Forum Regular

Which Stereo to go with??

I always been a KENWOOD fan & I vintage one broke. I have another KENWOOD 107VR or am I better off to go with the Harman/Kardon AV-R55 or Yamaha RX-V363?? 107VR doesn't seem to have connections for Tape Decks.

Suspended
    If you are wanting surround sound HK or Yamaha would be pretty good, I'd have to compare features before making a stand on either. If you just want stereo look at the Onkyo, I think the model is 8255. Yamaha makes a stereo receiver but i believe it's around $499.00. If you look carefully you might find another vintage Kenwood or Pioneer used but currently for some reason "vintage" is in vogue and people are paying stupid money for them so prices on older receivers are higher than they should be. I believe the Onkyo is under $300.00. They did make a lower powered 50 watt receiver for under $200.00 but not sure if they still offer it. If radio isn't important NAD integrated amps start pretty cheap too. Give an idea of your wants, needs and budget so we can maybe give some better options if these don't work. If you did pick up an integrated you can always add a tuner later.

Forum Regular
    The Harman/Kardon has never impressed me at all especially for music I thought the yamaha is impressive in it's sound quality. I don't use it anymore due to lack of proper inputs there is no Tape or Phono. I don't use surround Sound at all. I would just like to get my Kenwood working if possible no money for exspensive parts or repairs. I don't care for integrated amps at all because They have no power can't play loud or shake the house because they don't run off AC 120 V & plus you can only hook certain brand of components up to them.

Forum Regular
    The Kenwood is not worn out is it??

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by VintageTurntable
    The Kenwood is not worn out is it??
    They come from the factory worn out.
    I have never understood the appeal of this brand.
    They used to serve a niche, cheap but decent HI-FI gear for poora**
    audiophiles, but they always had that air of swap meet to them.
    And Now...
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

The HK 3390 and 3490 2ch receivers are a great buy and sound great for music. They lean to the warmer side and have great features including bass management and preamp outs which is nice if you ever want to buy a separate amp and use the HK as a preamp. Pair them with a good CD player and you will get very good sound. I think the HK's put out 45peak amps which is quite a bit of current for a receiver. It also has a built in phono preamp (3490)

The Onkyo to get is the 8522 (100wpc) or the newer 8555 (100wpc), the 8255 has only 50wpc

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereore.../fr/HK3490.htm

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCoQ8wIwAg#

Here's the Onkyo, but I would say the HK is a much better receiver, more features and better power supply and higher current.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TX85...ures_and_specs

Here it is for $268

http://www.abt.com/product/37009/Onk...8-0026b958ace7
    Last edited by blackraven; 05-14-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Not sure what you think an integrated amp is. It's basically the receiver without the tuner section. Typically, depending on model to model, an integrated amp is built to out perform a receiver. Integrated amps plug into the wall and definitely there are plenty to shake the house and you can plug most any component into one.

For the price you'd have to pay to get your Kenwood up and running you might as well buy something else.

Forum Regular
    I got a Yamaha RX-V363 I don't think think it has anything close to the right inputs definatelty no Tape input.

Suspended
    You can hook your tape deck into "AUX" or any analog audio input just for listening. You could get by until getting another receiver or the old one fixed. You'd just have to do without making new tapes until then. Another thing to check is the VCR input, if it also allows an output that's the same thing as a tape loop.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    The Yamaha is a step up from the Kenwood but seems to be a budget HT receiver. You can hook it up as Mr. P suggests until something else more dedicated to music comes along.

If you like Kenwood as a brand their older gear is better than most anything they have produced in the last 20 years. Check out your local thrift stores and CL ads and you mind something there that you like.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Suspended
    Kid, have you had a chance to work on your Heresy's?

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Kid, have you had a chance to work on your Heresy's?
    Unfortunately no, I have been on the road several weeks and I am trying to scrape up the cash for the new X-overs and tweeters by selling some gear. I will be working on the cabinets though this weekend. Hope to have them up and running by end of June.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

I always been a KENWOOD fan & I vintage one broke. I have another KENWOOD 107VR or am I better off to go with the Harman/Kardon AV-R55 or Yamaha RX-V363?? 107VR doesn't seem to have connections for Tape Decks.
    If it's 2 channel stereo only you want, I highly recomend the Yamaha RX-797 receiver. I've had mine since Dec 2009. I got it at JR's in NYC.

It has a respectable phono input, CD/SACD, tape in/out, and most anything else in stereo. Outstanding features include variable loudness control and CD-Direct & Pure Direct circuits which reduce noise (but, I can't hear any noise anyway).

I am extremely happy with mine.
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

Forum Regular
    Well I am certain I will never buy another vintage Receiver because I'm lable to have the same problem.

Forum Regular
    So is the Kenwood fried or is there a solution? I have no money for costly repairs.

Forum Regular
    Hey which is better for radio Digital or Analog tuner? The Kenwood is oldskool for sure.

Forum Regular
    Update I Just Ran The Receiver At High Volume For A Few Minutes No Crackle Pop Or Clipping Out.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    The Harman/Kardon has never impressed me at all especially for music
    I used to have a Harman Kardon PM655 integrated Amplifier (circa: 1986; 80 Watts, peak 45 Amps). Amazing sound, I had to sell it because one channel died. Maybe the newer H/K stuff is not as good??

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Forum Regular
    I don't care for any of their products sorry

AR Newbie Registered Member
    there is nothing like a good yamaha ! try craigs list in your area.

Thread Information