Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=Groundbeef]I must admit though, it most likely will be difficult to fit the entire band in the car.!/QUOTE]

LOL. Why do I have visions of the "Blues Brothers" in my head?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Luvin Da Blues]
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    I must admit though, it most likely will be difficult to fit the entire band in the car.!/QUOTE]

LOL. Why do I have visions of the "Blues Brothers" in my head?
    Clearly you cannot appreciate fine music. To equate "Blues Brothers" with Big Band is like saying a Triceratops is the same as Brontasaurus. The Blues Brothers sang "Blues" and drove to Chicago on 1/2 tank of gas and some cigarettes.

Mr. Walker is driving from 1928 to 1931 in a BMW with a full complement of Big Band Musicians blowing out the hits like Carnival in Rio.

Totally different, and yet somehow related.

Now we need to stop for a second. It seems the trombone player has fallen out of the trunk. I hope he is alright.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

[QUOTE=Groundbeef]
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues

Clearly you cannot appreciate fine music. To equate "Blues Brothers" with Big Band is like saying a Triceratops is the same as Brontasaurus. The Blues Brothers sang "Blues" and drove to Chicago on 1/2 tank of gas and some cigarettes.

Mr. Walker is driving from 1928 to 1931 in a BMW with a full complement of Big Band Musicians blowing out the hits like Carnival in Rio.

Now we need to stop for a second. It seems the trombone player has fallen out of the trunk. I hope he is alright.
    He was, up until he got caught up on the rear axel.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    ...Even if its a BMW, you might have to put a player or 2 in the trunk. But it would still have the best sound!
    Yeah but then what would you do with the BMW *tech-in-trunk*? Ask topspeed where he keeps his...

Suspended
    Triceratops is the same as Brontasaurus.
    I'm impressed beefy. Your spelling is spot on!
    Quote Originally Posted by beef
    I think that was the tech. The music still sounds fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I'm impressed beefy. Your spelling is spot on!
    What can I say. I was a dino-nut as a kid. Of course, that was when music was best. Nothing sounds quite like wood on a cave wall for bass. Of course, Bose introduced 2 small coconuts that "approximated" the sound of a full cave of bass, but most cavemen were not fooled.

Except Mr. Walker. But his coconuts were of exceptional construction, made by German caveman, trained in Japanese sound caves.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

[QUOTE=GMichael]

He was, up until he got caught up on the rear axel.
    Huh, I thought that deep Whooomp was the bass player goin' nuts. Oh well, trombone players are a dime a dozen. Unless they are German. Then they are a marc a dozen.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am not sure about big band but maybe barbershop quartet is the thing. Easily transportable and no instruments needed.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

[QUOTE=Groundbeef]

ROFLMAO...I sure have a lot to learn..Thanks GB

Suspended
    What can I say. I was a dino-nut as a kid. Of course, that was when music was best. Nothing sounds quite like wood on a cave wall for bass. Of course, Bose introduced 2 small coconuts that "approximated" the sound of a full cave of bass, but most cavemen were not fooled.

Except Mr. Walker. But his coconuts were of exceptional construction, made by German caveman, trained in Japanese sound caves.
    Holy CRAP! You're really old.

Guy's, can we try a little harder to get our quote tags straightened out please? You're responding to your own posts and I'm getting confused.
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 01-15-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Holy CRAP! You're really old.

Guy's, can we try a little harder to get our quote tags straightened out please? You're responding to your own posts and I'm getting confused.
    Whats a quote tag? Is that some 'new fangled' invention? Back in the day we used REAL quotations, not some "quote tag".
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I am not sure about big band but maybe barbershop quartet is the thing. Easily transportable and no instruments needed.
    I like that. Although around the holidays, it would be nice to squeeze in a chorus line to sing showtunes. The barbershop quartet could harmonize the line, and keep them in order.

Just keep GM out of the car. He'd just do naughty things, and mess up the singing.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Jeez, sorry Rich. Actually I posted that on the quick at work. The quote was from GB and I guess I must of deleted the wrong stuff.

Suspended
    j/k LDB.

j/k LDB.
    Just goes to show how things can be misinterpreted on the web. My response was said "tongue in cheek" also. That's what we need here, a tongue in cheek smiley.

I guess I coulda used this one

Just keep GM out of the car. He'd just do naughty things, and mess up the singing.
    Then how will anyone hit those high notes?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Just goes to show how things can be misinterpreted on the web. My response was said "tongue in cheek" also. That's what we need here, a tongue in cheek smiley.

I guess I coulda used this one

Forum Regular
    Another sad story of young people not understanding how good things used to be. For Christ sake everything in the world changes, not just cars and stereos. Thousands of things have improved including medicine and science to allow people like you Melvin to live longer to hate younger generations for many more years to come. It is very silly to continue to talk about how much better audio systems and musicians were much more talented then. If you have problems relating and talking to younger members then you might consider not being so critical. Nobody wants to spend $1000 on an amp and have someone like you say it is junk or not quality. Yes, time has changed and thank God for it!

Suspended

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by snodog
    Another sad story of young people not understanding how good things used to be. For Christ sake everything in the world changes, not just cars and stereos. Thousands of things have improved including medicine and science to allow people like you Melvin to live longer to hate younger generations for many more years to come. It is very silly to continue to talk about how much better audio systems and musicians were much more talented then. If you have problems relating and talking to younger members then you might consider not being so critical. Nobody wants to spend $1000 on an amp and have someone like you say it is junk or not quality. Yes, time has changed and thank God for it!
    One of the problems we have today with young people is the inability to read and understand what they have read. Some blame television others the computer.
    First I never said I hated young people. Second if you read my post I have said many times that the audio today was superior to audio pre 1970's with the exception of older high end speakers in my opinion.

Spending $1000 for for an amp does not guaranteed quality , I have no interest in relating to younger members , I give my position on issues involving audio and other members may counter if they wish. It is a point and counterpoint discussion.
    As for as talent , I will add that the bar was much higher for singers and musicians pre 1970's. The major recording companies saw to that.

I do not support political correctness. There is a move in America where everyone is afraid to speak out because of special interest groups that howl discrimination.
    If younger generations in America is so sensitive they can't handle criticism than there is little hope for the future in America.

There are those that spend $100,000 for a car , $8,000 for a suit , $15,000 for a watch etc.,
    and the items are criticized and the quality questioned.
    Example a $50,00 Timex keeps better time than a $7,000 Rolex. The Rolex owner does not start whining because someone said his $7,000 Rolex does not keep better time than a Timex. That's an opinion. We must learn to respect others opinions no matter how much
    we disagree.

Forum Regular
    As for as talent , I will add that the bar was much higher for singers and musicians pre 1970's.
    Classic mistake, Melvin. You are confusing popularity with talent. Sintatra, for example, in his early career was marketed toward teenage girls. He was promoted because he was able to sell a lot of records to teenagers in the early 1940s, not because he was considered a serious singing talent. The fact that he is now regarded as an icon of a previous era is something that only developed years later.

Actually, in the histories I've read, prior to Sinatra, records were primarily marketed to adults. He was one of the critical factors in the switch to the teenage audience. There is no shortage of irony in the fact that he is to some degree responsible for a shift in the selection of talent and marketing of music that has led to the modern state of affairs that you so dislike.

As far as modern talent you apparently just don't get out much. There are some wonderful composers, voices and musicians out there. Some do older styles that you'd be comfortable with while others are exploring new avenues. However, you are not going to find them if you don't explore anything past what is being marketed to the teenagers right now.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    Classic mistake, Melvin. You are confusing popularity with talent. Sintatra, for example, in his early career was marketed toward teenage girls. He was promoted because he was able to sell a lot of records to teenagers in the early 1940s, not because he was considered a serious singing talent. The fact that he is now regarded as an icon of a previous era is something that only developed years later.

Actually, in the histories I've read, prior to Sinatra, records were primarily marketed to adults. He was one of the critical factors in the switch to the teenage audience. There is no shortage of irony in the fact that he is to some degree responsible for a shift in the selection of talent and marketing of music that has led to the modern state of affairs that you so dislike.

As far as modern talent you apparently just don't get out much. There are some wonderful composers, voices and musicians out there. Some do older styles that you'd be comfortable with while others are exploring new avenues. However, you are not going to find them if you don't explore anything past what is being marketed to the teenagers right now.
    Frank Sinatra began his career in a night club , than he began singing with Harry James Band from there he moved on to the Tommy Dorsey Band. Most singers of Sinatra's era
    served an apprenticeship with bands before receiving recording contracts. Crosby , Como , Day, , Haynes , Staffard , Ella , Vaughn ,, etc. Later singers such as Williams , Mathis , Jones , Wilson , etc, were performing before they received recording contracts.

Sinatra left Tommy Dorsey and went out on his own , something many male singers did not do in the 40's as a matter of fact he was the first to take that chance.
    Yes he did have a following of young ladies as fans before the war. In the 50's Sinatra changed his style enabling him to appeal more to male audiences.

As for as talent Sinatra , not only was Sinatra an excellent song stylist , but an excellent actor , that won an Academy Award.
    It can be argued that Frank Sinatra is one of the two most successful male singers of popular music in the 20th century alone with Bing Crosby.

Forum Regular
    Melvin, you quote various snippets from Sinatra's history in your reply but don't bother addressing the point that was raised. Starting with the Hoboken Four in 1935, he was one of a bunch of singers who were with various big-band jazz groups of that era. However, it was his appeal to teenage girls that propelled his success in the 1940s. Not too much different than the screaming hoards of girls one sees in films of the early Beatles concerts from the 60's.

Of course, you've also ignored the fact that jazz was once a rebellious music form that was looked down upon by the more cultured in musical society (just as you're looking down your nose at other genres and artists these days.) Or that many of our most famous classical musicians are famous precisely because they changed the status quo of their time, not infrequently to the displeasure of the "establishment." Look at my previous post with the JS Bach example. Those were not kudos he was receiving for his adventurous work at the church organ. And that was 300 years ago.

Don't you find it ironic at all that, in Sinatra, here we have a fellow who helped change the business model of recording industry marketing practices that has Madonna, rappers and other currently popular acts as direct descendants? I think it shows that God has a good sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    Example a $50,00 Timex keeps better time than a $7,000 Rolex. The Rolex owner does not start whining because someone said his $7,000 Rolex does not keep better time than a Timex. That's an opinion.
    No, accuracy is easy to quantify and such would be understood as fact. My wife adjusts her Rolex using one of our $30 atomics. I think the reason that you have gotten so much flack here is that you have made quite a few unqualified statements that lack the usual sort of descriptors one uses when stating an opinion such as:

My experience is...
    I think...
    I agree with the notion that...
    I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    We must learn to respect others opinions no matter how much we disagree.
    Agreed. I might suggest, however, that you choose your words more carefully. Explain why you believe what you do. Such builds credence to support your opinion. Speaking of which, did you remember the $50,000 speaker that you believe sounds no better than an AR-3a? Or did you ever explain why you think that speakers must be 12 feet apart?

rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 01-21-2008 at 06:03 AM.

dang I didn't realise you guys were going on and on about this. Ive been missing out or maybe not..

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    No, accuracy is easy to quantify and such would be understood as fact. My wife adjusts her Rolex using one of our $30 atomics. I think the reason that you have gotten so much flack here is that you have made quite a few unqualified statements that lack the usual sort of descriptors one uses when stating an opinion such as:

My experience is...
    I think...
    I agree with the notion that...
    I believe...

Agreed. I might suggest, however, that you choose your words more carefully. Explain why you believe what you do. Such builds credence to support your opinion. Speaking of which, did you remember the $50,000 speaker that you believe sounds no better than an AR-3a? Or did you ever explain why you think that speakers must be 16 feet apart?

rw
    To discuss an issue, it is not about the messenger but the message. My post if you read it was 12 feet apart.
    If you disagree with my position on an issue than offer a counterpoint.
    I am a member of several forums , I must say the language , the personal attacks , the
    personal analysis is something I have never seen so much of as on this forum.
    If you are in disagreement with my statement concerning an issue offer a counterpoint , not about me but the issue !

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information