Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hey TD, I agree with bobsticks. Check out the Magnolia dept of BB. Vienna acoustics and Martin Logan speakers are very good. You can even order REL subs through them.
    The Martin Logan Servo controlled subs are excellent as well. They have very tight crisp bass. You cant go wrong with either of those brand of speakers. Dont be fooled by the fact they are sold at BB. They are audiophile speakers.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    bobsticks,

I missed the whole Magnolia post. Must have been overtired.

GREAT IDEA!!! In name alone "Vienna" Acoustics just sounds like it was made to play classical music. My attempt at humor.

There are 3 Best Buys in my area. The one i stopped in to look at Pioneer Elite KURO 50" 1080p PRO-110FD Plasma TV was still in the construction phase and did not have any components hooked up. All the TV's were on though. Plus, they were seriously understaffed. Nobody even approached my family to see if they could help us. However,
    I am going to attempt to call the remaining 2 stores and see if they are set up as Magnolia sites and fully operational. Circuit City was the worst. Salespeople were just talking to themselves and DID NOT CARE about customer service.

I read an article that says PLASMA is dead. pioneer has joined Fujitsu and is pulling out of the Plasma market. Should I buy now or wait and see how deep the discounts get? Any recommendations on Elite internet dealers that offer great discounts? Hope I can ask that question. If you guys can't reply to thread about dealers - then please PM me.

Thanks,

Eddie

Dynaudio speakers have caught my interest. I've been researching them.

The Audiogon site has great High End gear - but even used it is still somewhat expensive.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad
    .... Plus, they were seriously understaffed. Nobody even approached my family to see if they could help us. However,
    I am going to attempt to call the remaining 2 stores and see if they are set up as Magnolia sites and fully operational. Circuit City was the worst. Salespeople were just talking to themselves and DID NOT CARE about customer service.

I read an article that says PLASMA is dead. pioneer has joined Fujitsu and is pulling out of the Plasma market. Should I buy now or wait and see how deep the discounts get? Any recommendations on Elite internet dealers that offer great discounts? Hope I can ask that question. If you guys can't reply to thread about dealers - then please PM me
    Hey Eddie,

I wouldn't worry about the service aspect with a Magnolia. My experience is that they set those things up overstaffed. I've usually had to turn people away just to browse, so make those calls.

Often we blow a lot of heat at Best Buy sometimes warranted and sometimes not---and God knows Circuit City couldn't suck more---but Magnolia is a little different beast. I've read a great deal of positive things online about initial service and follow up.

I could be wrong, and if someone knows this to be false please challenge it, but I believe that Pioneer is bowing out of the 42 inch and under plasma categories. It's my understanding that they're going to concentrate on the larger, higher margin Elite models exclusively. I doubt that there will be any deep discounts.

I mentioned the Vienna Acoustics because they seem to do alot of things well and if they err, it's on the side of warmth. I found them fully capable of handling delicate passages with aplomb but lacking the high-end sizzle that can cause fatigue. This seems to fit your stated criteria...and this was just through a receiver. One can only imagine what they would bring to the table when backed by a proper amp.

Speaking of amps, there are a few guys on the forum that own the Viennas but rarely make it to the "Home Theater" section. I'm going to post up in the "Speakers" section and see if we can't get some input from some characters with hands-on experience.

Peace

--sticks

Forum Regular
    bobsticks,

Thanks for the reply. RE: the Vienna Acoustics and the "Speakers" section - what do you mean by post up?

Making sure kids practice piano and have not had chance to call Best Buys - it will have to wait till tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Eddie

Forum Regular
    bobsticks,

Thanks - I see what you did for me. I added my 2 cents also.

Greetings All!

My family and I went to a Best Buy that was supposed to have a Magnolia Home Theater Center - at least that was what they lied about on the phone. Did not get a chance to audition any "nicer" equipment such as the Vienna Acoustic speakers, etc. - because, well, they lied on the phone or just were clueless.

The positive aspect was that my wife and I were able to view the Transformers movie on Pioneer and Panasonic Plasmas that were side by side and we could not tell a difference given the poor viewing conditions. I have been reading that a vast majority of Pioneer Kuros have some "Buzzing" problems that have sparked a bounty of returns/exchanges/returns. Is this true of all Plasma TV's given the nature of the medium?
    Do LCD's have a buzzing issue? What is best for gaming - Plasma or LCD? What LCD has the best "viewing angle" stats? Most of the LCD's looked washed out when not viewed dead on from a visual sweet spot.

What is coming out in the not-to-distant future that I should wait for in terms of Panasonic or Pioneer Plasmas or high end LCD's? Lots of questions - I know, I know. I don't want to waste my money and am being careful.

Thanks,

Eddie

Hey Eddie,

Too bad about the fake-out. It's a sad statement that the employees at the service desk in a 70,000 square foot store can't keep abreast of even the most basic of goings on.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...244#post226244

That link should provide you with a little "hard data" about your potential investment. Notice none of the major players have over a three or four percent return history, so odds are pretty well in your favor.

For hardcore gaming--like three and four hours at a time--LCD is probably a safer bet, though it must be said that alot of the factors that have traditionally caused this have been successfully addressed by plasma manufacturers.

Peace
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    bobsticks,

Checking out link after this reply. 1 hour a day gaming mandatory time frame for the kids and only after they have done their homework, practiced piano, and practiced Martial Arts.

I don't play games. No time.

Is the German from a Rammstein song?

Eddie

Hey Eddie,

Traditionally the knock on plasmas has been the potential for "burn-in" on a static image. This was especially a concern for gamers as the scoreboxes and meters often transferred from scene to scene. So, despite the game continuing on their would be these imprints left on the screen from these non moving images.

This concern has recently been addressed by technology which "sweeps" pixels. I'm not really sure about the operational aspects of it but one of my crew has had a Samsung model with this for almost two years and has had zero problems. He is a prolific gamer and computer jockey.

The phrase is actually from a "Brian Brains" album from the omnipresent Martin Atkins. Loosely translated it says, "Time flies when you're having toast". Clearly, I have influences across the board.

Speaking of tunes, I picked up a couple of discs you might want to try out on the new system. Michel Camilo's Triangulo is full of some lovely latin rhythms and solid paino playing. The Maurizio Pollini Edition from Telarc is just what you'd expect from that esteemed label, including pieces from Schoenberg and Webern.

Peace

Forum Regular
    bobsticks,

I will try this out: "Michel Camilo's Triangulo is full of some lovely latin rhythms and solid paino playing."

I already own the Pollini and many others by him. My wife and I have seen him in a solo
    piano recital and it was transcendent. He played Chopin Sonata No.2 in B-flat minor, Op.35 ( Funeral March ), Beethoven's "Appasionata" piano sonata, and Schumann's Kinderszenen. He encored with Chopin's Nocturne in E minor and brought the house down. One of the 10 best I've ever attended.

I have been researching Plasma Buzz and evidently ALL Plasma TV's have this problem.
    Now I'm back to the drawing board. I know I would hear the buzz, focus on the buzz, obsess about the buzz, and finally just get totally fixated on the problem.

I may try to find an LCD that allows for a wider viewing angle - maybe even just get a 46" screen to save money and pump it into the audio portion. Just thinking out loud. i know me and buying a product with a known issue just does not sit right,

Eddie

TD, I'm not aware of any buzzing problem with LCD's. You should check out the Sony XBR's. We have not noticed any degredation of the picture from watching from the side of the TV.

Go for the 52" XBR4, you'll love it. The picture is fantastic! And no worries about glare. You'll be sorry if you go with a 46".
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks blackraven! My old TV was a Sony CRT XBR and it lasted 17 years before it flamed out. I miss that TV.

Greetings to ALLon the Forum,

Today is a good day. My wife is driving. I took my pain meds and we are on are way to see the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra in an All Dvorak Program:

Carnival Overture, Op. 92
    Piano Concerto in G minor, Op. 33
    Symphony No. 9 in E minor, Op. 95, From the New World

I'm a happy man.

See some of my more recent posts please and let me know if you can shed any light on my Plasma Buzzing vs LCD Viewing Angle concerns.

Your Friend,

Eddie

Sounds like a good time.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers?

Very,very nice but do they make a center channel? For multi-channel SACD you must have coherency across, at least, the front soundstage and preferably the whole ensemble.

Suspended
    I purchased the Sony KDL52XBR5 just before Christmas. I also have a Hitachi 57S715 which I was very happy with until getting the Sony. The picture is amazing on the XBR, almost three-dimensional. Colors are right-on and well saturated. I do ISF calibrations occasionally when I have time, but didn't have to change anything. The Standard mode grey-scale was perfect throughout the 20IRE-100IRE range. I needed only a slight tint adjustment.

The Vivid mode, by design is very bright, with high contrast and well, but not overly saturated colors. I hate it when I see colors bloom, most often it's the reds. Even with the color setting higher than other modes, it still didn't bloom. The only thing I did notice and has been the most critical complaint of LCDs, are occasional motion artifacts.

I'm still playing with settings. I purchased the Sony STR-DA5300ES receiver at the same time. It has settings designed specifically to work with the Bravia XBR displays to minimized the motion artifacts. I just haven't had the time to fully optimize the setup.

Rounding out the system I have Legacy Focus mains, Legacy Silver Screen center, T&A P-30 for rear surrounds and Klipsch RS-3s as side surrounds. Sources include PS3, HD-DVD A3-D2, Dishnetwork Vip622 HD receiver. I have my mains bi-amp'd using the Sony for the hi/mid range and a Yamaha M-65 for the Focus' 3-12"/ch woofers. Sounds impressive, but still in tweak-mode.

Forum Regular
    bobsicks: They do make a center channel speaker and surrounds as well. Someone was kind enough to offer me an extraordinary deal on the Adagios that he no longer needed. The rest of the speakers I would have to purchase through a dealer. They are a transmission line type speaker - whatever that means. They look BEAUTIFUL and are supposed to sound wonderful.

bfalls - That is quite a setup you have there. We liked SONY XBR TV's as well and spent a half an hour watching one the other day at Best Buy playing a Christina Aguilera Concert special on Blu-Ray Disc. Very nice!!

The Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers have my interest and I have printed out every review I could find to read tonight. I have to make a decision quickly or I may lose out on the offer. Wish I could demo them first but that is impossible because half a continent separates us distance-wise. Source is a highly respected member of Audio Community who read my story and allowed me to verify his name, existence, Audio credentials, etc.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Eddie
    Last edited by TwinDad; 03-11-2008 at 12:47 PM.

TD, you should really audition the speakers you buy. It would be a shame to buy a pair of speakers just based on a review and find that the sound is not to your liking. Go listen to the Studio and Signature Paradigms as well as the Vienna Acoustics which were on TAS's short list of recommended speakers and were speaker of the year a few years ago.
    The Vienna's sound great and look like a piece of well made furniture as a bonus.

Here's my short list of recommended components

NAD master series amp/pre
    Marantz SA8001 SACDP or the SA115
    Cambridge Audio 840c CDP for STD CD or just use the marantz
    REL Britannica 2 or 3 sub, Velodyne SPL 10 sub. B&W sub your were looking at
    Paradigm Studio 100 or Signature 6 speakers and corresponding monitors and center channels
    BR player
    Sony XBR 52" LCD

I like the NAD Master series amps because they have a nice warmer sound that will fit your taste in music. You can always go with a Conrad Johnson set up or something by Bryston or Krell. You have so many options, I wish I had that budget starting out.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Greetings All,

This is what I am trying to say I want in a loudspeaker: DISPERSION!!!

The following excerpt is from Home Electronic Ideas Winter 2008 magazine article:

"SOUNDSTAGE and IMAGING are important concepts in Hi-Fi. DISPERSION refers to how well a loudspeaker can maintain a consistent sound throughout the room. Since we don't always sit in the "sweet spot" of a room, speakers with wide dispersion and a quality soundstage are ideal. Soundstage refers to how clearly and convincingly it reproduces a sense of space encoded on the recording.

SOUNDSTAGE and IMAGING are often used interchangeably, IMAGING actually relates how precisely sounds occur or emanate within a sounstage.

Picture a concert hall: This is your soundstage. Now imagine players standing on stage playing their instruments. These are your images."

I did not write the explanations above myself. They were paraphrased from the magazine mentioned earlier.

I, Eddie, am looking for loudspeakers known for their DISPERSION ability as a top priority.

Thanks,

Eddie

Forum Regular
    blackraven,

I am looking forward to auditioning the Paradigm Signature series and have found the following authorized dealers in my area:

AUDIO BREAKTHROUGHS, LTD.
    1534 NORTHERN BLVD.
    MANHASSET, NY
    516-627-7333

AUDIO/VIDEO SALON
    1553 2ND AVE.
    NEW YORK, NY
    212-249-4104

SAGA ELECTRONICS
    20 WASHINGTON ST.
    TENAFLY, NJ
    201-503-0700

I think there are closer dealers in CT and NJ. I just have to get the correct zip codes to enter into the search function at the Paradigm Signature Series Dealer Locater.

I found a review on the NAD Master Amp. Read it later. Marantz has always appealed to me. Lots of choices now. Soon I'll be fit enough to begin auditioning everything. I wonder how long it will take to go through all the recommended components that have been suggested.

Thanks,

Eddie

Great to hear that you're going to get out to at least audition the speakers. Given your criteria of "Dispersion" don't even bother with the Mozarts that they carry at Magnolia. They won't do it in a room the size of yours.

Check out the Beethoven Concert Grands as mains, perhaps to be accompanied by the Maestro Grand as a center and the Bach Grands as surrounds. I believe these would be a good fit with NAD and Marantz gear, and you can't beat REL subs with a stick.

Eddie, where do you live in NY? I grew up in the Canarcy area of Brooklyn and my father eventually moved to Amityville on the water.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I broke our budget after totaling everything up. Wife not happy. We still need to replace a digital piano and buy Living Room Furniture.

I am going to print thread - and see what I want to keep and what can be replaced with a more modest product.

Oppo. I heard they are excellent. However, to get the best benefits AUDIO-WISE for MUSIC only - I need to hook up a DAC. What on Earth is a DAC? How does it work? Recommend a few budget minded DAC's for the Oppo players so I can enjoy multichannel SACD & CD/CD-R collection.

It was a brutal weekend - in terms of finance expenditure justification to my better half for the A/V system.

The part of the system I want to spend or focus on most is the Speakers. I'm willing to drop from a 50' to 42" Plasma to free up funds, go with an A/V Receiver instead of separates, and think affordable audio instead of high end.

Licking my wounds,

Eddie

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    blackraven,

I am looking forward to auditioning the Paradigm Signature series and have found the following authorized dealers in my area:

AUDIO BREAKTHROUGHS, LTD.
    1534 NORTHERN BLVD.
    MANHASSET, NY
    516-627-7333

AUDIO/VIDEO SALON
    1553 2ND AVE.
    NEW YORK, NY
    212-249-4104

SAGA ELECTRONICS
    20 WASHINGTON ST.
    TENAFLY, NJ
    201-503-0700

I think there are closer dealers in CT and NJ. I just have to get the correct zip codes to enter into the search function at the Paradigm Signature Series Dealer Locater.

I found a review on the NAD Master Amp. Read it later. Marantz has always appealed to me. Lots of choices now. Soon I'll be fit enough to begin auditioning everything. I wonder how long it will take to go through all the recommended components that have been suggested.

Thanks,

Eddie
    Have you actually contacted Audio-Video Salon yet ? It is my understanding that they charge a fee just to walk in the door to audition equipment. Also, SoundCity ( no association with the other Sound City) located at 58 West 45th Street is a Paradigm Dealer. I don't know if they have Paradigm Signature Series in stock but you can call and find out -- their number is (212) 575-0210, ask for salesman Wagner. I bought my Paradigm Monitor Series HT speakers and my PSB Stratus Gold i's from them and got nice discounts.

I broke our budget after totaling everything up. Wife not happy.
    Earlier you mentioned an enclosed cabinet, particularly to keep out dust. Have you considered an open rack versus and enclosed one as a means of cost savings. In my experience not only are enclosed cabinets more expensive than open ones of similar materials and construction, they really do little or nothing to prevent dust build-up. In fact they actually hide dust and make it more difficult to get under and in back of components.

With an open rack, its much easier to keep clean because you reach every nook and cranny with a duster. I use the Swiffer Duster with extension wand on my racks for five minutes or less once or twice a week. I find that's all it takes to keep everything clean. The money you save on an open rack can be spent elsewhere. Just my $.02.
    Last edited by Glen B; 03-17-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Forum Regular
    No I have not been there and would never go anywhere that charged a fee to audition equipment. Just me.

Eddie

Forum Regular
    Greetings,

I have 48 hours left to make a decision to purchase a slightly used pair of Acoustic Zen Adagios Floorstanders for $2700 before the deal falls through and they get listed on Audiogon for $3800 I believe.

Should I buy them and then slowly build up a surround sound speaker system by buying the center channel and rear surrounds from dealers as additional cash becomes available. I have to buy the Adagio Jr.'s and they are very expensive speakers for the center and rears.

Start off with all the electronics for a HT - just use mains for a while - and then come Christmas fill out the rest of the system for true HT.

Sound like a plan?

Please visit the Acoustic Zen site and read the reviews on the Adagios. At one point several years ago they were Stereophile Class A listed but have not been re-tested in a long time.

Thanks.

Eddie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information