AR Newbie Registered Member

Audiotrak 5.1-7.1 preamp?

Hi, Newbie here. Does anyone here use a Audiotrak AT-7100P - A/V PRE-AMP TUNER 5.1-7.1 24 BIT/96K BAL OUT. Good/Bad? I could only find the specs at the man. and a price from a distributor for $603.44. That doesn't mean anything. I've seen plenty of high priced junk before. Thanks, Mike

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    It looks like an outdated pre-pro to me. No Dts-HD Master audio, no Dolby TruHD, just the legacy codecs, no HDMI. I would give this a major pass. Even at $603 bucks it is not worth the money. You can do better with a entry level Sony, Onkyo, or any other first tier brand name.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    It looks like an outdated pre-pro to me. No Dts-HD Master audio, no Dolby TruHD, just the legacy codecs, no HDMI. I would give this a major pass. Even at $603 bucks it is not worth the money. You can do better with a entry level Sony, Onkyo, or any other first tier brand name.
    Yes.

Audiotrak? Who's that? At $6 bills you can probably get ahold of an old Proceed or Lexicon that, while also not having HDMI, will give you some tried and true DACs.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I picked the unit up at a sale. I don't intend on using it. I was looking for someone who would know anything about the model or even the brand and what it may be worth. The sight I found it on looks like a site that sells to professional installers. At $600 new it has to be worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Creel
    I picked the unit up at a sale. I don't intend on using it. I was looking for someone who would know anything about the model or even the brand and what it may be worth. The sight I found it on looks like a site that sells to professional installers. At $600 new it has to be worth something.
    Here is the problem I see, and what makes me think it's not worth much.

The legacy audio codecs are basically unused on the Blu ray format, and the dominate audio codecs are now Dts-HD master audio, and Dolby TruHD, and any processor that does not have these decoding systems lose a lot of value and usefulness.

Secondly, the whole world is moving to HDMI(with the exception of the audio only guys), and without any HDMI connections, it loses more of its value because in just a few years analog connects in the Blu ray format will sunset(go away). It is already getting harder and harder to find Blu ray players with analog connection, and the only ones that do have it are the most expensive players. It is going to be harder and harder to find some usefulness out of this processor going forward.

Just my opinion though.....
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    That is correct. There are many high end processors such as the ones Bobsticks mentioned that have dropped significantly in value due to inputs and decoding not being current. With that and a name not familiar it will be a tough sell. Sorry, to say, but don't shoot the messenger.

Cool

Here is the problem I see, and what makes me think it's not worth much.

The legacy audio codecs are basically unused on the Blu ray format, and the dominate audio codecs are now Dts-HD master audio, and Dolby TruHD, and any processor that does not have these decoding systems lose a lot of value and usefulness.

Secondly, the whole world is moving to HDMI(with the exception of the audio only guys), and without any HDMI connections, it loses more of its value because in just a few years analog connects in the Blu ray format will sunset(go away). It is already getting harder and harder to find Blu ray players with analog connection, and the only ones that do have it are the most expensive players. It is going to be harder and harder to find some usefulness out of this processor going forward.

Just my opinion though.....
    The "legacy" audio codecs are on BLU discs, even have more range than on a DVD,
    but are inferior to the new lossless codecs available, and I mean way inferior.
    HAD A DEALER, who had access to some of the stuff offered to "custom" installers
    (cables, etc). Some of its pretty good, some name brand but re-badged.
    BUT IN THIS CASE talkys right, you can get a cheap receiver with the new codecs
    and sometimes even HDMI switching for hundreds less.
    NOW, there is a bunch of older parts out there, entire chassis, even, looks like someone
    is selling it to "installers", who will "get rid of it" by installing it in the houses of people
    who don't know any better.
    HENCE the megabuck "custom" install that can't even handle the latest codecs.
    A certain audio columnist talked about such an "installation", cost thousands, and the
    installer ran the out from the SAT receiver channel 3 to the mega-buck monitor!
    THE WORST WAY TO DO IT.
    Buyer beware, basically.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    HAD A DEALER, who had access to some of the stuff offered to "custom" installers
    (cables, etc). Some of its pretty good, some name brand but re-badged.
    BUT IN THIS CASE talkys right, you can get a cheap receiver with the new codecs
    and sometimes even HDMI switching for hundreds less.
    NOW, there is a bunch of older parts out there, entire chassis, even, looks like someone
    is selling it to "installers", who will "get rid of it" by installing it in the houses of people
    who don't know any better.
    HENCE the megabuck "custom" install that can't even handle the latest codecs.
    A certain audio columnist talked about such an "installation", cost thousands, and the
    installer ran the out from the SAT receiver channel 3 to the mega-buck monitor!
    THE WORST WAY TO DO IT.
    Buyer beware, basically.
    Pix, I own very close to 1,000 Blu ray disc. Less than 1% of those disc have used the legacy codecs as the primary carrier of the audio, and they mostly came from early Warner releases. I have not seen a release in at last two years that used the legacy stream as the primary soundtrack. Dts HD Master audio is the primary lossless codec in use now. Before that TruHD and PCM where the main ones used. The few titles that used DD, used it at 640kbps, which is barely better than 448kbps that DVD used.

Now if we were talking about HD-DVD, it would be a different story. DD+ was used on 95% of the releases on that format. Only a few used the lossless codecs because of bandwidth issues on the format.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Pix, I own very close to 1,000 Blu ray disc. Less than 1% of those disc have used the legacy codecs as the primary carrier of the audio, and they mostly came from early Warner releases. I have not seen a release in at last two years that used the legacy stream as the primary soundtrack. Dts HD Master audio is the primary lossless codec in use now. Before that TruHD and PCM where the main ones used. The few titles that used DD, used it at 640kbps, which is barely better than 448kbps that DVD used.

Now if we were talking about HD-DVD, it would be a different story. DD+ was used on 95% of the releases on that format. Only a few used the lossless codecs because of bandwidth issues on the format.

Not as the primary audio carrier, but as a back-up for those who don't yet have the
    gear for decoding the new formats. THEY ARE THERE AS A BACKUP, go back and read my post before you comment next time.
    I used these backup tracks a few times until I rewire my then obsolete Integra for 7.1
    LPCM through analog channels, they aint half bad, but can't compete with the main channels , of course.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

By the way, OP, my granddaddy was a country preacher, and a heckuva
    salesman, he said that whenever inventory got high, they would double the price
    of everything and put it on the sidewalk, have a sidewalk sale.
    Everything would disappear in a hurry.
    There is still a lot of obsolete gear out there, some might be quality stuff, but if you can find a BLU play with 7.1 analog outs(I would hurry, they are disapearing fast), and your receiver has
    inputs for analog 7.1(or even 5.1) you can probably still use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    What is "legacy"? I think Pix is talking about the core for Dolby Digital and I forgot what DTS called their backward compatible content.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    What is "legacy"? I think Pix is talking about the core for Dolby Digital and I forgot what DTS called their backward compatible content.
    Should be easy to figure out that I am talking about codecs that will allow playback
    on obsolete gear, making BLU more marketable.
    I ALWAYS REFER to older stuff as "legacy", as do others.
    Pedal faster, you're getting behind, MR Pee Pee.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The legacy codecs are Dolby Digital and Dts.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Not as the primary audio carrier, but as a back-up for those who don't yet have the
    gear for decoding the new formats. THEY ARE THERE AS A BACKUP, go back and read my post before you comment next time.

Do you see the word "backup" anywhere here? No stupid, because that is not what you said.

I used these backup tracks a few times until I rewire my then obsolete Integra for 7.1
    LPCM through analog channels, they aint half bad, but can't compete with the main channels , of course.
    There are no backup tracks used on the Blu ray format. You are using the "core" minus extensions stream from the Dts HD Master Audio. That is not a back up track, that is the main track minus the extension. Dolby Digital IS a back up track, but it is no longer used on the Blu ray format.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp