Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Stands

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Speaker Stands

I am interested in others' opinions on speaker stands. I am currently using the Sanus Steel Foundation 22 inch stands. They are very nice assemble yourself stands. They have a wide base for stability, spikes that pierce carpet and couple to the floor. What I am wondering from anyone who has tried them what advantages may I gain by switching to a welded stand?

I am looking at the Sound Anchor stands. They have a single pillar model that I think would be enough for the OML1's. What I think would be the advantages of a rigid welded stand is better coupling of speaker to stand and then to floor. When the speaker is on a rigid platform I think imaging would improve. One reviewer thinks that a stand with a narrow profile is better since the sound will not be reflected by the stand.

Due to my enthusiasm for the sound of my system using the Rocket 44's the only thing I could possibly need would be speaker stands that are more rigid. Anyone wanting to share experiences with upgraded stands.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    Most of the welded metal stands allow for filling with sand or lead shot.

My HT rears are on 36" Sanus wood stands so other than that I don't have much to offer since my 50" Clearfields won't fit on any.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I love my JAS stands that are supporting my Usher X-719's. They have a marble base and solid wood upright. With these babies you get the stability of filling them with lead shot without the mess.

Name:  JAS Speaker Stand.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  accessories_jas_SP_MBA.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  2.2 KB

Oh and by the way Mr "I'm not going to change anything and enjoy the music" it did take you a whole 6 days to tweak or doesn't this count cause you're just talking about it.

Not to get you riled up on anything, but the guys over at AudioAsylum are dissing your amp. You might want to go over there and defend her honor.
    Last edited by Jack in Wilmington; 08-23-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post

Oh and by the way Mr "I'm not going to change anything and enjoy the music" it did take you a whole 6 days to tweak or doesn't this count cause you're just talking about it.

Not to get you riled up on anything, but the guys over at AudioAsylum are dissing your amp. You might want to go over there and defend her honor.

LOL I meant I would not be switching speakers, cables and I am glad the Krell is back. I do not think of stands as sound generating devices. Since I am so happy with the system I just wanted to treat my speakers with better stands.

I will check out AudioAsylum and their comments about the Krell. One thing I have noticed about criticism of the S-300i is from folks who have heard earlier Krell int. amps and assume it sounds like the previous models. You know how fond I am of those who criticize a product they have never heard.

Your stands look very nice but since my listening room is also the living room and I am decor concious a simple black stand will work best.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well I went to AA and it was interesting and it was not. A member asking about switching from tube separates to a solid state int. amp. Of course that was bound to have the tube fans knock the thought of switching to SS. I did not read where anyone had heard the amp. One of our members said the amp was not reliable. The amp did develop a noise issue which Krell quickly fixed but the amp never stopped working. Later when I tried a bi-wire cable and blew out a channel due to a miswired cable this was not a problem with the Krell. Of course the fact that Krell still repaired it under warranty with no cost to me says a lot about the company.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

JM....the Skylan or target stands may be what you want. Grant Fidelity has the Skylan... And you may have to search for the target stands....both have very good reps.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    JM....the Skylan or target stands may be what you want. Grant Fidelity has the Skylan... And you may have to search for the target stands....both have very good reps.

The Skylan and Target stands have a fairly wide profile that I was trying to avoid. This is the stand I am interested in for my speakers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Charm Thai™
    The Swans D Stand are the best I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    The Swans D Stand are the best I've ever owned.

They look nice and I am glad you like them but they are a little more than what I am looking for. I also want a solid metal stand that is welded to be very rigid.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Charm Thai™
    Ah I see, yeah these are wood and aren't the slimmest things in the world so they probably aren't right for you are looking for.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I love my JAS stands that are supporting my Usher X-719's. They have a marble base and solid wood upright. With these babies you get the stability of filling them with lead shot without the mess.

Name:  JAS Speaker Stand.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  36.5 KB
    I saw those at Quest, which is most likely where you got them right? I was listening to the JAS Oriors they had on them through all the Granite gear. WOW!

You failed to mention that they are height adjustable also and look great in person.

How much were they if you don't mind?

Forum Regular

DIY TNT Stubby

These DIY stands are popular on many forums. PVC tubes filled with sand or lead shot make them very heavy and stable for a fraction of the price of commercial stands. Spikes are easily added for carpet.

Suspended
    The Paradigm Premier J Series have always been my favorites. Welded steel, powder-coated finish, hollow to allow for mass loading. I use a combination of playground sand and lead shot. The lead seems to deaden any resonance. Very solid and heavy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speaker Stands-paradigm-premier-j-series.jpg  

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I saw those at Quest, which is most likely where you got them right? I was listening to the JAS Oriors they had on them through all the Granite gear. WOW!

You failed to mention that they are height adjustable also and look great in person.

How much were they if you don't mind?
    I think Steve charged me $400, but it's been awhile. I did forget to mention that they were adjustable. I found them to be just the right height with my Ushers so they didn't need adjusting. He had a pair of JAS speakers on them, but I don't remember the model. They had a heavy metal screen over the drivers for protection I guess.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Woochifer uses Sound Anchors, you may want to pm him.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed View Post
    Woochifer uses Sound Anchors, you may want to pm him.

Thanks, I will.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

JM...have you seen these stands?

DIY bookshelf speakers (sonus faber like)(Scanspeak/Tangband) - YouTube

This is the company...Norstone - Speaker stands
    But they have no distributor in the USA.

But they can be had from Ebay

NORSTONE STYLUM 2 COPPIA STAND PER DIFFUSORI NUOVI | eBay

And I like these.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    JM...have you seen these stands?

This is the company...
    But they have no distributor in the USA.

But they can be had from Ebay

And I like these.

They look interesting but I could not tell if they are welded stands or ones I would need to assemble. I really want stands that arrive welded together as one solid structure. I think the stands will be less resonant with all parts welded together than screwed together. As I know the vibrations can cause screws to loosen. Hell I have a few loose screws myself.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Have you ever used sand or cat litter or shot in any of your stands? The stands you sent me....I filled with cat litter and I will be putting them on a thin wood platform to stable them. I could tell the difference one filled with cat litter.

Naw...they look screwed together.

Forum Regular
    When I use sand I mix it with cat litter to absorb any moisture. Bags of lead shot work as well.

I pulled out my Sanus EF stands which are single pillar and I was thinking about having them welded. I thought if the column was welded to the bass plate and top plate I could hear any possible improvement in them. It was then I discovered that neither my SF22 stands nor my EF24 stands are true to size. The 22 inch stands with spikes in the top plate are 21.5 inches and the 24 inch stands are a little over 25 inches. Not much difference but if I order the Sound Anchor single pillar stand I think I will split the difference and order the 23 inch stands, if true to size.

Even welded the EF stands are fairly light and no way to add mass since the column is open at both ends for speaker wire. I think I have myself talked into the Sound Anchors.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    I wonder if metal speaker stands like driver frames are subject to ringing at certain frequencies?

If you are looking at Sound Anchor stands then I'm not sure if any other stands are quite like them.

I've got a pair of Kudos S50 speaker stands. I believe you can unscrew the top plate, which is where you'd poor in your cat litter or whatever you want to use to fill the stands. Other than that I think the stand comes assembled in one piece. A dealer did the filling for me. Basically filled the stand to where any ringing stopped when he tapped on it. Sound improved dramatically vs. what I used earlier, and the speaker is very well reviewed.

Kudos S50 speaker stands
    Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

YBArcam....can you post a picture if the Kudos S50 stands with your speaker on them? And what size are they? I assume one can purchase these in the States? BTW have you heard Kudos speakers? I heard them a few years ago.....not bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information