Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Where are all the audiophiles?

This is more an observations than question. I've noticed that most, if not all of the regulars here post with "audio enthusiast" under their moniker instead of "audiophile". We've discussed this at length before and I have no desire to revisit it, I just found it interesting. I consider myself an enthusiast and know very well that there are many, many here with far more knowledge than I (which is why I come here). These are people I'd consider audiophiles. Maybe not?

Main Entry: au·dio·phile
    Pronunciation: 'o-dE-O-"fIl
    Function: noun
    Date: 1951
    : a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction.

Go figure.

I picked "audio enthusiast" because I didn't think audiophiles could ever be content with their system, and sometimes I listen in more than a casual manner.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

JSE
    I think it's the "Toot Your Own Horn" thing. Not many people are willing to label themselves an audiophile. Although, as you said, many are. Hell, I had a hard time picking "Audio Enthusiast" for myself.

JSE

Forum Regular
    I am an audiophile, and proud to be one!

JSE
    Bturk667,

Ya big tooter! :>)

[QUOTE=topspeed]Where are all the audiophiles?QUOTE]

At sites like

DIY audio

Audio Circle

Audio Asylum

Audio Heritage

and my favorite...

AudioKarma

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Bturk667,

Ya big tooter! :>)
    Your point being?

JSE
    Who knows?

Is it Friday yet?

JSE

Forum Regular Mwalsdor_cscc_edu's Avatar

Check my profile

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    This is more an observations than question. I've noticed that most, if not all of the regulars here post with "audio enthusiast" under their moniker instead of "audiophile". We've discussed this at length before and I have no desire to revisit it, I just found it interesting. I consider myself an enthusiast and know very well that there are many, many here with far more knowledge than I (which is why I come here). These are people I'd consider audiophiles. Maybe not?

Why does it matter if you have no desire to revisit it? -Bruce

3db
    Forum Regular

Talking Sssh I can't hear what you said.. I'm listening right

at the moment !!

Just kidding. I do not take this hobby serious enough nor do I know enough to even consider myself an audiophile, audiopile, etc. I also some very strong opinions about speaker cables and their inability to improve the over all sound. That alone may punt me out of the audiophile camp. I'd rather be an audioenthusiast and be happy with my system.

Interesting responses guys

Thanks for the input. I have to agree that for gear geeks, they will never be satisfied. Oh well, it's there money and they can do whatever they want with it. I also agree that most here are pretty laid back and "tooting their own horn" wouldn't fit their personality. BTW, JSE whenever I see Cartman I just laugh brother

I would consider an audiophile to be somebody who takes home sound reproduction as a fairly serious hobby. They probably have a lot of money tied up in equipment and source material. And further, they are likely constantly looking for tweaks and improvements to the sound of their systems. In other words, fine tuning the sound is an ongoing and possibly never ending process.

And finally, I believe Audiophile City is the birthplace of most of the more far out tweaks like putting your CD in the freezer or lifting your cables off of the floor in the quest for audio nirvana.

I think the part where audiophiles get flak from guys like me is when they try to give a technical explanation for something like putting green marker on the CD improves the laser aiming (and the sound of course) or some other such nonsense.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Forum Regular

reserved status

The fact that we are here probably makes all of us audiophiles by definition but I hesitate to call myself one as I don't have the technical knowledge of many who are here. I have many years of listening experience but reserve the audiophile title for those who can tell me how to build an amplifier, etc. Might not be correct but it's the way that I look at it.
    Bill

Green marker???

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Mike
    I believe Audiophile City is the birthplace of most of the more far out tweaks like putting your CD in the freezer or lifting your cables off of the floor in the quest for audio nirvana.

I think the part where audiophiles get flak from guys like me is when they try to give a technical explanation for something like putting green marker on the CD improves the laser aiming (and the sound of course) or some other such nonsense.
    Audiophile City? Is that another forum? I consider "tweaks" to be changing out caps for larger ones or replacing power supplies but freezing cd's?! I 'spose lifting the cable off the ground is to decouple it off the ground? Man, I've never even heard of this stuff...and I'm glad.

Suspended

I noticed that as well

From the way most write here, I don't think it's because of humility. I think most aren't willing to label themselves as "audiophile" because they are afraid of making themselves a target for the audiophile bashers. Or for the audio challenged.

I loved music and audio as far back as childhood. I remember my plastic case record player and going to yardsales just to look for albums. I remember having my Realistic receiver and big 12" 3-way, no name, speakers and thinking it was the stuff. BUT, I was always willing to learn, be open minded and see things for myself. What irritates me is guys that are at that point now getting on hear and talking crap. Just one example, a decent cable is no better than wire you buy at Home Depo. If you have done a comparison and you didn't hear the difference conveying your experience is one thing, but just bashing because you can't have it or your friend said it, so you will spread it, is a waste. Those with experience know you are talking crap, but those who don't and are looking for sincere help can be mis-informed and definitely confused by the conflicting info. Hopefully someone in that case will do some research for themselves.

Also It seems people tend to elevate audiophile for some reason. There's no degree or qualification that you have to be published. Many people stereotype audiophiles. Audiophile is a way of life or how you treat audio as your hobby. Audiophiles have difference of opinions, tastes and equipment. Like anyone else who has walked different paths, we will have different experiences, ways we do things and views on audio. I considered myself an audiophile way back when I had lower end gear. I realized I didn't have the best and most likely never will, but I appreciated the music reproduction I had at the time. I always would rather listen to music than watch TV. Most of my extra money went toward new music or saving up for an upgrade. Hopefully not all audiophiles are on this merry-go-round upgrade adiction like we are portrayed. But if I never improved on my system, I'd still be listening to that plastic record player.

Ive always thought an audio enthusiast was someone that listened to and enjoyed music.And an audiophile was someone that listened to their gear(cable,power conditioners,interconnects,And so on)for this magical improvement in the way it sounds...Often they bring in their wifes to confirm these improvements...Then they go to forums and play audio reviewer,They then use special audio terms such as thin,bloted,unveiled,critical listening(one of my favorites),Highs are smoother yet just as detailed and transparent,fleshed out ,emotion,musical and engaging,brittle and dry sounding(still trying to figure this one out),warm and engaging,the list goes on.This is just an oppinion though...

Unhappy If I were rich I'd be an "audiophile"

[QUOTE=topspeed]This is more an observations than question. I've noticed that most, if not all of the regulars here post with "audio enthusiast" under their moniker instead of "audiophile". .../QUOTE]

I'd be an audiophile if I had the cash to regularly upgrade my equipment. As it is I'm a poor guy who's hardly got the where-with-all to buy the odd record.

As I posted once before on this board you can tell when somebody is not an audiophile, if your an audiopile. I think audiophile conveys the meaning of one who has technical background and has listened to a wide varity of equipment. And can build his own equipment with his eyes shut.Now I don't fall into this catagory but by dictionary definition I' would be an audiophile.
    As for the lingo in discribing a product, the terms if used correctly have a very specific meaning. So I know when reading a review exactly what you are hearing. But if I don't know the meaning of lets say the word soundstage or imaging then I really have no idea what the person is talking about.

Forum Regular Mwalsdor_cscc_edu's Avatar

Audio Enthusiast = Audiophile

Is there a difference? I think not, and I'd be comfortable with either label. Though, I'll agree there is a certain distain with the audiophile label. It conveys a quality that isn't always complimentary. Yet, I don't have a problem with it. You are what you are, and the term audiophile sums that up well enough. And if there are certain negative associations I don't believe that speaks very highly of those that could be defined as such but choose another, less controversial definition. No one term can completely communicate the connection between participate and passion. It's just a starting point, snap shot of something more complex.

MikE

Nicely put.

Quote Originally Posted by Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
    No one term can completely communicate the connection between participate and passion.
    MikE
    Good point Mike.

Forum Regular

As an Audiophile...

[QUOTE=46minaudio]Ive always thought an audio enthusiast was someone that listened to and enjoyed music.And an audiophile was someone that listened to their gear(cable,power conditioners,interconnects,And so on)for this magical improvement in the way it sounds...

My definition of an Audiophile: A person who assembles an audio system that has the ability to reproduce recorded music in as high a fidelity as possible. Now, what is High-Fidelity varies from person to person. Finding what High-Fidelity is for you, well that's where the fun comes in.

Why be an Audiophile? Easy, because A High-Fidelity system makes listening to music much more enjoyable. Well at least it does for me. As I have stated:"I am an Audiophile, and proud of it!

[QUOTE=bturk667]
    Quote Originally Posted by 46minaudio
    Ive always thought an audio enthusiast was someone that listened to and enjoyed music.And an audiophile was someone that listened to their gear(cable,power conditioners,interconnects,And so on)for this magical improvement in the way it sounds...

My definition of an Audiophile: A person who assembles an audio system that has the ability to reproduce recorded music in as high a fidelity as possible. Now, what is High-Fidelity varies from person to person. Finding what High-Fidelity is for you, well that's where the fun comes in.

Why be an Audiophile? Easy, because A High-Fidelity system makes listening to music much more enjoyable. Well at least it does for me. As I have stated:"I am an Audiophile, and proud of it!

nice post bturk

Heck...there ain't nothin' wrong with being an audiophile, unless your view of them is negative.

I love listening to music...and I enjoy my (audio) hobby too. Two separate things...hey, I suppose I should add I like fishin as well. All three are things I enjoy...and all three are separate from one another...even tho they may have some parallels.

it's all goood

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular

Music Lover?

Well, of the three choices for Listening Style, I picked Audio Enthusiast. The others were Casual Listener and Audiophile. No choice for Music Lover!

My listening is often not casual, so that won't do. Although many people invest the term "audiophile" with all sorts of wonderful positive meanings, I am not particularly in love with it.

I find many audiophiles obsess about the sound, keep trying to improve it with all sorts of things that often make no difference. They tend to focus on their equipment. My take is that if you have to keep evaluating the sound, something is wrong, either psychologically or with the equipment, most likely the speakers or their placement, not to mention the recordings themselves. I cannot deny that I have a strong audiophile streak, but I try put it in the service of listening to music. Although I may take a great deal of trouble to find speakers I like, once I have them, they last me a long time. Why is it so many audiophiles need to keep changing their equipment? So, I prefer not to self-identify as an audiophile.

Now, Audio Enthusiast is not all that much better. It still puts the focus on the quality of sound but presumably to a less obsessive extent. What would we contrast it with--video enthusiast? Of the three, it's the least objectionable.

I would self-identify as a Music Lover, but that's not one of the choices.
    Last edited by Pat D; 12-04-2003 at 09:38 AM.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Gear Head

I reckon gear head ought to be put in this dissussion somewhere..I will have to say I am a gear head..I enjoy reading about it.Lets face it we are all here on this site for some reason.I very seldom go to rave recordings...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information