Thread: which receiver?

Forum Regular

which receiver?

Hello again guys, okay ive decided between denon avr2803 or yamaha rx-v1400?
    which do you think is better??? please tell me why? both cost about the same.this will mainly be used for movies!

Both should be fine for home theater and music use. Right now, I would go with the Yamaha all other things being equal because of the YPAO parametric room calibration feature. Normally, I don't recommend one model over another because of one feature, but unlike a lot of the other features that get packed into receivers nowadays, parametric room calibration can make a bottomline difference in the sound quality. That type of function is the wave of the future and Denon's about to introduce their own version of it with the upcoming AVR-3805. For now though, only Pioneer and Yamaha have that type of function incorporated into an affordable receiver.

I second the Yammie. These receivers usually last for years and years and won't break down on you. And if you're funning a seven speaker and one subwoofer setup the yamaha has dolby pro logic IIx wich is the same as pro logic II but adds two rear surround speakers along with the regualr surrounds.

-Joey

Forum Regular
    I have to disagree with the first statement by Woochifer that either one would be a good choice. From strictly a sonic performance standpoint, that could be true ... but there's more to it than that. To pick a component from strictly a performance evaluation is missing a major point in my view. That is, the qualities of reliability and of customer support. When these two parameters are taken into the equation, it becomes a no-brainer of the highest order ... the Yamaha is likely to be so far ahead of the Denon in these two important parameters, that it's a joke!

Don't think twice about this decision - and whatever you do, do NOT listen to anyone who tells you to go listen to the two of them and pick the one that you think sounds "better". That's a crock of crap if there ever was one. The fact that the Yammie also includes the YPAO feature (which the Denon doesn't) just puts the final nail in the coffin.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Thread Information