Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    Well actualy I can't right now get my receiver back since she needs it now. If I take it then she has no receiver to watch her movies. She said that if I buy the speakers instead then she will buy a receiver but it might take some time. But do you guys think I should get the speakers or the receiver??? I have to pick one. The Pioneer receiver is mine I bought it 4 years agao.

Seriously Vanilla Ice, you obviously just want to spend money... so buy whatever you want and stop asking for opinions...

Your reasoning for why you "need" to upgrade is ridiculous...

1) Your speakers sound fine but the grills look old... What??? How can that possibly be a serious reason to spend more money? Just take off the grills, if they look crappy...

2) Your mommy has borrowed your receiver.... now that would make sense if you were just asking which receiver you should buy instead (and giving your mom your old one as a gift) but since you are thinking of buying new speakers instead, then clearly the fact that your mommy has your receiver is irrelevant.... What the heck are you gonna do with new speakers if your mommy still has your receiver?

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

Angry

ok I TOLD you guys that she will buy a new receiver if I decide to buy the speakers. She will get her own since if I have my own back then she wont have one. So to get to the point I NEED to know which is better to get the Onkyo receiver for me or the HLS610??? Stop being soo rude ok. I dont have much money so I can't get everything I need OK. I made my mind up on getting the HLS610 or the receiver and I just need help on deciding which is the best choice.
    Dallas's Forums

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Ok you guys are getting off track I am just asking which is better to get out of the two if that was the only choices?? The receiver or the speakers. Please don't get off track since I am serious about this.
    OK, so that answers my original question. You're too f*cked up to hold a job. Sorry to hear that. But you seem like a nice enough guy. Buy yourself a new receiver to use with your old speakers, and let mom keep the Pioneer receiver. I'm guessing she has her hands full enough worrying about what psycho you'll be hanging out with on any given day.

Speaking of psycho, who is that with you in your avatar pic? Charles Manson, Jr.? Scary lookin' dude. Gives me the willies. Make SURE he stays on his meds...

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    I guess they just make young' uns different today.
    I don't know, I just turned 24 today. This seems like a "special" case. I looked at his forum and just from reading things here, it seems not everything was bolted together quite right when this model was on the factory floor.

ok I TOLD you guys that she will buy a new receiver if I decide to buy the speakers. She will get her own since if I have my own back then she wont have one. So to get to the point I NEED to know which is better to get the Onkyo receiver for me or the HLS610??? Stop being soo rude ok. I dont have much money so I can't get everything I need OK. I made my mind up on getting the HLS610 or the receiver and I just need help on deciding which is the best choice.
    That logic and reasoning is so completely flawed. She'll give you your receiver back if you buy new speakers, but not now even though you already have speakers that need it?

In that case you might as well buy some BETTER speakers used or save $50-70 more for better speakers new and get that because evidently she's going to give it back to you as long as you buy new speakers (that makes no sense, you need it now).

Ok so you think that I should keep my HLS410 and get the receiver? If you guys think thats the best then i will do that. But I want to know what others think. Anyways that other guy is my bf his name is Adam OK. I been with him for 3 years and we still love each other. Look at my website and goto whats new page and read about me and Adam.

http://www.velociraptor.4t.com
    Dallas's Forums

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    I don't know, I just turned 24 today. This seems like a "special" case. I looked at his forum and just from reading things here, it seems not everything was bolted together quite right when this model was on the factory floor.

That logic and reasoning is so completely flawed. She'll give you your receiver back if you buy new speakers, but not now even though you already have speakers that need it?

In that case you might as well buy some BETTER speakers used or save $50-70 more for better speakers new and get that because evidently she's going to give it back to you as long as you buy new speakers (that makes no sense, you need it now).
    I SAID that I liked the sound of the HLS series the most so I just wanted to stay in that line. I just need to know which is better to get the speakers or the receiver OK? Why cant you guys just answer that question.
    Dallas's Forums

I don't know, I just turned 24 today.
    Damnation. Happy Birthday C. Emo!!!!
    I hope you'll graduate soon, and start making crap loads of money.

Best Wishes,

To Mr. Bamboo Forest,

Get the Onkyo.

I SAID that I liked the sound of the HLS series the most so I just wanted to stay in that line. I just need to know which is better to get the speakers or the receiver OK? Why cant you guys just answer that question.
    Have you listened to anything else? I doubt you'll like them if you experience better speakers (which can be had for less than some $400 JBLs I've noticed you use). Go find local hi-fi (even "mid-fi" if you have any) shops. You'll find some things that will just cause your jaw to drop to the floor.

edit: thanks jrhy... I feel old now, am I catching up to you?

edit^2: wow I've been reading this Out of 4

Another thing I needed to know is that is there difference in overall sound compairing the HLS410 and 610? What I mean is that is it worth getting the HLS610 if I have the smaller one since the freq on the 4in can only go 75hz and the 6in can go 55hz.
    Dallas's Forums

Listen to them. If you actually read what other people posted you would see that specs are somewhat meaningless. Where would you be buying these speakers? At a local store? If so go listen!

Or you could just give up on JBL since they're not that good anyway.

Mr. Bamboo Forest,

No one here has listened to every speakers out there and took notes, so we cant help you.

Look for speakers with this:

Power handling: 80-150 watts, 8 ohm, and from 40 to 60hz on the lowest notes.

I still have faith in you, so listen to everyone who has posted.

Emo: Are you catching up to me? Mmmmmmm... how quickly do you age?

I'd get the receiver, you definitely need to get rid of that computer speaker amp.

I'd also get bigger speakers, you need to get rid of those 4" mids and step up to something with at least a 6" woofer. Avoid JBL.

There's your answer, you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Emo: Are you catching up to me? Mmmmmmm... how quickly do you age?
    Like a cat, faster at first but then gradually the aging process slows down. I fear you may already have too much of a head start.

The reason why people are being so "rude" to you is because you refuse to listen to any advice given to you and pretty much make a mockery of the purpose of this forum.....

The best advice is that both of your options are bad and you'd be better off saving your money and listening to other speakers..... but even so, a number of people (myself included) have actually given you advice on whether to buy the speakers or the receiver...

So all you need to do is count up the number of votes for the speakers and the number for the receiver and make your decision based on that (since you don't want to make the decision yourself)....

Well, hot damn, dude!

Happy B-Day. guy. Enjoy the living bejeezus outta it and have many. many more.

And yeah, I think they left out some important parts outta this model.

When we get up to your area, I'll PM ya and buy ya a drink fer the implied (but not intended) insult. We have a friend in East Rochester who we visit when she's home. She'a a missionary and travels frequently.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

And so it continues...

I just knew that if I came back this would still be going on. I should apologise for not having read the specs on the different speakers. Had I done so much of this could have been avoided as the answer lies in simple mathematics.
    100%--X(pi)=FA
    To make it clearer "X" being the difference in circumference times pi subtracted from a hundred percent is equal to the percentage of of overall bass capability of the speakers compared to the industry standard, which is, of course, Florian's set of Apogee Grandes. So if one plugs in the numbers 2xpi (roughly 3.14)=6.28 subtracted from 100% is...HOLY PIXIE SNOT!!!!...if you buy the speakers you will have 92.72% of the overall bass output of Florians Apogee Grandes.

Buy the speaks, dude. You'll regret it if you don't. Have you thought about cabling? Post pics!

Dear Spanky,

As a good friend of yours i recommend the following.

1. Shut the hell up and look for another forum.

eh...what are you waiting for.....?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    What do you owe her, anyway?

It's only your mother who didn't abort you, grew you in her womb, nursed you through your sicknesses, paid for your upkeep, and raised you to what you are today
    What a waste of time
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Heres the specs for the HLS610 and the HLS410.

HLS610
    2-Way, 6-1/2" 125 Watt Bookshelf Speaker (PAIR)

Video Shielding allows speakers to be safely placed near a TV without distorting your television's picture.

MSRP: $299.95PR

OTHER VIEWS:

SPECIFICATIONS

First Manufactured 1997
    Last Manufactured 1999
    First MSRP $329.95
    General
    Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 88
    Impedance 8
    Bass Driver 6-1/2"
    Midrange Driver N/A
    High-Frequency Driver 10mm mounted in Constant Directivity Horn
    Recommended Power Amplifier Range 15 - 125 watts
    Dimensions (H x W x D) 16 1/4 x 8 5/16 x 9 7/16"
    Frequency Response (±3dB) 55 - 20kHz

__________________________________________________ ________________________

HLS410

Video Shielding allows speakers to be safely placed near a TV without distorting your television's picture.

MSRP: $229.00PR

OTHER VIEWS:

SPECIFICATIONS

First Manufactured 1998
    Last Manufactured 1999
    First MSRP $229.00
    General
    Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 86
    Impedance 8
    4"
    Midrange Driver N/A
    High-Frequency Driver 10mm mounted in Constant Directivity Horn
    Recommended Power Amplifier Range 15 - 100 watts
    Dimensions (H x W x D) 10 x 5 1/2 x 6 1/8"
    Frequency Response (±3dB) 75 - 20kHz
    Dallas's Forums

YOU'RE NOT LISTENING

News flash bub, nobody cares about the specs of those speakers, but I can guarantee you can do better at either price point. Why won't you listen to the advice people give you? Before complaining about how we're being mean to you or aren't helping you, pause and think about what's happening here. People who are very experienced in audio are telling you to drop your current plans.

If you can't read this, pause and say "what the hell was I thinking?" then you need your head examined. Sheesh.

Why am I bothering? I'm too bored right now!

I can't believe I just wasted 10 min. of my life reading this thread

I can't believe you guys keep responding back with suggestions

Where's GM, he'd be loving this thread

But I told you guys that I don't want other speakers than I was talking about since I decided to get the HLS series. I know you guys are saying they are not good but I like the HLS series alot. But my main question is should I get the HLS610 that is bigger than what I have or should I get the receiver. I also need to know if my receiver is better than the Onkyo TX8522 I was talking about too. My receiver is the Pioneer VSX-405.
    Dallas's Forums

Mutant from table 9
    Your mom doesn't need the Pioneer receiver to watch her movies anymore...

...she's been watchin' them at my house. SVI's mom makes a mean turkey pot pie.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I can't believe you guys keep responding back with suggestions
    sheer boredom/amusement

But I told you guys that I don't want other speakers than I was talking about since I decided to get the HLS series. I know you guys are saying they are not good but I like the HLS series alot. But my main question is should I get the HLS610 that is bigger than what I have or should I get the receiver. I also need to know if my receiver is better than the Onkyo TX8522 I was talking about too. My receiver is the Pioneer VSX-405.
    If you ever actually listened to something other than crappity crap crap speakers you probably would be looking at other speakers by now.

My first suggestion would be to save up and get some decent speakers. But since you can't seem to let those JBL's go and your just itching to spend your money, I'd say to let your poor mother keep the Pioneer, pick up that Onkyo and keep your current speakers.

Perhaps one day you'll see the light and upgrade your speakers. In the meantime, everyone should be happy.

Is it just me or has this already been suggested a thousand times!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information