Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular

Destroyed by Fire

Greetings,

My old A/V setup was lost in a fire a few days ago.

I am interested in building a system around an ONKYO TX-SR875 Receiver, a 52" TV (Sony XBR5 or Samsung), a hybrid player with HD audio/Blu-ray/HD DVD, a surround sound speaker system (DALI IKON 6 5.1 or similar), a Marantz DV7001 SACD/CD/DVD player or equal, a piece of Light Cherry furniture to place TV on and store components inside - with doors to fight off dust build up. Finally, I would like a DV Recorder with storage built in (250GB). I need advice on my choices. Are they a good fit? Please make recommendations especially on the Hybrid player or if I should go with just a dedicated Blu-Ray player instead. I know nothing about interconnects, video cables, HDMI 1.3 cables etc. I would prefer not to use Monster Cable this time around. Should I configure the new system with your help and buy via internet or go through local dealers and let them do the install on the system we design here. There are 4 people in my family - 2 adults and twin boys. Should I buy professional Home Theatre seating in a semi circle from Stressless Seating? The prior sofa/loveseat reeks of smoke damage.

Please adopt my cause and help steer me in the right direction. I am a musician so the audio has to be stellar on the new system.

Currently we are using a borrowed TV from my in laws so my kids don't go crazy and drive us crazy as well. A fire is a horrible thing to go through.

Thanks,

Eddie

Hi TwinDad, sorry to hear about the fire. A few thoughts:

1. No need to purchase a hybrid player, Blu-Ray won the war a few weeks back.

2. No need to purchase the Marantz Universal Player, the Blu-Ray player will handle your DVD collection. If you're looking for a dedicated CD Player, consider a Rega Apollo or another alternative for a similar budget (I'm not putting down the Marantz in any way, this is an excellent player)

3. Do you have an existing SACD collection? If so I can offer alternative suggestions to the Rega

4. For a stand, consider brands such as Sanus and BDI

5. For HDMI cables purchase from Monoprice

6. For seeting consider Berkline chairs

What is your full budget for this project?

Forum Regular
    Elapsed,

I lost roughly 90% of my dvd's and CD's in the fire. All the equipment is toast. This really is a fresh start and you fellow forumites have been given a clean slate to put together a state of the art A/V system for my family. I prefer Plasma or LCD - no projector/screen. The names I listed in my initial post were picked at random by spending the day at Barnes & Noble / Borders Books and Music and searching through A/V magazines. $15K for my budget. I have to stress how important SOUND is to me as a musician. Please keep the audio portion in your thoughts and high on the list. From what I read the Marantz and Dali Ikon combination are incredible pieces of kit. However, I have a teachable spirit and will listen to all suggestions and recommendations. In NY we have Harvey Electronics, Lyric Hi-Fi, and several other smaller Audio Specialty stores. I hurt my back carrying the extinguished TV outside the house - so I want an installer to do all the work.

Forum Regular
    Does the Blu-ray players play CD-R discs? I burn a lot of my own music. No pun intended.

Save your money and go with the Sony XBR4, there is virtually no significant difference in the picture from the XBR5. Unless you have money to burn, save the extra $1k and spend it on other equipment. Note that the Samsung LCD TV now has a higher glare screen as compared to the Sony. So if the TV will be facing any windows or lights, you may want to go with the Sony. Both the Samsung and Sony have comparable pictures.

Buy your audio equipment online if you can. You will save alot of money. As far as the TV is concerned, I would buy it locally in case there are problems.

Buy your cables from www.bluejeancable.com They make very good cables at reasonable prices. I just bought their F type HDMI cables and they appear to be of high quality.

That Onkyo receiver is a good start. Go with a BluRay player instead of a hybrid as mentioned before. If you have some HD DVD's already then pick up a toshiba HD player for as low as $99 before they totally disappear since HD DVD has lost the war to BluRay . The BluRay player will be able to up-convert all your standard DVD's to 1080p.

Go to the Sony web site to see if it will play CDR's.

If you need a good CDP then look at the Marantz SA8001 SACDP, Rega Apollo, Cambridge audio 740c, or 640c, Music Hall 25.2. And if you want a good low price universal player, consider the OPPO 980HD.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Awesome Post blackraven!! Thank you - especially for the Sony TV tip. There are 2 windows on one wall and a giant bay window on the other wall. Lots of sunlight all day long. What Blu-ray player is the best in terms of picture quality and HD AUDIO?

I wish I could help you with the BR players. My Sony 52" XBR4 came with a free Sony BDP 300 bluray player as a package for $2,990. I like the player so far. I would talk to the salesmen at your local store and compare the different players. I have not seen any difference in video capability among the players though.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    blackraven - How are the electrostat Maggies for Music? Are they everything I've read about over the years? They are supposed to have an incredible soundstage and make you feel like you are at a concert or recital from my understanding. Just curious.

The magnepans are fantastick for music. If the recording is a good recording you do feel like they are playing live in front of your. The sound stage is huge. For the money, nothing compares to them. They like well recorded music and poorly recorded music will sound like crap because they dont color the music like box speakers tend to do. They tend to be better for jazz, acoustic, vocal, classical and blues than hard rock because hard rock is all to often recorded poorly.

I have mine integrated with my HT and they work well.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I'm thinking about the 50" Pioneer Elite Kuro Plasma for my TV. Great reviews.

Very nice TV tyhe Pioneer, you cant go wrong with it otr the Panasonics. Check out the new consumer reports on TV ratings. I think that they are spot on. I love my Sony and I'm happy I went LCD. The picture is fantastick and the blacks are black as can be. I dont think black level is much of an issue any more. Fast motion is good too because of the 120Hz refresh rate. The standard audio from the Sony is excellent as well.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    A dealer told me to save my money and buy the non-Elite version of the Pioneer 50" Kuro Plasma TV. He said with proper calibration I won't notice a difference and I can use the money on speakers and source equipment.

I saw a 40" SONY XBR4 at best buy that was very nice. They did not have a 46" or 52" XBR4 on display. I liked the screen because it did not have the glare of the plasmas.

Does the XBR4 come with that 120Hz refresh rate feature for faster motion visuals?

Thanks for helping me out so much blackraven.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

κατελθόντα εἰς τὰ κατώτατα

Hey TwinDad,

First and foremost, welcome to the forum. Hopefully nobody was in the house at the time of the fire. I lived through such a thing years back--truly a harrowing experience. Glad you're alright.

A few thoughts. You could go out, sight unseen, sound unheard, and buy whatever gear was listed here--and I think you're on the right track with the Onkyo and the marantz--but speakers are something you need to listen to for yourself. They're such an individual thing. Does Dali make superior kit? Some say yes, to others not so much. You're the one that has to live with the things.

I suggest you listen to the Dalis, and Paradigm, and KEF, and B&W, and Vienna Accoustic, and Martin Logan, etc. With each listen identify characteristics of the speakers that you like/dislike and think longterm...unless you want to join the sopeaker-of-the-month club.

Make sure to take some discs with which you are familiar and be ready to give the salesperson the dimensions of your room. If he/she's any good it'll be one of the first questions asked.

Good luck, have fun shopping and keep us informed as to your progress...

Cheers

Forum Regular
    Thanks bobsticks - I am going to visit several small dealers this week and next week to audition everything. WHATHIFI rates the Dali Ikon 6 5.1 system as being superlative for movies AND music. Music is extremely important to me.

Are you in the U.K.? If so, I would imagine the Dalis would be significantly more affordable than on this side of the pond...which leaves more in the budget for toys...hehehe

Forum Regular
    USA - DALI IKON 6 5.1 are supposed to be killer!

The XBR4 has the 120Hz refresh rate. You wont be sorry with the Sony. Once you take it home and see the picture on a good HD signal you will be awestruck! There is virtually no glare and it has a very bright picture. I can open my shades to the 4 huge south facing windows and still watch the TV with out any problems. The windows face the TV! The viewing angle is excellent as well.

Very good advice from Bobsticks concerning speakers. Don't be in a hurry, take your time and listen to as many as you can, preferably on the same amp and CD player if possible. Bring your own music, something that is a good recording like jazz as well as the type of music you like to listen too.

If your looking for a 5.1 system, put together your own instead of a package deal. you will get alot better sound. If you need suggestions, just ask and telll us your budget for speakers and sub woofer.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

dax
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    My Sony 52" XBR4 came with a free Sony BDP 300 bluray player as a package for $2,990.
    That's a great package price. Can you tell us where you purchased them? Thanks in advance!

dax
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    My Sony 52" XBR4 came with a free Sony BDP 300 bluray player as a package for $2,990.
    That's a great package price. Can you tell us where you purchased them? Thanks in advance!

Forum Regular
    Check this out:

Hi everyone,

I spoke with a local dealer several times over the last few days via phone and told him my budget was no more than $17K for everything.

When I got to his store today - the high end listening room was piled high with boxes. The system he tried to sell me with install cost in the mid $30K range. I was really disappointed. He had Thiel CS3.7 speakers hooked up to some exotic stuff - ANTHEM processor, etc. He did not listen to a thing I said prior on the phone.

I'm bummed out.

I'd like to issue a challenge. You know my budget. Design a great sounding A/V system for me and I will pick the winner and send him a great knife as a gift for the effort. I collect knives as a hobby.

PM me with trustworthy internet or phone order dealers who are known for being reputable and their discounting of price.

Does this sound like a fair challenge? I will post pics of the system once installed.

Great Big Thanks!!!

Eddie

Okay, TD, I'll play...a few questions first though:

1) What instrument do you play?
    2) How big is your room?
    3) What styles of music do you listen to?
    4) Describe the furnishings of the room in question?

Forum Regular
    bobsticks,

I play guitar and bass for over 30 years. I am learning piano as are my twin sons.

Room 20'L x 14'W with 8' ceilings. Open floor plan. Large Archways delineate various rooms. Only 2 doors: Main entry and Bathroom.

70% Solo Piano, 15% Orchestral Music, 15% Jazz, Rock,etc. are my listening habits.

Large Bookcase, Sofa. Loveseat, Chair, 2 End Tables, 1 Piano, - Sofa and Loveseat are going to be replaced with HT seating.

90% Carpeted Throughout.

You have plenty of options for $17,000.

Go for the Magnepans with that kind of taste in music. 3.6's as the mains, CC3 for center and MC1's as rear channel. Sony 52"XBR4 LCD TV. And a REL Britannia Sub which matches very well with the Magnepans.

Or a Theil system of CS 2.4's or 3.6's for front channels and the SCS4 rears, MCS1 for the center. For a sub either of these REL subs Britannia B3 as my first choice, its an awesome sub, or the R-305. If you dont want to spend 2K on a sub then the Velodyne SPL-1000R

Both these systems would be great for piano and orchestral music.

I would seriously consider the Cambridge Audio 840c as a CDP. There are better for more money, but the 840c is alot of bang for the buck if your looking to save a little money.

As far as amps, I'll leave that to other people.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I'm calling around looking for a Maggie dealer and have not (as of yet) found one.
    Thanks blackraven - I want to audition those speakers.

Go to the magnepan web site and see if you can find any dealers in your area. You can call them as well. They have been very helpful over the phone in the past. I live about 20 min from their factory. www.magnepan.com

The 3.6's will cost about $5K, the center and rear speakers will cost about $1500. If the 3.6's cost too much then look at the QR1.6's for $1800. You will need an amp that is rated at 4ohms with at least 200wpc for all 5 channels.

By the way, where do you live?
    Last edited by blackraven; 02-28-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP