Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Do DVD Players & Receiver From Same Company Sound the Best Together

I'm curious about anyones thoughts on this. Specifically, are DVD and/or Universal players put out by a company designed to sound best on that companys products not someone elses. For example is the Denon 1910 DVD player going to sound best when played with a Denon receiver or something like the Harmon Kardon AVR 635 receiver going to sound its best when played with say a Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player? I'm almost tempted to "'rent" both the Denon 1910 player to try with my receiver & the 635 to try with my DVD player to see if they'll sound noticeably better & if I'm totally knocked out,, buy them cheaper online after I returned them to the stores I "rented" them from.

Forum Regular
    ed

quick answer,no.The only time i can think that this could come into play is when the reciever has firewire connection that only works with its dvd.I believe and correct me if i'm wrong but denon does this.Other wise cant see it being an issue.
    Buy the way you will find,as you progress in this hobby,you will find that"renting" gear ,then buying it on the net later,is not the best way to go.Find your self a dealer with a good reputation(and i don't mean best buy or the like)and get to know them.You will be suprised at the benefit of paying a few dollars more at purchase.In the past two years I have replaced every component in my system,from television to speakers to wires.All from the same dealer.I get in house service,delivery and calibration of the tv,loaners if service is in shop,in house trial of gear and wires and lots of good advice.I have sent them at least a dozen people since and some made large purchases.If people are buying with no intention of purchase then they wont be able to offer this level of service to loyal customers.
    thanks
    bill

Definitely NOT. In fact, I would rather buy pieces from seperate companies rather than stick with one company that makes mediocre stuff across the board just to be brand loyal.

And the thing you must realize is that very few companies actually make their own stuff. In fact many Denon players (no, not all) are just Toshiba's with Denon stickers on them. So even though you have a Denon amp and Denon player, you technically don't.

I'm not sure who makes HK DVD players for them.

What part of your sound are you not happy with? Are you still using those Orb speakers? Perhaps you're looking at the wrong thing to upgrade?

Forum Regular
    I'm not unhappy with anything but unlike some people, I'm always open to improving myself if I have the money to do so. In my case, if I play certain old cds they sound incredible on my set up while other sound like crap. I basically have a policy of not tryin g to reeq a bad recording

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Speakers are the best to upgrade as they will make the most difference. You have good stuff but the Orbs are on the small side. Cd's will just sound different no matter what. You cant make a bad recorded cd sound good. I've got some early ones that are not so hot. I only buy remastered/DTS/SACD older music.
    Look & Listen

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    if I play certain old cds they sound incredible on my set up while other sound like crap.
    Congratulations! This is a good thing. It means you have a revealing system. Bad recordings are not something to be fixed by improving your system. Rather, bad recordings are simply to be avoided.

Forum Regular
    have you ever tried speakers other than your orbs? just wondering.

Forum Regular

I Love My Orbs

I don't know why it seems a bunch of people here seem to be biased againnst Orb speakers especially if they've never heard them. Don't mind criticism of them or any other product if someone has experienced them first hand but to dismiss something without experiencing it, I think is a bit absurd. For me the Orbs are a must both logistically & quality & cosmetic wise given that I have somewhat limited spacing in an apartment. I personally hate clutter & 5 bookshelf or bigger speakers for me, doesn't appeal to me visually. Orbs give a great pokey sound without overbearing my apartment with noise to call the police. I'm sure there are better bookshelf or bigger speakers on the market but while I'm living in a 1200 foot apartment, the Orbs are best for my situation.

No one is biased against Orb, Hershon, but you admittedly have experienced better sound when Paul allowed you to audition his B&W's. In your never ending quest for better sound, you have tried different cables, different cdp's, some sonic snot you slathered on the discs, and who knows what else? However, you always fail to address the single most limiting factor in any system; the speakers. Again, I'm not trashing your Orbs, just stating the obvious fact that better speakers will allow much more significant gains for your dollars.

It's deja vu all over again!

Seems like we just went through this with sonmeone else, no? Oh yeah, Hershon.

I guess once a troll, always a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    In fact many Denon players (no, not all) are just Toshiba's with Denon stickers on them. So even though you have a Denon amp and Denon player, you technically don't.
    I didn't know this. Do you have a link with the information? I know Marantz, Denon, and McIntosh are owned by the same holding company, but as far as I've read, they still operate independently. Toshiba has never been in the mix.

I've never seen a link, but I've seen it plenty of times on the repair bench! The few Denons I've cracked open were just Toshibas inside. They even have the same menu, screen saver, and turn on screens.

Now I'm not saying ALL Denons are Toshibas, and newer Denons might not be at all, but the ones I've seen were indeed Toshibas with Denon names on the outside. But on the other hand, I doubt a company like Denon would build DVD players from the ground up.

Well Google brought this up real quick, if usenet conversations are worth anything

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...ba7744e291e1c7

Looks like some Denon players were Panasonic as well.

Is that offical or just joes like us talking?
    Carful who you listen to.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular

No I did & didn't experience better sound on Paul's B&W

When I listened to Paul's B&W speakers some CD's like the Foo Fighters sounded better to me then my Orbs when listening on his system but other CD's sounded better to me when the Orbs were used, so that was a mixed bag (I don't remember if Paul shared that view as well). I've experienced improvements in sound when I upgraded my cables, added a Monster Power Center, upgraded my DVD player & upgraded my receiver to its present set up & also when I lowered the height of all my speakers to closer to ear level (they're all now uniformally at the same height as well). If I ever move to say a house or condo with a larger amount of space & no neighbors to deal with, of course I'll consider bookshelf or bigger speakers. At present though, the Orb speakers are the best speakers applicable to my situation & they're basically "Fixed" while everything is variable.

LMB
    Forum Regular

Small Speakers

IF YOU NEED SMALL SPEAKERS TRY BOSTON ACOUSTICS 130's
    YOUR RECEIVER WILL CALIBRATE THEM TO LARGE BECAUSE OF THE FREQUENCY AND SET SUB TO PLUS THEY SOUND GREAT

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    EdG

I think your post went in another direction from your original question. I have often wondered the same thing myself-do components from the same maker integrate better than those from different makes?

My experience is no. Components from the same manufacturer sometimes allow for more convience in terms of a universal remote etc but I would not say there is quality gain. N Abstenia is right in that not all manufacturers make their own components but sub them out to others so unless you really know the origin of the individual component there is a chance you are not accomplishing your goal.

Ed,

If you want to improve things with your current Orb's. Get the Mod 2 center.(Far superior to the Mod 1 IMO) The center carries the majority of all the infomation in a soundtrack and, of the 5 speakers in a surround set up is by far the most imprtant. Voices will sound more natural and the added driver will give the front stage some added punch.

Quote Originally Posted by LMB
    IF YOU NEED SMALL SPEAKERS TRY BOSTON ACOUSTICS 130's
    YOUR RECEIVER WILL CALIBRATE THEM TO LARGE BECAUSE OF THE FREQUENCY AND SET SUB TO PLUS THEY SOUND GREAT
    You mean leave them on lg because thwey will play down to 25-30Hz@85-90db?
    Look & Listen

LMB
    Forum Regular
    You will get some base out of the speaker they won't sound so tinny
    Music will sound better anyway that is my experience with the Bostons

Forum Regular

Anamorphic

Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    Ed,

If you want to improve things with your current Orb's. Get the Mod 2 center.(Far superior to the Mod 1 IMO) The center carries the majority of all the infomation in a soundtrack and, of the 5 speakers in a surround set up is by far the most imprtant. Voices will sound more natural and the added driver will give the front stage some added punch.
    Question for you if you own Orbs (I forgot). As an experiment since i have 2 sets of Mod 1 speakers for 2 rooms, I hooked the wire up 2 Orbs & listen to that as a center speaker. Is that the sound I will get out of a Mod 2 because it really didn't do anything for me when listening to CD's- I didn't adjust the DB level on them, should I have? Thanks

Forum Regular
    ed
    why do you use your center speaker when listening to cd.

bill

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    And the thing you must realize is that very few companies actually make their own stuff. In fact many Denon players (no, not all) are just Toshiba's with Denon stickers on them. So even though you have a Denon amp and Denon player, you technically don't.
    I know that a few years ago, the situation was that Denon's entry level DVD players were manufactured on a contract basis by Panasonic. But, it's definitely not as simple as Denon taking one of Panny's DVD players and slapping a new label on it. Even though those players used Panasonic transports and were manufactured by Panny, the internal specs did include a lot of modifications, such as the choice in DACs and processor units, that were custom spec'd by Denon. Denon did design and manufacture their own higher line DVD players in-house (including the transport) starting with the DVD-2800, but that unit was plagued by reliability issues with both the hardware and firmware. Not sure how they procure their current models.

In addition, most manufacturers assemble their DVD players from a wide range of suppliers. For example, only a handful of companies make DVD transports -- Toshiba, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Samsung, and some Chinese manufacturers -- while everybody has to purchase the video and audio processors from a third party. Some manufacturers might make more components in-house than others, but in all cases, DVD players are mostly an exercise in outsourcing.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Sorry I was outta town. If you're not going to change speakers, then there's really not anything left to improve, except for moving to separates (and high end components) which will cost at least $2k and the improvement may be lost on your speakers, but who knows until you try. Anything short of that will result in marginal changes that may not translate into "improvement."

I do not own Orb's but have spent some time with them. It's not as easy as just adding another Orb to create a Mod 2. Contact Orb for specifics. When I heard the Mod 2 and Mod 1 the 2 was a bit fuller sounding than the 1. Voices sounded more natural and the front stage had a bit more punch during action sequences. Why dont you buy a Mod 2 and try it out. If you do not like it send it back. These where just my impressions and not enormous or huge differences. But your always looking for tweaks.

As far as music goes I only listen to CD's in stereo because this was the inteded way to listen to CD's. This offers the most accurate representation of what the artist wants the listener to hear. I only listen to concert DVD's in 5.1 if they have the mix. If there is no 5.1 mix I will listen in stereo.

As far as setting levels go on the center I would use an SPL meter and set it to the industry standard of 75db. Granted you dont seem to like SPL meters or the industry standards and like to set things your way so set it to where you think is best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information