Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I consider B&W 700 series, Rotel, Rega, Magnepan (below 20.1) etc.. as midrange. Then comes High End... and then the real stuff
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Was that Feanor who said, "bite me"? What's in the water?

I think "mid level" will be where you start to achieve a certain level of sound. I know this would be subjective but I think it's more what you get than what you spend. I sort of base level of gear on level of refinement of sound reproduction. I feel "high end" is probably the broadest, or largest, group because you can reach "high end" sound without spending $200k. I mean there's a lot of room between $5 - $10k to infinity. You can begin to break into "high end" reproduction with the right purchases and synergy with $5 or $6k. Some may think you can find it cheaper. With that being said, I still believe more expensive gear can reach even higher levels of sound and be worth the expense if you have it. I hope this makes sense to some one besides me.
    Yep, it makes sense.... but keep in mind that the reason many of us (well me anyway lol) use a dollar range is that it is easiest to identify products we consider entry/mid/high by price category... There are always exceptions to price ranges... If Panasony (yes that's a real brand) produced a $1K CD player, I would not consider it mid-range (or even entry level) unless I auditioned it myself multiple times... A new Arcam, Rega or Marantz model at that price I'd be more likely to accept as being mid... based on their reputation for high quality CD players at that price point...

To use a criteria other than money, I consider entry level to be products that are competent to exceptional in some but not all areas of performance... for example, an entry level NAD amp may have a pretty good midrange with acceptable detail retrieval but less than stellar bass response and somewhat rolled off highs...

A mid level product should be competent in all areas (but doesn't need to be exceptional in any)... so a Mid level floorstanding speaker should provide acceptable treble mid and bass, but doesn't need to be the last word in dynamics, detail, soundstage or anything really...

High end should be products that are not only competent in all areas but also exceptional in some.... so if the same speaker in my mid level had competent bass combined with treble and mid that are near the best attainable, then it would be high end...

So as you said; you could probably match a set of components with the right synergy and get real high end sound... such as a bookshelf with good treble but weak bass and only acceptable mid with an amp that specializes in mid but has only ok treble and little bass + a really good subwoofer and a CD player that is excellent at detail retrieval.... by themselves none of those products might be above mid level, but combined they might give a legitimate high-end sound...
    Last edited by Ajani; 03-26-2008 at 05:57 AM.

A qualification

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    So as you said; you could probably match a set of components with the right synergy and get real high end sound... such as a bookshelf with good treble but weak bass and only acceptable mid with an amp that specializes in mid but has only ok treble and little bass + a really good subwoofer and a CD player that is excellent at detail retrieval.... by themselves none of those products might be above mid level, but combined they might give a legitimate high-end sound...
    You will never combine two "complementary" products and get better resolution than either the one or the other. That is, the sum is not greater than the parts when it comes to that attribute.

You may well get, say, a high freq. emphasis that suggests greater resolution, but on closer listening you will find that the sound is "etched" and that the instruments and voices lack air and separation.

Indeed, it's in the area of resolution that mid-level separates itself from entry-level, IMO.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    You will never combine two "complementary" products and get better resolution than either the one or the other. That is, the sum is not greater than the parts when it comes to that attribute.

You may well get, say, a high freq. emphasis that suggests greater resolution, but on closer listening you will find that the sound is "etched" and that the instruments and voices lack air and separation.

Indeed, it's in the area of resolution that mid-level separates itself from entry-level, IMO.
    Agreed, though If I'm understanding what you're saying then I wasn't refering to resolution... more balance (neutrality)... you can combine a relatively 'bright' set of speakers with a more laid back amp to get just the right highs... or you can even combine an ultra detailed speaker with a smooth sounding amp to produce a more enjoyable and less analytical setup....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information