Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

Suggestions needed

Here's the situation, my mom brought over her new Il Divo CD to listen on my system. Seemed harmless enough but now she's like, "wehn I put this in my car or home player it don't sound like yours". I could piece her a system together from stuff I have around and let her use it but she's in an apartment so space is a premium. I was thinking about maybe something for Mother's Day/Birthday like a mini system or all-in-one system. So I need a great bang for the buck deal. I read some where that either the Cambridge or Creek mini components were pretty bad but I can't remember which it was. I'm not sure she would like NAD and it's mom, I don't think NAD is all that stylish. The less money the better but I had considered the Shanling MC30 which I can get around $650.00 refurbed. That has the CD and everything so not so bad but pushing the budget. Plus with the MC30 I'd have to come up with some efficient speakers. I could lend her my Forte but again space is a premium.

So shoot me some options, either all-in-one quality units or budget entry level that are giant killers. Also simplicity is a must. I browsed around Spearitsound some but any other deals around?

If your mother is anything like my late mother, she'd prefer unobtrusive. The Shanling is smallish, pretty, and probably sounds pretty good but isn't exactly unobtrusive ...

How about the NAD C715 ...

... and a pair of PBS Alpha B1's ...

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    So shoot me some options, either all-in-one quality units or budget entry level that are giant killers. Also simplicity is a must. I browsed around Spearitsound some but any other deals around?

This could be a really good deal for yourself. How often do you need to buy her a present and don't have a clue what to get. S, you can gradually build her a system. I'd suggest not getting everything at once, but think of a immediate 'big bang' and then an upgrade path as well.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Suspended
    I was looking at the C715 or L54, leaning toward the L54 for the extra power. Opinions on looks? I'm also wondering if she'd have problems operating either. The C715 is just CD I believe, I didn't see any video features so it may be simpler.

Stan, I at least need to get CD playback.

Ajani
    Here's the situation, my mom brought over her new Il Divo CD to listen on my system. Seemed harmless enough but now she's like, "wehn I put this in my car or home player it don't sound like yours". I could piece her a system together from stuff I have around and let her use it but she's in an apartment so space is a premium. I was thinking about maybe something for Mother's Day/Birthday like a mini system or all-in-one system. So I need a great bang for the buck deal. I read some where that either the Cambridge or Creek mini components were pretty bad but I can't remember which it was. I'm not sure she would like NAD and it's mom, I don't think NAD is all that stylish. The less money the better but I had considered the Shanling MC30 which I can get around $650.00 refurbed. That has the CD and everything so not so bad but pushing the budget. Plus with the MC30 I'd have to come up with some efficient speakers. I could lend her my Forte but again space is a premium.

The Cambridge Mini would have to be the ones you heard were bad... Creek doesn't have mini systems: just headphone amps and a very well regarded passive pre....

I'm not a NAD fan, so I'd more likely opt for the Shanling or something similiar... and the Fortes would be a good match (sensitivity wise) with the Shanlings...

How about one of these?

Onkyo

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Denon

Yammie

Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

you could always go with one of these

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Here's the perfect solution. Your Mom likes your system, your system is at your place. See where I'm going.................. Hello Roomie.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Forum Regular

Here some info/options...

Speaker options; MS 902i and Cambridge Audio S30.

Also you may want to investigate:
    Sinclair
    http://www.sinclairaudio.com/index.html

Amplification:
    http://store.virtueaudio.com/

Source:
    Emotiva

An all in one system option:
    http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Marantz-M-CR502/

Happy researching...

LeRoy

Last edited by blackraven; 05-01-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Here are several Mini Yamaha systems-

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/minisystem...5002800&LGFL=Y
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Isn't the Creek Evolution stuff supposed to be mini size or something?

I saw the Music Hall Trio and it's supposed to sound great but price is getting up there.

That Marantz is interesting but I don't think it's available in the U.S. or scarce. I also saw a quoted price in USD ofr nearly $800.00. As a side note Accessories For Less has a refurb of the $2k Blu Ray player for $599.00.

I wonder how that Audio Source stuff sounds. I also thought of Trends. Not sure how good the Yamaha would sound.

If I'm going "space saver" it looks like there's going to be a compromise on either sound or a crimp in my wallet.

Oh, and Jack, wrong direction my friend. She's looking for a new place too coincidently. Her nerves couldn't take my household though

MrP...how much is she into music? I mean nothing that we showed here is going to sound like your system. So you really need to think what it is you really think she will enjoy. Most of us here are audio hobbyist and love music as much as the gear...but if I where you, i would be reasonable about this purchase. What is she using now? How much does she play music? I know its mom but if she does not have a trained ear like most of us here, do you think she will notice a Creek mini system will sound better than a good Yammie system? Every one in my family loves music and buy CD's and they love my system, but they also enjoy the stuff at best buy and they say it sounds just as good. But only you know mom...and we can never repay mom for the up bringing and nurturing she has done for us....and we all love mom, so nothing wrong with going all out for mom...for what I know she may be an audiohobbyist but if she is not, then it may not matter that you don't get her a pricey Creek mini system or something like that...a lesser good system may just do the trick. Only trying to bring some perspective....and if I have over stepped here, my apologies.

frenchmon

Suspended
    That's alright Frenchmon I have been thinking the same thing. She has not been an enthusiast in the past. But she dated a guy who got her into Jazz and took her to several concerts. She surprised me by coming over with the CD and wanting to hear it on my system so maybe she is beginning to blume I'm not rich either. I'd love to get her a Music Hall Trio, the reviews are great. But I'd be pushing it to get a NAD L54. How do you think those look? I haven't heard the Yamaha but I hate to get something that just sounds like a glorified boombox. Speaking of which, she is just using a JVC mini system now but this is the first time she's been unhappy with it. I just wanted to get something a bit above average, a bit of the audiophilia. Hard to find on a budget.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar

I saw the Music Hall Trio and it's supposed to sound great but price is getting up there.

That Marantz is interesting but I don't think it's available in the U.S. or scarce. I also saw a quoted price in USD ofr nearly $800.00. As a side note Accessories For Less has a refurb of the $2k Blu Ray player for $599.00.

I wonder how that Audio Source stuff sounds. I also thought of Trends. Not sure how good the Yamaha would sound.

If I'm going "space saver" it looks like there's going to be a compromise on either sound or a crimp in my wallet.

Oh, and Jack, wrong direction my friend. She's looking for a new place too coincidently. Her nerves couldn't take my household though
    Maybe a quiet little place along the Mississippi for Mom. Well back to your problem. Bit of a sticky wicket. Mom has heard your speakers and if she has a discerning ear like her son, it could be a tough job. Your Mom is going to wind up with the sound system that's the envy of the bridge club or whatever.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Why not just buy her the Onkyo 8255 or HK 3380 receiver and find a used Oppo 980 or 981 and then a pair of nice speakers. The Hk will have a warmer sound which might be better for a budget system.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AMSPQI/...l_36pksyfn9i_e

Inexpensive and good sound. Put most of the money to the speakers. It sounds like she really enjoyed your system and getting some nice speakers with a decent inexpensive receiver and CD player will give her the best possible sound for less money.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular

That's alright Frenchmon I have been thinking the same thing. She has not been an enthusiast in the past. But she dated a guy who got her into Jazz and took her to several concerts. She surprised me by coming over with the CD and wanting to hear it on my system so maybe she is beginning to blume I'm not rich either. I'd love to get her a Music Hall Trio, the reviews are great. But I'd be pushing it to get a NAD L54. How do you think those look? I haven't heard the Yamaha but I hate to get something that just sounds like a glorified boombox. Speaking of which, she is just using a JVC mini system now but this is the first time she's been unhappy with it. I just wanted to get something a bit above average, a bit of the audiophilia. Hard to find on a budget.
    I think the L 54 would be a good choice. It beats some other choices in that it is a decent stereo AV as well as just a music receiver. You could hook her up to improve her TV and DVD sound, as well as music, with just that machine and a pair of speakers.

MrP. The NAD would be a good choice for her. But keep in mind the characteristics of the NAD sound. So the speakers should be a tad livelier . The worst thing we could do is pair them with a more laid back speaker. Do you remember when we went over to "Music For Pleasure" and we listened to the NAD paired with the DALI stand mount speakers? DALI has a live tweeter and sound, therefore bringing out the best in NAD.

If I went with that mini system....the NAD L 54 I, would also go for the M.S. 902i's

They would be a lively little speaker with emotion...just small enough to go well with her space, but not to small to get lost in her space...its a good speaker with good construction....you would finally get a chance to listen to them...and I trust my friend LeRoy..but perhaps LeRoy can chime in here and tell us about the bottom end of the 902? it looks like you would spend ruffly around $625 before shipping and tax, and if you are a good talker you may be able to talk up a deal from your friends over a Spearitsound

http://www.needledoctor.com/Mordaunt...category=27226

frenchmon
    Last edited by frenchmon; 05-02-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Cool

HERES your problem.
    You have to stop thinking like an audio fiend and start thinking like your mom.
    And even tho I HATE THEIR GUTS...
    I think you seriously have to think about going to the "dark" side(cue the vader music)

yes, I AM TALKING BOUT ...

BOSE

Either the clock radio or the 900 buck "system" they have.
    DOESNT SOUND anything like the original, but it will do "Divo" just fine.
    Trust me , your mom will love it.
    Can't enjoy it if she can't find the on/off switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Ajani
    Nope... Full size, just not bulky... so around the size of your Emotiva CD player....

Forum Regular

Okay, my turn to chime in..

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    If I went with that mini system....the NAD L 54 I, would also go for the M.S. 902i's
    frenchmon
    I agree that the NAD L54 is the best solution for the money and the pragmatic pick overall. I certainly have no reservation about recommending the 902i's but if "mom" likes to crank it up once ina while the 902's will shake the walls. The 902i's are not bass shy but overall they are quite a balanced and lively speaker and this paring would be my first choice. A very engaging and exciting listen.

My second choice would be the NAD L54 with the C.A. S-30's. While the S-30's aren't as large as the 902's and dare I say are quite "cute" they can produce an impressive bass note though not as strong as the 902's. Overall the S-30's are not as lively as the 902's but certainly I don't find them to be dull at all. The S-30's are accurate and more austere in their presentation. A very enjoyable listen.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either pairing and basically the cost difference is negligible.

LeRoy

Suspended
    Thanks again for the help. I think the L54 is the strongest contender. The speakers are between the CA30, MS902 or the PSB. But then I may have to find some stands. What am I getting myself into?

Thanks again for the help. I think the L54 is the strongest contender. The speakers are between the CA30, MS902 or the PSB. But then I may have to find some stands. What am I getting myself into?
    This is just a FYI...the PSB may be a tad warm and may not sit well with NAD....talk to BlackRaven about PSB's sound characteristic. HE knows NAD and PSB. They both are on the warm side of things and may make for a boring un-engaging sound that wont pull you in. I dont know if bright cables such as silver cables will help that combination.

Also...check with Parts Express..they have some good cheap stands.

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    This is just a FYI...the PSB may be a tad warm and may not sit well with NAD....talk to BlackRaven about PSB's sound characteristic. HE knows NAD and PSB. They both are on the warm side of things and may make for a boring un-engaging sound that wont pull you in. I dont know if bright cables such as silver cables will help that combination.

Also...check with Parts Express..they have some good cheap stands.

frenchmon
    The PSB Image line leans to the neutral to bright side, the upper level Synchrony's lean on the warm side.

Mr. P, Audio Advisor is running a sale on Pangea speaker stands for about $45pr. It's in the latest catalog and may not be reflected on their web site. Another option for speakers would be the Athena LS-300 towers. It would solve the problem of stands.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS300

How about these stands-16", 24" and 31"

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...ariation=24BLK
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp