purchased, and in your words, "cheap and questionably built" Emotiva Amp.
    WHICH turned out to be one of the best things I HAVE EVER BOUGHT.
    Live and learn.

Now you are going to tell me how to spend my money?
    At the end of the day it won't matter. I have been wiped out three times in the last 17 years.
    "SAVING" money has only deprived me of experiences never to come again, while the
    govt or some banker is enjoying my money.

Again, you cry broke one week then tell us how you are repurchasing your whole library. Again, I do not have the desire to own every movie I watch. Just how many times are you going to watch all of the ones you buy? 5x in 15 years? May as well rent for $1 each time and it's still cheaper.
    THATS the point, broke as I AM I can still spring for a disc every once in awhile.
    AS anybody can tell you, the really decent ones have to be purchased, they can't be found
    to be rented
    It was in reference to a comment that woochifer made about convenience. Try actually reading the posts.
    THAT MIGHT WORK

And what is wrong with watching the movies on my TV? Why would I want to watch a great movie on a 2" to 6" screen? Does 21st Century mean buying every little gadget the next guy has? Or just doing everything you do?
    to each his own, but I have crossed a lot of time wasters off my wish list by first
    watching them during spare time

And it appears you wasted your money since you can't tell the difference between a record, a cd, and something playing in your car off of a ipod.
    THATS not what I said. I said that you could not tell the diff between a lossless
    audio file and a CD, which you can't. Try reading the posts.

I doubt it because the OPPO is not my main playback unit. I get pretty decent sound out of well recorded CDs already.
    GOOD FOR YOU

Don't be insulting, please. Its a Yamaha tsx-130(see below).
    I lug it to work to listen to, everybody loves it. I shouldn't have bought it, but fell in love with the sound. My eight gig USB drive has about 130 CD's, and whatever CD's I drag along.
    IS IT "audiophile" quality? Heck no! But it is quality. MODERN tech allows
    music lovers to listen to their tunes wherever they are, with or without "cheap" earbuds
    (I take my Sennheiser cans on holidays). TRUE love finds a way.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information