Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 6.1 Upgrade

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by dph1965
    Don't scare me! I do live in a townhouse - thank goodness it is an end unit, so I push it when I know the neighbors aren't home. One of my favorites is the depth charge scenes in U-571. Thanks for the input!
    Agreed, totally. U-571 is about the best DTS workout you can get for a sub in a 5.1 system, short of the Haunting in DTS ES.

F1
    What's your take on Ascend vs. Paradigm? I've had Paradigms for years and love them - they just seem to be going "dull" after 6-7 years.
    Considering new Titans, new center CC-270 and Atoms as surrounds.
    What do you think about an all HTM Ascend system? Or would you go with the CB-170?
    If you generally like Paradigm the logical path is to upgrade to the Monitor series, or even the Studio series, and not getting the same Performance series. Good luck.

But I don't want to be logical!!!! JK That most likely to happen since they are the only ones I'm considering that I can actually audition......Did hear from someone that for the $$$, the Ventriliquist system is quite good.....
    Thanks for all your input!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Agreed, totally. U-571 is about the best DTS workout you can get for a sub in a 5.1 system, short of the Haunting in DTS ES.

Let's not leave out the D-Day scene on Saving Private Ryan. I've blown 20 amp breakers on that one. (not to mention setting off burgler alarms up and down the street!)
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Let's not leave out the D-Day scene on Saving Private Ryan. I've blown 20 amp breakers on that one. (not to mention setting off burgler alarms up and down the street!)
    You Know, Geoff, I have heard that Saving Private Ryan is a KILLER DTS demo disc, and I have yet to hear it.....I believe you. For now, Im remaining stunned by the sound on Universal's DTS version of U-571 and Dreamworks' The Haunting. I will demo Private Ryan when I can.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    You Know, Geoff, I have heard that Saving Private Ryan is a KILLER DTS demo disc, and I have yet to hear it.....I believe you. For now, Im remaining stunned by the sound on Universal's DTS version of U-571 and Dreamworks' The Haunting. I will demo Private Ryan when I can.
    Lex; SPR in DTS is certainly one of the best out there. My brother has it and I have watched it on occassion. I think one of the reasons SPR is good in both D.D. and D.T.S that S.S. had the sound mixed by his friend George at Skywalker Sound. I noticed Gary Rystrom's name in the credits. I do however have a criticism with the DTS version however; maybe it is me or I am seeing something that others have not noticed or at least to put it another way, the DTS version visually gives me some kind of brainstrain or eyestrain. There is something about the motion on this particular disc that gets to me. I have no trouble with the D.D. version of this film.

I rented U571 some time ago which does have stunning sound with those depth charges. I personally did not care for the movie though. I have the D.D. version of the HAUNTING. It sounds good. I have heard many others talk about the DTS version being a real demo dilly to listen too.

you mean Bon Jovi's performance....

wasn't stellar in your eyes? HEHEHE

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Lex; SPR in DTS is certainly one of the best out there. My brother has it and I have watched it on occassion. I think one of the reasons SPR is good in both D.D. and D.T.S that S.S. had the sound mixed by his friend George at Skywalker Sound. I noticed Gary Rystrom's name in the credits. I do however have a criticism with the DTS version however; maybe it is me or I am seeing something that others have not noticed or at least to put it another way, the DTS version visually gives me some kind of brainstrain or eyestrain. There is something about the motion on this particular disc that gets to me. I have no trouble with the D.D. version of this film.

I rented U571 some time ago which does have stunning sound with those depth charges. I personally did not care for the movie though. I have the D.D. version of the HAUNTING. It sounds good. I have heard many others talk about the DTS version being a real demo dilly to listen too.
    Kel,

Oh I loved U571 and own the Collectors Edition DVD; the DTS track is stunning-----EVERY creak of the sub creeps through each surround channel. And those depth charges....they made my sub pop more than once. Do yourself a favor and experience the DTS version of The Haunting....the film itself is pretty cheesy especially after watching it a few times and seeing just how bad the acting and story is, but the sound on this DVD....wow....the scenes where Hill House's doors are slamming closed are all sub-bass tremors that will rock your sub(s).

guess i better pick up the haunting....

mentioned more than once. Who was in that one? I remember when it came out, but the story did look a little lame.....

Resident DVD Reviewer
    mentioned more than once. Who was in that one? I remember when it came out, but the story did look a little lame.....
    Luke Wilson, Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta Jones, Lili Taylor.

Forum Regular
    Lex; You have the wrong "Wilson" on the film's cast. It was Owen Wilson, Luke's brother. I mean; who else would end up being beheaded in a movie. Owen of course.

Talking Speaking of the Wilson Bros....

Royal Tennenbaums is one of my favorite movies & for it to be a non-action film, the DD track is great in that movie.
    I almost pee myself laughing everytime I see Pagoda stab Royal and say "...you son-of-a-*****..." Not a bad soundtrack either....
    Guess this is turning into a movie post!!

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Lex; You have the wrong "Wilson" on the film's cast. It was Owen Wilson, Luke's brother. I mean; who else would end up being beheaded in a movie. Owen of course.
    Yes----you are totally right. You know why I said Luke? Wilson's character in the film was named Luke, so thats what I was thinking of! Good catch!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information