Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Speaker Stands

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    In my search for speaker stands I found a pair that I find visually interesting but not what I really want. I do think the top plate is welded to the supports but the base is bolted together. Just thought it would be fun to show them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speaker Stands-x494sp224-f-bello.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    YBArcam....can you post a picture if the Kudos S50 stands with your speaker on them? And what size are they? I assume one can purchase these in the States? BTW have you heard Kudos speakers? I heard them a few years ago.....not bad.
    Not sure if they are available in the U.S. They stand at 24" high. I have not heard a pair of Kudos speakers. A couple of dealers here carry them. They are supposed to match nicely with Naim gear but they are more than I'd like to spend at this time.

Here are a couple of pictures (taken with my cellphone so the quality isn't the best):

Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

Ok thanks....they look like nice solid stands. Did you get different speakers? What happen to your other speakers? How do you like the Wharfedales?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I have been through a few speakers lately (what else is new?!). Had a set of Castle Avon floorstanders, which I liked. Moved onto a pair of PMC TB2i, which were (as expected) a better speaker. The main thing for me was they were more natural sounding, giving music and voice appropriate weight and body.

The PMC's aren't cheap though, and I guess I just did not want to have so much money tied up in my speakers. I generally think that quality costs money, but there is a balance, and there are some great values out there. I took a chance on the Wharfedales and they are actually surprisingly good for the money, giving me a lot of what the PMC's do. They don't go quite as low and they do not sound as clear and open, but they do a good job with tone and timing and the tweeter/woofer integration sounds pretty good. They convinced me that I could sell the PMCs and still be happy.

If I stick with passive speakers I will likely build my own (or do a kit). I like the Wharfedales but I would like something that digs a little deeper. Building my own speakers will allow me to choose from many different drivers/crossovers/enclosures, and hopefully finish with something that competes with speakers that cost significantly more at retail.
    Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

I have found the Bell'o stands at well under $100 a pair. I am thinking about ordering a pair until I decide on ultimate stands. $300 to $400 a pair for stands is not bad if I am going to use them long term. It would be nice to have a welded speaker stand unless it is too tall or short for my current speakers.

I am curious what the dissimilar uprights would contribute to the sound along with the wider base than most speaker stands. The top is welded to the uprights and the base is bolted together. There is no way to add mass but they can support speakers up to 100 pounds so they must be strong.

Oh and they have more style than many stands. If I decide I do not like them back in the walk in closet until someone needs them.

I can order the Sound Anchors at any height and I think the 23 inch stands would work for my speakers. Since they have an angled baffle I do not need them as hogh as similarly sized speakers.

Oh well for now I am going for style.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I did buy a pair of Bell'O stands for fun. The stands are more rigid than the Sanus EF 24 stands. The EF stands use a single pillar and the SP224's use a rectangular and round uprights. The uprights are welded to the top plate and they are bolted to the base at two different posts.

Most of the weight of the stands is in the base. The base is larger than both the Sanus EF24 and the Pangea 3 pillar stands. The stands have good carpet piercing spikes that are adjustable. The Bell'O stands are more rigid than the Sanus EF. If I bumped the speakers on the Sanus EF's the speaker would sway on the single pillar. I intentionally bumped the speakers on the Bell'O stands and there was minimal movement and it stopped more quickly than the Sanus would recover. The Pangea stands while a rigid 3 pillar stand did not have sharp enough spikes to pierce carpet and couple with the floor. The Pangeas would sway due to not being able to make contact with the floor.

The Bell'o stands are very good budget stands. Easy to assemble with more style than many. The stands are a true 24 inch height. They are available on-line for less than $100.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Bell'O speaker stands are the stands that will remain in my current system. They are the fourth pair of stands in the $100 range. In the future I am going to have the base welded to the uprights along with the bolts used in assembly.

I had trouble making a decision on stands in the $300-400 range. I purchased the OML1's on clearance for $650 and the idea of paying around half the purchase price for stands did not appeal to me when it was time to pry open the wallet. Now if I bought a pair of Reference 3A de Cappo's or the Joseph Audio standmount model in the $2,300-2,500 range I would have no problem parting with the cash. I would also see myself buying expensive stands now and they not being the right height for new speakers. I would not want to buy another pair in the $300-400 range.

So now my system is set and I only have to enjoy the musIc.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    The Bell'O speaker stands are the stands that will remain in my current system. They are the fourth pair of stands in the $100 range. In the future I am going to have the base welded to the uprights along with the bolts used in assembly.

I had trouble making a decision on stands in the $300-400 range. I purchased the OML1's on clearance for $650 and the idea of paying around half the purchase price for stands did not appeal to me when it was time to pry open the wallet. Now if I bought a pair of Reference 3A de Cappo's or the Joseph Audio standmount model in the $2,300-2,500 range I would have no problem parting with the cash. I would also see myself buying expensive stands now and they not being the right height for new speakers. I would not want to buy another pair in the $300-400 range.

So now my system is set and I only have to enjoy the musIc.
    thank you JM. You have helped me to decide on stands for my Vento 830.2 speakers. I was waffling on wether to get the matching stands which cost $500 but your reasoning makes much sense. Seeing the Vento's retail for $2400 the $500 stands should do well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

In my search for speaker stands I found a pair that I find visually interesting but not what I really want. I do think the top plate is welded to the supports but the base is bolted together. Just thought it would be fun to show them.
    jM are these the stands you are buying?

jM are these the stands you are buying?

Yes I have been using them for several days now. Nice rigid stands and a true 24 inches. The base is heavy and along with the spikes couples to the floor through the carpet solidly. Very nice for the money.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Got some pics with your speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I love my JAS stands that are supporting my Usher X-719's. They have a marble base and solid wood upright. With these babies you get the stability of filling them with lead shot without the mess.

Attachment 8811

Attachment 8812

Oh and by the way Mr "I'm not going to change anything and enjoy the music" it did take you a whole 6 days to tweak or doesn't this count cause you're just talking about it.

Not to get you riled up on anything, but the guys over at AudioAsylum are dissing your amp. You might want to go over there and defend her honor.
    Where did you get those stands? I like the look; it kinda has a bauhaus look to it. Is it somewhere in L.A. assuming that "Wilmington" is the city near Long Beach.
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

I'm in the same boat. Got a new pair of bookshelf speakers and my current stands are not cutting it. I am not sure where to look either, but these suggestions are informative. I might make my own, although the welded kind are tempting.
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    Where did you get those stands? I like the look; it kinda has a bauhaus look to it. Is it somewhere in L.A. assuming that "Wilmington" is the city near Long Beach.
    Sorry, try the other coast. You can check out their stands at JAS Speakers. I got mine at Quest for Sound in Pa.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Got some pics with your speakers.

Here they are if you can see them. I will only see a red X.

If I had a dedicated room for my system I would have more massive stands. Since my system is in my living room I wanted sturdy stands with minimal profile. Even the Sanus SF 22 inch stands took up a lot of visual space due to the large bases. The open looking base and curve of the front column of the Bell'O stands make them less visually obtrusive. I just realized I am my own WAF. Good sound and design are important to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speaker Stands-001-smaller.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Charm Thai™
    Looks good JM. I definitely see what you mean now about wanting something less obtrusive. The bases give them the impression of taking up less space than they really do.

Nice JM......it seems like you have my old habit of not putting the CD's back after use...lol!

Nice JM......it seems like you have my old habit of not putting the CD's back after use...lol!

Guilty as charged. My system is sounding good and I pulled out a lot of cd's I have not listened to in too long a time. I have had some surprises that some cd's are sounding better than I remember.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Sorry, try the other coast. You can check out their stands at JAS Speakers. I got mine at Quest for Sound in Pa.

I checked out the stores site and would love to pay the store a visit. They have an amazing selection of speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I checked out the stores site and would love to pay the store a visit. They have an amazing selection of speakers.
    They do have a lot of speakers to chose from. If you decide to make the trip east, I'm sure myself or HyFi would love to show you around. We both know the store owner. I've bought a few things there, including my Usher speakers. We could even take you to see the ocean.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

They do have a lot of speakers to chose from. If you decide to make the trip east, I'm sure myself or HyFi would love to show you around. We both know the store owner. I've bought a few things there, including my Usher speakers. We could even take you to see the ocean.

A few of us AR folks met in Chicago so it would be good to have another get together. It would be great to get a hotel room close by and meet for some audio shopping and some live music. Time for another AR meeting.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

3db
    Forum Regular

not exactly speaker stands but speaker mounts

I recently found a single used Image 1B at a used stereo shop. I talked the owner down $30 off the asking price picking it up for $50. Now I have a 6.1 system and it matched the rest of my PSB system.

Here are some pics ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speaker Stands-img-20120829-00027.jpg   Speaker Stands-img-20120901-00034.jpg   Speaker Stands-img-20120901-00035.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information