Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    So DD or DTS in a movie,is that a novelty? Just ask'n.
    My take on the original question was for running a two channel source. For a multi-channel source I would recommend using whatever scheme was used for the original recording. i.s, a two channel source, foro me, should be played back in two channel stereo, a recording done in DD, DTS, MCSACD or MCDVA-Audio formats would be played back in the MC format in which ot was recorded.

Note this applies to music only. DPLII cinema does wonders with a two channel Dolby Surround movie.

IMNSHO, playing a two channel recording in a multi-channel emulation might be entertainiing for a while but, after a short while, the novelty of that experience wears off.

Okay, I used pure stereo mode briefly and the rear channels don't work either. So in this mode just the fronts have sound.
    Perhapssome people aren't grasping the benefits of multi-channel stereo. Forget the multi-channel concept. What I'm advocating is multiple speakers strategicly placed playing 2 channel stereo. When speakers are places to the side as well as front what you basically have is a very wide left and right beam. This gives a 180 degree soundstage, not traditional as already pointed out.The result is an almost concert like experience. Whereas using just 2 speakers is un-mistakenly a stereo.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    I've gone back and forth with 2ch and then the rest. I really liked 5ch but now that i have PL2 i like it better for cd's. Maybe my age but its just doesnt sound very full with just the mains . I will say i do perfer the Beatles in just 2ch.
    Look & Listen

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    The result is an almost concert like experience. Whereas using just 2 speakers is un-mistakenly a stereo.
    I have never been to a concert where the speakers were not on the stage (or hanging above) and in front of me. I also would not want my stereo to sound like most of the concerts I have been too. What venues have you been to that have surround or rear speakers?

ELP in long beach had the same front speakers in the corners in the rear.
    Look & Listen

In live venues, sound reflects from the walls and creates a natural ambience. In fact, many dedicated concert halls were designed primarily to enhance enveloping sound. Many people have recorded in specific venues, like cathedrals and churches--hence, the profusion of DSPs trying to synthesize something like that sound. I myself sound my best in my own shower, which has great analog reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I have never been to a concert where the speakers were not on the stage (or hanging above) and in front of me. I also would not want my stereo to sound like most of the concerts I have been too. What venues have you been to that have surround or rear speakers?
    Have you been to Madison Square Garden, or Nassau Coliseum? Or Saratoga Performing Arts, or almost any concert hall or garden? I have yet to ever go to a concert that did not have additional speakers around the room or field.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    I myself sound my best in my own shower, which has great analog reverb.
    You know, I really could've gone without that mental picture this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Have you been to Madison Square Garden, or Nassau Coliseum? Or Saratoga Performing Arts, or almost any concert hall or garden? I have yet to ever go to a concert that did not have additional speakers around the room or field.
    Is this really the type of sound you want in your home?

There's a difference between mult-speaker sound reinforcement to fill a venue (ususally with time delays) with sound and a multi-channel recording.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Is this really the type of sound you want in your home?

There's a difference between mult-speaker sound reinforcement to fill a venue (ususally with time delays) with sound and a multi-channel recording.
    Not necessarily. But the idea that all real music comes from only the front just doesn't ring true for me. People can prefer it. But it's no more real than surround. The way it was recorded is what's real. If it was recorded in 2 channel then 2 it is. If it was recorded in 5.1 then that's the way I like it.
    I've tried the DSP's and don't really like them much. 7 channel stereo is OK if I need more volume (when I'm not in the room) but I do have the center cut to 0%. I don't like the center for stereo.
    In the long run, I like pure direct the most for 2 channel. But this is in no way to be confused with how you would hear music at a real concert. More like how you would hear it at a recording studio.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I've only had one "live" multi-channel musical experience in my 57 years.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Not necessarily. But the idea that all real music comes from only the front just doesn't ring true for me. People can prefer it. But it's no more real than surround. The way it was recorded is what's real. If it was recorded in 2 channel then 2 it is. If it was recorded in 5.1 then that's the way I like it.
    I've tried the DSP's and don't really like them much. 7 channel stereo is OK if I need more volume (when I'm not in the room) but I do have the center cut to 0%. I don't like the center for stereo.
    In the long run, I like pure direct the most for 2 channel. But this is in no way to be confused with how you would hear music at a real concert. More like how you would hear it at a recording studio.
    It was when we saw Paul Winter's Winter Solstice program at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine around 1998 - 99 or so. For those who have never been there, it's a giant, dark, gothic monstrosity and the performance venue consists of a long, dark hall, and I fully expected to see and/or feel bats flying around overhead.

IThey had the stage set up towards the back of the long hall. In the beginning, Paul pealed off a few notes on thhis trumpet. From the balcony behind us, way up by the roof, they had more trumpets answering this call. Later in the concert, they had Mickey Hart, and many others, banging on drums and other percussion insturments being pulled on a cart from the rear of the hall (behind us ) up to the stage.

...and that's about the only time I've ever heard anythong except room ambiance from anywhere else except in front of me.

Should have been at that ELP concert in LB.
    Look & Listen

Should have been at that ELP concert in LB.
    Saw 'em at Seton Hall right before Tarkus came out. Maybe it was the timing or thevenue, but all the speakers at that concert were up front. I don't doubt they expanded overtime, though. Woulda been fun I'm sure.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Saw 'em at Seton Hall right before Tarkus came out. Maybe it was the timing or thevenue, but all the speakers at that concert were up front. I don't doubt they expanded overtime, though. Woulda been fun I'm sure.
    I guess that dates me too. I saw them at the Spectrum in Philly back in 78 or 79. Plenty of drums and keyboards, but all speakers up front on the stage.

Pretty sure it was 72 when i saw them.
    Look & Listen

So DD or DTS in a movie,is that a novelty? Just ask'n.
    And I'm just telling. I tried to make it pretty clear in my post when I said "I have found that all multi channel playback of 2 channel music sources to be a nice little diversion from time to time but in the end for me it's a novelty at best.".

Seriously, I don't know how to make it any clearer than that.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Dont get mad,as i said,i'm just ask'n. Seriously.
    Look & Listen

Dont get mad,as i said,i'm just ask'n. Seriously.
    Not mad, a bit frustrated at what appeared to be a nonsensical reply given a thread about multichannel music playback of 2 channel sources. How you came up with movies and DD and DTS will forever remain a mystery to me. No big deal regardless.

Time to head off to work, you have a great day.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information