Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Regular
    To the original poster: Have you ever taken apart a Bose speaker?

Try it. You will be stunned. The materials used are on-par with the KLH/RCA speakers found at Radio Shack. Gotta love those paper cone tweeters....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jocko_nc
    I just hope that everyone interested in a Bose system would open their minds and ears, and take a good hard listen. Unlearn what they think they know, and compare all that is out there. Then, each can have what he likes. To make such a big purchase on name recognition (as in recognized by the largely uninformed) is nuts. Bose's massive advertising campaign has created this situation. They make it easy to blow a lot of money on their products. Their products are easy in themselves. However, how often is the easy path the "best" path?

I honestly think that most people who do the above will end up with a better product for the money.

jocko
    While I agree 100% with what you said, I feel it extends beyond just sound equipment. People need to make up their own minds and compare and review, especially before spend $2000 on anything.
    Unfortunately I see this problem all the time being in the technology field. I absolute hate it when I hear ... No one every gets fired for buying Microsoft or Cisco, etc. It drives me nuts, because other companies make better products.

People need to stop being sheep and walk their own path

Greg
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    PSB Image T65
    PSB Image C60
    PSB Image S50
    Yamaha YST-SW1500
    Mitsubishi WS-55807
    Sony DVP-NC875V SACD
    Logitech Harmony 880
    Iriver Ihp-120 MP3 Player

Forum Regular
    Amen, HAVIC. To run further with your point...

This is an audio / video website dedicated to technology and equipment. However, consider the content we may (or may not) play on our beloved toys. Consider popular music and video. Talk about sub-mediocre products sustained by mass advertising and image. Talk about overpriced and underperformance. Talk about a wholly-created market of fraud. IMO, 95+% of popular music and its industry is a sick joke. Perhaps this is something we can bash harder than Bose?

jocko

Everybody! Get out your clubs and torches! Let's go bash & burn everything! Women and children first! BWAHAHAHAHAHA............

Oops, sorry. I got cought up in the moment.

I'm better now.
    Have you seen my brother George?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

golden ear
    Bose did a very good job in marketing their products, their brand. it has become a household name and in fact, a mindset has been put into place for so many fanatics...but hey, they deserve it..they make good speakers...sorry for them, a lot of other brands make better speakers.

AR Maniac
    Okay so maybe it is the consumers I dislike more than the speaker. I just know there is much better out there especially in the full size range.

Oh those label shoppers....
    Pioneer CLDM301LDP
    Mits HSU510 hifi VCR
    Pioneer DV563A DVDP
    Sony HD SAT Receiver
    Polk RT 16 main spks
    BIC center channel
    Klipsch Synergy S3 surround
    Samsung DVD Recorder DVD -R120
    KLH 120 Subwoofer
    Monster cabling all around

AR Newbie Registered Member

Bose is Junk!

I think Bose is cheap and a waist of money! I have heard systems sound way better than Bose. However, there are hundreds of different speaker brands. Why? Because there are so many different tastes in sound. Some people think Bose sounds great. Others like me think they sound weak and boring.

If you are a Bose supporter. Please go to a store that has great hi end gear (NOT CIRCUIT CITY!!! THEY DON'T HAVE A CLUE, PLUS THEY AREN'T HIGH END.)

Listen to some B&W 800 series speakers!!

Some other great brands are:

Krell
    Sunfire
    Kimber Kable
    Purist Audio Design
    Klipsch

This stuff can be pricy but they sound awesome!!! Just give them a try!

Mike

Forum Regular
    Why do people on forums bash Bose? Excellent question. Primarily this is due to either an Acoustimass system, Wave radio, or 3-2-1 system. Another major issue is Bose lack of giving out speaker and sub specifications. If you are happy with your system that is excellent. Mine, OTOH, consists of Onix Rocket speakers and sub, a Yamaha receiver, and Panasonic DVD player and I am very happy with it. Odds are it will change in time but such is the nature of this expensive hobby.

Forum Regular
    I'm not even going to read all the replies. I see it all before. Bose SUCKS. Yes I have owned bose home products and my Z-28 came with Bose. They use inferior material and shady manufacturing and marketing practices. Muff said the SUCK and they will always SUCK. Maybe if the lowered the pricews and played down all the "We are SUPER" hype than I might respect them. But if you sell **** than don't try to pass it off as gold.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by caniac
    To the original poster: Have you ever taken apart a Bose speaker?

Try it. You will be stunned. The materials used are on-par with the KLH/RCA speakers found at Radio Shack. Gotta love those paper cone tweeters....

Okay so I read a few post, Caniac did you say paper cones. The crap they use isn't worthy of being called paper. (Not flaming you by the way )

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vxaudio
    Better off with something else?? Another simple minded comment. Why some "know it all" members here say things like that is beyond me. It really turns off alot of people to forums where 90% of the info is greatly helpful. Better off with what? There are plenty of speakers that Bose blows away. Instead of helpful comments on who someone would be better off with (in their 1 opinion also), this user just made a stupid, non-helpful comment. When is it gonna stop?
    You are getting too wound up about this. If you go into a store, a real store where you can hear things, not like Best Buy or other big box place where you have to listen above the din of daily activities, and can listen to a few different speakers on the same system to get a real feel for what each has going for it, putting away your internal prejudices (the hard part), and just listening...you can learn a lot. Although this sounds easy, it really isn't. Bose isn't typically sold outside of big box and appliance type stores. Bose will actually pay a "slotting fee" to be placed away from other speakers to limit comparisons in a store.

Nicer stores tend not to carry Bose products since their performance relative to price isn't adequate for their customer base. Bose is marketed to, and sold to NON-AUDIO people. They are a friendly, smiling face and a recognized name in a sea of "unknowns" to Jim and Jane Doe. Drop names like Paradigm, Energy, Mirage, B&W, Dynaudio, etc, and you will get a blank look from 95% of the rest of the world. Mention Bose, and you have 95% name recognition. Most people buy audio equipment every 10-15 years or more. They are unaware of the audio marketplace, and often don't even know where to begin researching. Most of their friends are no help whatsoever. Kind of like asking your mechanic neighbor about brain surgery, or a brain surgeon about a problem with your car. Fish out of water.

You are more advanced than many, trying to find information here. You will find a lot of opinions, and interspersed with those opinions some real information. Bose is a mixed bag. The speakers are "lifestyle" oriented, not performance oriented, so they just don't work for many in a place like this. However, they don't try to sell them to me or a lot of other guys here. I'm most certainly not their market, and they don't care to try to sell me speakers, they want the other 95%, the "great unwashed", who will buy something that outperforms their TV and will be pleased as punch about it. They have "name brand" speakers, so they gain the acceptance of their friends (that plays into it a lot, as someone mentioned, Bose customers tend to be label concious).

Bose is often "the first step on the Underground Railroad" to audio enlightenment. Because of Bose, there is an incredible array of sub-sat speaker systems out there. Without the Bose product, it wouldn't be there. Bose has made many audio budgets bigger, even if they didn't buy Bose products. However, Bose fanatics are some of the most insufferable people you will ever encounter. They have a couple of things in common. They have no exposure to other audio products, and they are often buying their first "real" system. Kind of like getting advice from people here. You never know if they are raving about a system they own, without having much experience with other things.

Bose may be the best choice for you right now, they may be in the long term, for YOU. Then again, if they get you to really start to listen to music, one day you will walk through a store and say "Holy Crap!!!, what the H-E-double toothpicks is that", hearing music in a way you had never thought possible. That happened early in my lifetime, for some folks it is later.

BTW, no offense, but the absolute best Bose acronym I've ever heard came from a Bose Rep many years back. Buy Other Speakers Eventually.

Space
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I remember working summers at Best Buy when I was in college. Whenever I sold audio equipment I nicely steered customers away from the cheapo brands and suggested Yamaha, Klipsch, etc... basically the best brands BB carries. I would then give them a simple tutorial on how speakers are supposed to sound and carefully explain why the Bose lifestyle system isn't worth $3000. I would lead them to the listening room and demonstrate. The bass module sounds like poo and it's boomy so I usually started there. I said, "if you have 3 grand to drop on a HT system, you need to visit The Audio Room on the other side of town. Systems there will blow your mind. That's where guys with $3000 budgets shop." It usually worked, but yeah, some people just walk in and say "I want Bose now. Go get it stockboy." You can't do much there.

If people want BOSE they should buy BOSE. To me personally listening to a box speaker is very close to listening to a BOSE speaker. Now dont be offended you all, but for me personally 99% of the boxes i heard sound like complete ****. You can chase me all across town with a box that comes with 4 different drivers, chassy volumes, resonances and that just won some review. Argh!

BOSE is overprized **** regardless of reviews (Martin DeWulf gave the acoustamass a good review) that is the guy that gets quoted by some big names on Paradigm reviews etc.. which says it all right there. The cubes are small, cute and easy as hell to connect and to run. For a rich family or someone who wants a easy to use system that looks good they are exellent. But please dont talk about sonics. This is the same sin like that idiotic post of the 901 to Maggie switch

Cheers

Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

NINJA TURTLE
    I am here to brag about my used and new vintage system that will BLOW AWAY ANY BOSE BY STAR TREK LIGHT YEARS!
    receiver: pioneer vsx 912 linked to vsx 1014....each 7.1 preouts is amplified with CARVER
    TFM 35, 500x, m-400t, 1.5t(pair), dbx 4 ch/amp, pyramid 4 ch/amp, audiosource and acousonic monoblocks amps. Carver c-4000t, c-5, c-16 preamps. Jvc/kenwood 7 disc and 5 disc dvd player with faroudja processor. Denon DP-57L/ DP-62L TURNTABLES, sony/technics dual cassette decks. Teac x2000r open reel tape deck.
    Dbx 400x route selector, 3bx series 3 w/impact restoration expander, 3bx dbx ds, 1bx ds range controllers, RG-1 dynamic processor, 3 acoustic research passive TDS-202 enhancer. SRSLABS pro 220 spatial enhancer, peavey kosmos w/subharmonic synthesizer, BBE 362 sw sonic maximizer, behringer spatial enhancer, APHEX aurel exciter w/big bottom, alesis compressor, pyramid equalizer, adc ss415 equalizer, ATI single 31 band equalizer, carver H-9AV sonic holography.
    INFOCUS entry level projector and da-lite 72x96" white matte screen
    accessories: monster, rca and acoustic research cables, wires and banana plugs.
    3 dakiom feedback stabilizers HR-103, R-103S
    subwoofer: DCM1515 dual 15 inch woofer and KLH 12 " subwoofer, acoustat SPW-1L
    4, 8" passive woofers.
    center: audio pro .4, yamaha 444es, rca linaeum, klipsch sc-.5, wharfedale zaldek, srslabs klayman signature
    rear: optimus lineaum lx-5/lx-77, klipsch ss-3, wharfedale dipole, ohm walsh 2, magnepan mglrs-1
    FRONT: ACOUSTAT SPECTRA 33, EMINENT TECHNOLOGY LFT-8A, OHM walsh 2x0, magnepan .05,

do i really have room for these, well, it's an experiment! the sound is out of this world...
    my dakiom stabilizers keeps the system clean from distortion like water filter is to a faucet. what you got here are a combination of electrostats, planars, flat panel drivers, walsh drivers, linaeum drivers and horns not just dynamic drivers and dome tweeters and midrange...coupled with tons of sound processors.....HEARING IS BELIEVING!
    How can you possibly compare this to any BOSE???
    all under 10k considered its all used and vintage 80's, 90's and 2004....where is my bose 901's? it's thrashed and in storage with thrashed drivers.

Forum Regular
    THE questions that still remains from my original post is WHY Direct speakers are preferred over BOSE's direct and reflecting method???
    With today's mutichannel systems positioning si very very important. If you have a direct/reflect speaker you are basically providing a diffuse source, which might work for surround speakers, but not for main speakers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information