Forum Regular

Arrow Marantz CD-67 mk2 SE/ CD-R campatibilty

thinking about buying this used model (made around 1998) but wary of some machines not being able to play CD-R type discs. Does anyone have this player, or similar player built around the same time, that can give me some tech advice. Have tried everything on the web including the marantz site with no success.Thanks

Had one of those

It did play CD-R well. It seemed well built, but was never pleased with the sound using the built-in DAC. Many people complained about the harsh / bright sound of this model. Ended up selling it cheap. The Sony 5-disc player I'm using now sounds better to me. I think others would agree that CD players have gotten better in the last 10 years and that a cheaper new model might sound better than some of the mid-priced older models.

Forum Regular

You're dead right

as I said - I was in the market for a second hand CD-67 model (eBay) but..... it finally sold for a crazy $330 australian!...putting my cash aside now for a new player...NAD542 instead.
    As you correctly observe new machines are cheaper by comparison and a safer bet...technology is better and cheaper....now 24bit as opposed to 16bit.

I know where I'd prefer to put my hard earned cash.
    Last edited by andrewpaul; 10-27-2004 at 03:16 PM. Reason: rewrite of details

I'm using a Marantz CD-65SE and have really enjoyed it. It's not bad for a 22 yr old kid.

Not knocking Marantz...

The CD-63 sounded very good. The CD-67 was pretty much the same model with a digital volume control added on. Think there was something wrong with the design. Seemed like there was too much gain with the control at it's default setting. Alot of people said it sounded better with the volume turned down a bit. Got sick of trying to find the + - 0dB point on the volume control every time I turned it on. As far as I know, no other Marantz model suffers from this problem. The CD-67 seemed to have a nice transport as it very rarely skipped. Sounded good hooked up to a digital input.

Thread Information