Best cable for long run...DVI, VGA, HDMI?

I posted this in the Cables section, but I'm not having much luck there. I know most everybody comes here

Assuming all other things are equal, which of these would be best to use for a long video run?

DVI, HDMI, or VGA

For now lets assume that the cost difference between them is not a factor, and through adapters all three are interchangeable for what I'm doing (setting up a conference room with a computer that will display through a 1024x768 projector). The computer has both DVI and VGA output so I can use either. HDMI/DVI adapters can be used if I run an HDMI cable.

So at the core, which is generally better for a 50' run?

Forum Regular
    They say that HDMI tops out at about 10 feet,so dvi should be the same.So that would leave vga,although i believe component would be best for that long a run if you can.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Dang, 10 feet? That kinda stinks for HDMI. But on the other hand I have a 35' run of DVI for my home projector which does 1080 with no problem so I might just do DVI.

Since DVI is digital and VGA is analog, would DVI be choice between those two?

nightflier
    According to spec, HDMI cables have a distance limitation of 5m, because impedance increases as distance increases (see: http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/dec0...cell/hdmi.htm). Of course you need a quality cable to go that distance at all - many of the generic cables out there just won't get to 5m without noticeable drop-outs.

A repeater is your only option to go beyond that, although it does amplify distortion as well. If you're not going higher that 1080i resolution (pretty much everything except Blu-Ray & HD-DVD), then you could run component cables, instead. Converting the HDMI to fiber optic is your other solution, although the converters don't come cheap. There are a few other solutions suggested in the article I referenced above as well.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Dang, 10 feet? That kinda stinks for HDMI. But on the other hand I have a 35' run of DVI for my home projector which does 1080 with no problem so I might just do DVI.

Since DVI is digital and VGA is analog, would DVI be choice between those two?
    Funny you would think DVI and HDMI would be similar.I think i would go VGA or component if you can,i think it would be best.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Well by saying DVI and HDMI are similar I meant just because you can interchange them with zero loss. I know the cables themselves are totally different.

I guess I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, but component video is not an option. This is for a computer which has both VGA and DVI outputs, so it has to be one of those or HDMI via DVI/HDMI cables. The maximum resolution it will run is 1024x768 so I'm not looking to do high definition over this cable run.

Forum Regular
    I understand the outputs but does the video card have a s video output,if so there is a s video to component adapter available that might work for that resolution.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

nightflier
    Well the DVI spec is about the same: 5 meters. I'm actually having a similar problem because I have my TV a bit far from my system rack. One solution I came up, albeit not as neat looking, is to run my conduit diagonally across the ceiling. I haven't installed it yet, but if I don't I would be at about 20 feet, whereas diagonally I would get it to about 16 feet, which is close enough to 5 meters, I'm hoping.

You mentioned VGA at 1024x768. Now that's an entirely more plausible alternative. I've run VGA cable for 50 feet, being sent with a solid repeater without any degradation. We even transmit that further to another 200' wirelessly without much noticeable degradation, but that's for computer monitors which are typically smaller than your average TV. But using just your video card and a good quality cable, you can easily reach 25-30 feet without any degradation. The other advantage with VGA is that the cables and equipment will be a lot less expensive, even if you do need to add a repeater.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Well the DVI spec is about the same: 5 meters. I'm actually having a similar problem because I have my TV a bit far from my system rack. One solution I came up, albeit not as neat looking, is to run my conduit diagonally across the ceiling. I haven't installed it yet, but if I don't I would be at about 20 feet, whereas diagonally I would get it to about 16 feet, which is close enough to 5 meters, I'm hoping.

You mentioned VGA at 1024x768. Now that's an entirely more plausible alternative. I've run VGA cable for 50 feet, being sent with a solid repeater without any degradation. We even transmit that further to another 200' wirelessly without much noticeable degradation, but that's for computer monitors which are typically smaller than your average TV. But using just your video card and a good quality cable, you can easily reach 25-30 feet without any degradation. The other advantage with VGA is that the cables and equipment will be a lot less expensive, even if you do need to add a repeater.

Nightflier is right, VGA is the way to go.
    I am currently hooked up to my video card with a 24ft VGA cable with no problems whatsoever and no repeaters, so that is two positive experiences for VGA for ya
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Wow I'm really surprised that VGA would be better on long runs than HDMI or DVI (but that's why I asked...I don't know!), and that's fine because as was mentioned VGA cables are darn cheap. Another good thing about VGA is that the projector we're using has 2 VGA inputs and since they are so cheap I can run another VGA to a different location so we can connect in from there if we need to as well.

Thread Information