Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Extending outputs

I am interested in the ps audio high current ultimate outlet. As you all know it only has two outputs. Would itg be possibly to use one output for my amp and connect a high quality surge strip to use use for mulitple low current componets from the one remaining output. Guess I am asking if I can connect a surge strip to increase the number of outputs.

you can, but I'd recommend you to use a high quality stip. Without filters, surges, ...

something like a Sun Leiste will do perfectly well...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

BM, those PS outlets list at $300, I'm just curious as to why you dont spend that money on a better CDP, speakers or sub? Of course, I'm asking this as a person who is very skeptical that a power outlet can make a dramatic difference in sound compared to a $75 surge supressor with an EFI/RF filter. You have a very nice system and it looks like it could benefit by upgrading your CDP instead of power conditioners.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Yes ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmoney
    I am interested in the ps audio high current ultimate outlet. As you all know it only has two outputs. Would itg be possibly to use one output for my amp and connect a high quality surge strip to use use for mulitple low current componets from the one remaining output. Guess I am asking if I can connect a surge strip to increase the number of outputs.
    You can use the Ultimate Outlet as you describe. I owned an earlier model UO and connected an extension to one of the outlets -- worked fine. I eventualy sold mine for reasons I allude to below.

As I recall, one of the UO's claims is that it is no-current limiting, hence it might be valuable for power amps.

The downside to the UO, especially for the money, is that you don't have any protection between the two or more components connected to it. There are plenty of decent surge protector/EMI-RFI filters that provide mutiple isolated outlets. The start at around $100, for example this Tripp Lite Isobar model, or my own Belkin PureAV PD60 that is available for around $300 and has many additional, useful features. They don't claim to be totally non-current limiting, but I've never had a problem.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    BM, those PS outlets list at $300, I'm just curious as to why you dont spend that money on a better CDP, speakers or sub? Of course, I'm asking this as a person who is very skeptical that a power outlet can make a dramatic difference in sound compared to a $75 surge supressor with an EFI/RF filter. You have a very nice system and it looks like it could benefit by upgrading your CDP instead of power conditioners.
    I'll 2nd that... IMO, a new CD/Speakers/Sub sounds like a better use of money....

I use a surge supressor with EMI/RF filter with 10 power outlets and 6000 joules of protection-cyberpower 1030HT. Paid $50 on ebay when they were selling for about$100. Now they can be found for $65-80.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I agree that a cdp will make a larger difference. However my surge strip is not instead of a cdp but rather in addition to it. Reason being, I am using a ten year old dusty generic power strip.

Forum Regular
    I assume it costed no more than 15 bucks or so. My amp is plugged directly into the wall. Therefore no surge protection. Say you had 200 dollars to spend on surge/ conditioning equipment what would you do. I would be willign to do up to 300 if the increase in money is justified. I thought the triplite proffessional aplications such as http://tripplite.com/products/produc...productID=2833 looked pretty good. No bells or whistles just protection, voltage regulation, and conditioning all for around 200. I am surprised you all discourage the UO, as it was stereophile product of the year. Also with great reviews.

I'm just a skeptic when it comes to power conditioners. I believe that they work but I dont think that spending $200-300 for one is a good use of money for something that may not give you any significant increase in sound quality and when there are alot of cheaper products that will do just as good a job. I'd rather spend the money on music or something else.

http://www.provantage.com/cyberpower...t~7CYPRO14.htm
    Last edited by blackraven; 03-22-2008 at 07:55 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I'm with you, B/R

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I'm just a skeptic when it comes to power conditioners. I believe that they work but I dont think that spending $200-300 for one is a good use of money for something that may not give you any significant increase in sound quality and when there are alot of cheaper products that will do just as good a job. I'd rather spend the money on music or something else.

http://www.provantage.com/cyberpower...t~7CYPRO14.htm
    That Provantage unit looks like great value to me.

I have never heard any difference from the use of filters, but I might be lucky by having a benign environment. But surge protection is a reasonable precaution on valuable equipment and so is EMI/RFI protection provided one doesn't spend a fortune.

In addition to the Belkin mentioned above, (which also has the advantage of sequential, delayed on/off switching), I use shield power cords on digital components including my music computer; in no case have I spent more than $60 on a power cord. And I use ferrite traps; these are useful protection only up to 0.5MHz but are very cheap.

To a person building a system on a limited budget, I recommend not spending a lot of money on power conditioning, power cords, or even cables and interconnects -- bottom line is they will not do as much for your system as basic component upgrades.

Forum Regular
    What beneift do the ferrit traps provide. How do you use them and can the really make a difference for under a dollar each!!! Definately intriguing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I've been using ferret traps for years. I haven't noticed any overall sonic disadvantages (in re: constrained upper frequencies) but there is a disconcerting snapping sound on occasion. I don't recommend any of the alloy models, go with stainless steel lest the input break the tines.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    Do they have advantages??

BM, If you had several thousand dollars invested in your system and money to burn I would say go for all the cables and power conditioners costing hundreds of dollars. But the cost benefit ratio of most of these things is low. I understand you wanting to tweak your system as best as possible but the best use of your money would be to upgrade your equipment like CDP, and speakers. You have a very good system especially with the Rotel equipment which is audiophile quality (i hate using that term). Even your speakers are very good but speakers are one area where spending more money will return the most benefit in sound in your sytem. Up grading your CDP will return the next most benefit.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Okay. I see where nobody disagrees. Speakers. I have come to the conclusion that the leasat controversial topic will provide the biggest improvement. Considering I have 1500 dollars worth of separates and only 600 worth of speakers, I think it may be time to upgrade the speakers. Many have said speakers should account for the majority of cost in your system. That being said I have a lot of catching up to do. Also, with better speakers I understand that tweas and other upgrades I make should be more apparent. I have concludded to order the cyberpower outlet strip, and look for a speaer upgrade on the used market. At what price point, new, should I look for to consider the purchase a worthwile upgrade. With my speakers being 600 new, I figure it makes sense to look for speaers costing atleast double that price MSRP. Any suggestions for speakers that would pair well with my rotel combo. I am kind of looking for a speaker that could be used without a subwoofer, so if good low frequency response can be achieved at my price point used it would definately incourage me to purchase the pair.

I think that you could use about $1500 and above where you will see some big improvement in speakers. One last thing, good speakers will reveal weakensses in your source material. Poor recordings will sound worse but good recordings will sound great. They will also reveal weaknesses in your CDP as well. If your happy with your speakers for now, upgrade your CDP. If your unhappy with your sound which it sounds like your are, then go for speakers. I would audition any speakers your considering buying.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    How about the epos floorstanders. There are several models, a few used on audiogon. Seem like pretty good speakers from what I have heard.

If you have the room, consider the Magnepan 1.6's. Or look for a used pair of PSB Synchrony Two's, Paradigm Studio 100's. I've never heard an Epos speaker, cant help you there.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Hey. Side tracking for a second. I am about to buy the cyberpower 1030ht reccomended to me. It has ten outlets. I only need 5. I am wondering if the outlates are isolated to prevent cross contamination between components. I know of the tripplite isobar ultra with 6 outlets for the same price that has isolated filter banks. Which would you go for?

Yes the individual outlets are isolated, it says so on the cyberpower web site. Both units will do the job. I like the extra outlets and the 6000 joule protection along with a life time warranty.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

In my opinion a powerline filter will provide more benefit than a surge suppressor in terms of audio quality.

I'm a little surprised at the almost universal belief that quality audio gear can't survive the voltages present in a standard wall socket. MOV types of surge protectors actually generate noise, the MOV devices themselves look a lot like ceramic capacitors except possibly bigger.

My main amp is plugged directly to the wall, my Levinson DAC is on a filter, not to keep noise from getting in, but rather to prevents it's digital circuits from feeding noise into my other gear.

I'm curious what you end up with, how about a quick report on any sound quality changes when you're done?
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Cool

I have one of those triangular monster power strips that I got on sale for a 100 bucks,
    works fine.
    A lot waste money on "conditioners", etc when a service call by an electrician would
    do a LOT more good.
    He could check your ground, your wiring, see if your HT room has a dedicated circuit,
    etc, and quote a price on a dedicated switchbox.
    A lot buy expensive power supplies like strips, conditioners, etc when their basic electrics are crud, and its kinda like putting a racing engine in a lawn tractor
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Wait until you have a lightening strike and it wipes out thousands of dollars of equipment. My neighbor had that happen to him 2 years ago.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Those power strips with "transient" protection would not have helped in a near lightning strike scenario. Many commercial boxes would also succumb, it is all but impossible to predict the energy released by a near miss. A direct hit; forget it, count your blessings if your home doesn't burn down.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    etc when a service call by an electrician would
    do a LOT more good.
    He could check your ground, your wiring, see if your HT room has a dedicated circuit,
    etc, and quote a price on a dedicated switchbox.
    A lot buy expensive power supplies like strips, conditioners, etc when their basic electrics are crud, and its kinda like putting a racing engine in a lawn tractor

of course, you could do that yourself too, and then save the money spent on the electrician...
    all it takes is a cheap multimeter...

I've heard lot's of good things from these too:

http://www.jenving.se/
    their mains blocks aren't too expensive...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation