Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    We need to get him off the orbs. He would be happily surprised.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    "why do you use your center speaker when listening to cd"

I prefer to listen to CD's on all 5 speakers & a sub in All Channel Natural mode instead of 2 speakers & a Sub. For me, it gives the audio sound more depth. Other people don't agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Sorry I was outta town. If you're not going to change speakers, then there's really not anything left to improve, except for moving to separates (and high end components) which will cost at least $2k and the improvement may be lost on your speakers, but who knows until you try. Anything short of that will result in marginal changes that may not translate into "improvement."
    Paul your assesment is dead on. Unless Ed changes speakers his Orb's will always be the limitng factor. While Orb's are great for what they are they where not designed for all out performance. They where designed as an alternative to the crappy Bose cube speakers. So aesethitics are the big thing with Orb's not all out performace. The difference being is Orb's sound much better than Bose and they dont rip you off with sky high prices.

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=anamorphic96]I do not own Orb's but have spent some time with them. It's not as easy as just adding another Orb to create a Mod 2. Contact Orb for specifics. When I heard the Mod 2 and Mod 1 the 2 was a bit fuller sounding than the 1. Voices sounded more natural and the front stage had a bit more punch during action sequences. Why dont you buy a Mod 2 and try it out. If you do not like it send it back. These where just my impressions and not enormous or huge differences. But your always looking for tweaks."

Yeah, good idea. I'm friends with one of the owners who lives somewhat near me & I'll give him a call on that & see what he says in regards to the Mod 2 sounding different then the 2 Mod 1's I connected.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    "why do you use your center speaker when listening to cd"

I prefer to listen to CD's on all 5 speakers & a sub in All Channel Natural mode instead of 2 speakers & a Sub. For me, it gives the audio sound more depth. Other people don't agree with that.
    Does anybody else find the irony in listening to a 2 channel CD through a 5 channels of matrixed signal processsing then referring to it is 'All Natural'?

That's kinda like calling Pam Anderson a sweet flowery all natural virgin.

Forum Regular
    well said.If its recorded in 2 channel play it back in 2 channel,as was intended.Any kind of dsp changes the sound.

bill

Forum Regular

All I can Say then is What About the Sub?

Each to their own but if you insist on being devout to the letter, then you shouldn't listen to CDs through a sub either. In regards to 5 all natural channel sound, it is just that, your getting the same left & right on the fronts as you do in the back, nothing is electronically altered & the center speaker is essentially the left & right channels combined, I prefer to listen to CDs that way, you guys don't, each to their own. But if you want to take this further, then DVD-A & SACD isn't natural either for old recordings originally recorded in 2 channels. Those recordings are then either electronically altered or remixed into 5 channels even though they were never intended to be heard that way. "In order to save the village, we must destroy it!"

Forum Regular
    ed

each to his own to be sure.But when i use my sub with 2 channel it runs off the front speaker pre outs,no processing is required.The cd player is connected to the reciever through a direct input that bypasses all internal processing.It skips the dsp chip.Now denon may call their 5 channel stereo all natural but i assure you it is processed to create the extra channels.
    Have you tried 2 channel since you moved your speakers,try it.Nothing to lose.

bill

Forum Regular
    Just a matter of taste I don't like 2 channel sound no matter how good it is because 5 channel for me gives everything more depth

Hey Ed if you dont think the DSP mode you are using is processed please refer to Chapter 11, page 53 of your manual where it outlines the sound mode you are using. It states that the sound modes you call 5 channel stereo are actually a synthetically created surround mode using DSP. Digital Signal Processing. So in a nut shell what you call natural is very processed indeed. If you dont believe us call Denon.

Also just because someone is using a subwoofer does not mean it's processed. A subwoofer is used to extend the frequency response of speakers. Nothing more. Go ask the folks at Orb if you dont believe us.

Also keep in mind I have no issues with you listening in this mode just wanted to point out that what you are hearing is very processed. As you stated to each their own.

Forum Regular
    The bottom line if what your saying is right, its still less reprocessed then ProLogic or the rest of the DSP's & I personally prefer to hear CD's this way. If there is some alteration as you are saying, I don't notice it.

I didn't say it. Denon did. It's in your manual.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    well said.If its recorded in 2 channel play it back in 2 channel,as was intended.Any kind of dsp changes the sound.

bill
    Well some of us think it changes it for the better. I just dont listen to your basic stereo,its so flat. And i dont expect any of you that thinks its the way it was intended to ever use SACD/DVD-A or DTS or a concert on DVD but all of this isnt helping ED,only different speakers will.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    not true shokhead

i have many concert dvd's,an sacd player and a dvd-audio player.Many concert dvd have a lpcm to channrl mix that is far superior to the compressed dolby digital track.But i do enjoy multi channel concert mixes that put audience sounds and echos behind you,i just dont like hearing the bass player over my left shoulder and the sax player over the other one.Studio recordings are mixed to come from in front of you and my preference is to hear it that way.I have tried neo-6 and pl2,just not my thing.Buy the way sacd and dvd-a can be played back in stereo and they sound great.
    just my opinion,to each his own.
    bill

Forum Regular
    oh but your right,ed does need new speakers.The orbs just dont have enough extension.Always the best place to start rebuiding your system.
    bill

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Each to their own but if you insist on being devout to the letter, then you shouldn't listen to CDs through a sub either. In regards to 5 all natural channel sound, it is just that, your getting the same left & right on the fronts as you do in the back, nothing is electronically altered & the center speaker is essentially the left & right channels combined, I prefer to listen to CDs that way, you guys don't, each to their own. But if you want to take this further, then DVD-A & SACD isn't natural either for old recordings originally recorded in 2 channels. Those recordings are then either electronically altered or remixed into 5 channels even though they were never intended to be heard that way. "In order to save the village, we must destroy it!"
    Using a sub does not add anything artificial. It's just a speaker that reproduces the lowest octaves from the source.

As far as SACD and DVD-A, those are not DSP's. Those are sourced from the original multi-track recordings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information