Forum Regular

Question Yamaha RX-V665/ (1) HDMI from TV to AVR sounds good???

Any issues connecting this Yamaha RX-V665 to a 6.1 speaker setup by only running one HDMI from the Display to the receiver???

Hello...
    You've no doubt heard this expression, "How long do you want to keep beating a dead dog?"

Believe me, this dawg loves my Golden retriever to death, and I would never harm him in any way, but guys, seriously? I am so sorry for being completely dense on this, but over the last six months, I have received tons of misinformation on how to hook up the Display to AVR, primarily from audio salesmen, and other Forums, I'm just plain dizzy. I don't want to make any mistakes. At first, I wanted to have a choice on listening to either the TV speakers, or the AVR speakers, but what was I thinking...I should just use the AVR and 3.1 for broadcast and the 6.1 for movies. Otherwise, I would have to either run separate HDMI cables from TV (in wall) to each component and optical from TW-DVR to AVR…right?

I've waited awhile for the right receiver, and here are a few features: that
    Fully compatible with HD audio and video,
    HD audio decoding, HDMI (4 in/ 1 out),
    1080p video upscaling. Pure Direct,
    YPAO, Cinema DSP 3D and custom installation features,
    HDMI Pass-through,
    HDMI Up Conversion (with upscaling up to 1080p).

Originally, I was going to get the Onkyo 606 or 706, or maybe even a Sony HTiab (gasp) but decided on this Yamaha 7.2 RX-V665 AVR, and a HSU Sound research 6.1 speaker.

I have a HDTV Display mounted on the wall with one HDMI cable presently connected to my Time-Warner-DVR STB, soon to be connected to the Yamaha RX-v665,along with a 6.1 speaker setup. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html

It's not hooked up yet, because I'm going round and round trying to figure out the best way to do this with less cabling in the walls. Besides, I would have to take the TV back down to connect any additional cables in it and that would be a BIG hassle.
    Now, with this receiver, I'm thinking all I have to do is keep the one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and then all the other components into the AVR. In doing this, will I still get 6.1 from the display via the receiver?

I was told this…

"Put simply, if you run an HDMI from your display to the receiver you will only get 2.1 audio (some sort of restriction due to copyright laws) IS THIS TRUE?
    "You must pass all audio through the receiver first in order to get all the audio formats in proper 7.1."

"If you want to sometimes just have the display on without the receiver you can run a separate optical cable for audio and a component video feed directly to the display from the cable box/sat receiver." I’d rather not.

I kind of wanted to have a choice on either listening to the TV speakers for just watching regular broadcast, or the AVR, but this seems like a lot more of a hassle to do this.

HERE IS THE YAMAHA RX-V665 RECEIVER –
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...7&CTID=5000300 &RLTID=1504&DETYP=RELATION

In looking at the specs, would I just be able to hook it up with my original idea...one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and everything else into the AVR? -

What else do I need to do to get all the Audio/Video features from the AVR and the Display to play through all the 6.1 speakers? Anything at all, or am I good to go? Currently, I think there a few 5.1 Dolby programming channels on TV, and the 6th rear-center speaker matrixes along with the rear-right and rear left speaker.

Thanks a bunch! And Don't HATE me because I'm electronically challenged.

Suspended
    From what I understand it is true that HDMI audio from the TV is only 2.0.

You'll have to run all sources into the Yamaha and then one HDMI into your TV. To watch TV by itself you will have to run separate connections to the TV.

Even if the TV could output 5.1 or better then the sources would have to be connected to the TV which would present about as large a problem as the other direction. You want your signals flowing in one direction. If you have HD channels on your satelite/cable box they will be in 5.1, the movie channels sound pretty good.

I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear but we all have the spider web of wiring, welcome to the club.

Suspended
    Depending on where everything is sitting to limit wiring through the wall there are such things as auto switchers for HDMI. You could run all sources to the switcher, the switcher could possibly be located in a convenient area then only one cable to receiver then another from receiver to TV. This wouldn't help if you still have analog sources and it still wouldn't prevent having to run a second connection for TV when viewing without the receiver. But I thought I might throw it out in case the real issue was running wiring through the wall.

Forum Regular
    Hi, I'm sorry about the "beating a dead dog" line, As a dog owner, I really meant to say horse, not dog, and not that I have anything against horses, either. I can't go back and re-edit the post.

Thanks Mr. Peabody, That sounds "sound" enough. I want to share what a few others have told me about my config.

I know this way, I would not be able to have a choice on listening to either the TV or the AVR? I thought this Yamaha 665 can do it all,meaning turning it on standby,or on,then I would have that choisce, with a basic config like this. Not using any tos digital audio. I read that people are running TOS digital out from Cable box to Receiver...do I have to? I was told NO.

1) One HDMI from Display (TV on wall) into receiver. (hdmi)
    2) Time-warner DVR into the receiver. (hdmi)
    3) Sony Bluray into receiver. (hdmi)
    4) Progressive scan DC/DVD player.into reciever. (component)
    5) The VCR using those composite cables ..I haven't thought about it for sure using the VCR.

I asked, "Any issues connecting this Yamaha RX-V665 to a 6.1 speaker setup by only running one HDMI from the Display to the receiver???" The HDTV had One HDMI in-wall rated cable in the wall,the TV is mounted already.

answer-
    There shouldn't be any problem with this.
    No need to complicate matters. Because you have the latest in receiver technology, Yamaha RX-V665, you need not run any more cables to the back of the TV other than the HDMI that's already there in the wall. The Yamaha, when properly set up will pass audio to the TV via its HDMI output, and still utilize any audio bitsteam for the surround system. (See page 54 where you choose "AMP+TV" for the HDMI audio configuration.) In order to use the TV speakers only, you will have to power up the Yamaha (otherwise the HDMI output would be dead), but at that point you would mute the receiver and turn up the TV's speakers.

I asked, "Now, with this receiver, I'm thinking all I have to do is keep the one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and then all the other components into the AVR. In doing this, will I still get 6.1 from the display via the receiver?"

answer - You're not getting anything from the display; you're only sending video and stereo audio to the display. Otherwise, the answer to your question is yes!

I was told this…
    "Put simply, if you run an HDMI from your display to the receiver you will only get 2.1 audio (some sort of restriction due to copyright laws) IS THIS TRUE?

answer -
    Horsepucky. First of all, the wording implies that there's an HDMI output on the TV, which there most certainly is not. Yes the TV and all the other HDMI devices in your system must be HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) compliant, which they are. But it isn't the TV that deals with the surround sound.

"You must pass all audio through the receiver first in order to get all the audio formats in proper 7.1."

answer -True.

"If you want to sometimes just have the display on without the receiver you can run a separate optical cable for audio and a component video feed directly to the display from the cable box/sat receiver."

asked - "In looking at the specs, would I just be able to hook it up with my original idea...one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and everything else into the AVR?"

answer -Yes.

"Currently, I think there a few 5.1 Dolby programming channels on TV, and the 6th rear-center speaker matrixes along with the rear-right and rear left speaker."

answer - The HDMI from the cable box will be hooked into the Yamaha and once that particular input is selected, the Yamaha will process any and all digital surround signals available on the cable channels.

"Variety is the spice of life."

Here is a possible solution. Mr. P, let me know if you think this will work.

HDMI from cable box to AVR. Then HDMI from AVR to TV.
    Also,
    Component cables and toshlink from cable box to TV.

You'll need to switch the input source on the TV when you don't want to have surround.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Your stated set up is correct.

*cable box to Yamaha via HDMI
    * Blu-ray to Yamaha via HDMI
    *DVD to Yamaha via component, if not HDMI compatible
    *VCR to Yamaha via whatever the best video offered is, hopefully component

THEN from Yamaha HDMI "OUTPUT" into the wall HDMI "INPUT" which will feed it to the TV's HDMI "INPUT".

With this set up you'd have to have the receiver on in order to get sound so you might as well just use the receiver and speakers. I'm not sure if any component will pass audio while only in "stand by". That would be nice though.

It looks like every one was pretty much on the same page. It just sounded to me at first you might be trying to run the signal, or a signal, from the TV to the Yamaha. Even though components communicate via HDMI it is still just a ONE WAY connection, output to input.

Suspended
    GM, that would work but if I understand what he is asking, he wants to avoid running additional cables. He only has one HDMI going through the wall to the TV. Rivrbyte if this isn't correct let me know.

Could he leave the receiver on with the volume down? (just using the HDMI cables, box to AVR to TV)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Sure, but if the receiver is on you might as well listen to it I'd say.

Forum Regular
    Thanks GM and Mr. Peabody,

Yes, Mr. Peabody I presume.....

Yes, I have only one HDMI in the wall from the TV Display-Out to the receiver-IN, then everything else into the receiver.
    On the VCR, the only reason why I would use it,is because I haven't had the time to use the Pinnacle or VSH to DVD software to burn onto DVD's. I'm still looking into what's best. That VCR connection is composite,not component. Darn.

I guess if this all the time receiver on bizniz gets to be too much, then I'll remove the TV and connect the Component and TOS optical as you said. Thanks guys! I do appreciate it......:-)

Forum Regular
    Hi all!
    I got everything hooked up. Yamaha 7.2 RX-V665, Time-Warner DVR, Samsung HDTV, Speakers are HSU 6.1 Performance 2, and everything sounds good so far.
    I do have a question about the way everything powers on.

I programmed all three remotes together, but when I turn on the system, I first power on the TW-Cable, then Power on the Yamaha and press HDMI 2 on the Yamaha remote which is actually the DVR, which I programmed the text) Then I turn on the Samsung HDTV Power on the remote.
    I notice the Yamaha AVR powers up, and shows “DVR” when I press the HDMI-2, then it automatically switches back to AV1. Then I have to re-press the HDMI-2 again. Why does this do this? Anyone knows?
    I know it’s not the end of the world, but the less buttons to push, the better.

Normally I listen to the “Dolby Digital” mode when viewing normal TV Broadcasts, and it comes out of all the 6.1 speakers, and I know I need to look over the manual as far as how many different “SURROUND MODES” are when viewing a Blu-Ray. But it seems I’m missing a few modes and might have to go back into the set up for the speakers. During the Blu-Ray playback, the sound does sound good, but maybe needs to be fuller. I have a SonyBD350… Do I have to set up the surround modes or anything on the Sony BD like the Samsung Blu-Ray player?
    I have done the speaker config. setup, and it all sounds balanced.

Suspended
    I can't remember the features on your receiver but if they have the HD audio decoders built in just set your Blu-ray player to "bitstream" and forget about it. This will send the signal to your receiver and let it do the decoding and therefore all settings will apply.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Rivrbyte,

"I notice the Yamaha AVR powers up, and shows “DVR” when I press the HDMI-2, then it automatically switches back to AV1."

I am so glad you have pointed this out.

I have my HD Television, and Direct TV satellite box hooked in the following order.......to my Yamaha HTR 6250 with pass through switched on. I took the Direct TV HDMI output and connected it to the HDMI Input 1 of my HTR 6250. I then took the HDMI output and connect it to my HD Television.

With the pass through function set on, after I am done watching an evening movie, I enjoy the fact I just put the HTR in standby mode and engaged the HDMI pass through and watch some news or other programs prior to bed. I shut the system off and head to bed.

The next morning I switch the Television and Direct TV on and I catch the HTR 6250 switch the input to AV-1! This just blows my mind! I contacted Yamaha to see if a firmware update could be made to correct this. I can not understand why have a pass through function and switch it to AV-1?. The AV-1 does not even pass through anything at all.

The pass through beauty in my opinion is that the HTR maintains on screen display connection to the television, mutes the television when you want the HTR to do its job and at the touch of one button you can shut the HTR down and she returns the control of the television audio back to the television. I hope this make sense. .

I wonder if a few calls by Yamaha owners would convince them of doing one thing and that is to shut the "default to AV-1 at start up" with pass through engaged and leave it at the last engaged HDMI input would be fair.

Thank you
    Rick

Suspended
    If that Yamaha does what I think you are saying, let's you watch TV with the receiver off, that's a dandy feature.

Yamaha RX-V665

I was having the same problem with my Yamaha RX-V665 receiver. In order for your receiver not to default to Av-1 you must turn off the HDMI control off.

1) Go to set-up
    2) Function
    3) HDMI control, be sure to turn it off.

Hope this help, I had this problem for a few weeks and it was driving me crazy

Brother Jaz72! You are right on the mark!!! Oh man I owe you a drink! It has been a year and now I have it working the way I wanted it. My wife was just as happy! If you are in the Atlanta area chime in!

hi guys i'm new to the forum and basically had the same problem Originally I went w/ HDMI both ways but could not listen to tunes and watch silent tv at the same time . using the optical for audio allows to do this. Now I have a new problem,I wanted to go to seperate 2-channel power amp and speakers. Yamaha said no problem just use the pre-outs on the 665.Well after almost blowing the roof off I called Yamaha and know they said your power amp needs vol control .I of got an ADCOM GFA-555 2oow/c now with an onkyo pre- amp and all is well in both 2ch and h/t land . thanks for the chance lewdworet

Thread Information