Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Rega RP1 VS Pro-Ject NEW to the forum

Hello guys,

I am new to this forum and a bit new to the audiophile community.

Here is my situation.

I wanted to buy the best TT under my budget which is tops 500$. I know it wont be high end but i cant afford more and i believe that this will be a good start to go vinyl.

So i ve decided that under this budget the best TT is either a Rega RP1 or a Pro-ject (havent decided which model) .

do you have any other recommendations ?

Another thing so far is choosing a good amplifier for my TT. Budget should be between 200$-400$ tops.

So far i have my beloved Beyerdynamics DT 880 (250ohm) along with a cheap headphone amplifier (BRAVO AUDIO OCEAN tube amp) which i am very satisfied. I connect them to my imac and play FLAC files and this is the best that i can get as far as audiofidelity is concerned ( I told you i am new again to this audiophile community so any recommendation would be greatly appreciated )

I also have my B&W MM1 which i absolutely LOVE . I am obsessed with these speakers and i love them ( i would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone) which i connect them to my imac via usb.

Thats all i have and i recently decided to go vinyl. As i said i have a budget of 500$ for the best TT i could get and a top 400$ budget for an AMP.

I do not have any speakers besides my MM1 so i would mostly play my vinyl through my Beyers DT880 (through the headphone amp ) and my MM1s (through a AUX ? )

I wanted to thank you in advance in any advice that you give me and thank you for your time and expertise on this .

Best regards

Teo

There are a few Rega fans here that would recommend the RP1. I would call the needle doctor and see what they recommend, the RP1 or the Pro ject Debut.

Turntables - Turntable

But this review rates the Pro-Ject better than the Rega RP1-

Inexpensive Audiophile Turntables: The Rega P1 and Pro-ject Debut III

Note that the new Debut is an upgrade over the Debut III
    Last edited by blackraven; 03-10-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your precious answer. I must say that from reviews RP1 seem to be a little better but i dont think i would notice a difference as i am totally new to the vinyl stuff.

I am more worried about the basic stuff though. I have the MM1s (only speakers that i have ) and i have my Beyers with the headphone amp (bravo ocean tube amp).

Do i need an amp to play my vinyls on my headphones or i just connect the headphone amp to the RP1 and my headphones and i am done? ( from what i have read so far ill probably need an amp too to connect it with the headphone amp and then to my Beyers)

I know that in order to play RP1 to the MM1s i would need an amp right ? what thes best one for RP1 ?

If i have misunderstood something here please feel free to correct me

thanks

You will need to connect both TT's to a phono preamp unless your headphone amp has one built in.

Phono Preamps

Don't skimp on the preamp, there are a few good budget phono preamps listed on the link above.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    I am new to this too, and loving it. It's crazy how good it is.

Anyway, I bought the Audio Technica 120E cartridge which I can highly recommend, you might want to research it as a possible candidate. Audio-Technica 120E Cartridge

Another one that people seem to like is the Ortofon 2m Red. Ortofon 2M Red Phono Cartridge

As for a phono preamp, I bought an ART USB Phono Plus which seems very good for the price. It also has a built in headphone amp. I can't think of money more well spent. ART USB Phono Plus

I'm sure others have recommendations too.

Forum Regular
    thank you both for the feedback. OK so it seems a bit more simple than i thought.

So i need to buy a phono pre amp in order to amplify the volume of the RP1 and then connect it with my headphone amp and finally to my headphones.

What about connecting the RP1 to my speakers (MM1 only has an AUX input) or maybe on my future speakers. Will i need a phono pre amp and then an amp ?

You need to connect the TT to a phono preamp (either free standing or built in to your Stereo preamp, receiver or integrated amp), then to a stereo preamp which connects to your amp and then to your speakers.

I am assuming that your speakers are powered (have their own built in amp). If so, then the phono preamp would go to your preamp and then to the speakers.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    The simplest solution, if you get the ART phono pre-amp that I suggested, is to connect the RP1 to the ART and then plug your headphones into the ART too (it has a headphone amp with volume control). It you prefer your headphone amp, then plug that amp into the ART and you're done.

Regardless of which phono preamp you get: you can do the following...

If you want to switch between your headphones and speakers you could use an A/V switcher. I bought one to switch input to my amp and it works very well with no signal degradation. Amazon.com: RCA DT902AV 2-Way A/V Switcher: Electronics

If you get this, you run a wire from the phono pre-amp out to the input of this switch. This switch has two outputs. From one output - run a wire to your headphone amp, then run the other output of the switch to your speakers. The wire to your speaker will probably need a RCA to miniplug cable. Like this: Amazon.com: Belkin PureAV Miniplug to RCA Y Audio Cable-7 Feet: Electronics

that is your lowest cost options...

Forum Regular
    thanks for your precious anwers .

will this be a good audiophile phono pre amp ?

Cambridge Audio - Azur 551P - MM Phono Preamplifier - Black

Its quite affordable so i may consider buying it.

As BlacRaven suggested I connect the TT (with RCA cable) to the phono pre amp (Cambrige 551 lets say ) and from the phono pre amp with RCA cables to my headphone amp (Ocean bravo ) and then to my headphones . Right ?

As far as scenario 2 is concerned which is that i want to play through my speakers MM1s it goes like this : TT->phono pre amp -> Stero Pre amp -> Amp -> Speakers

Thats too many amps haha . So i have to buy a Stereo Pre Amp and an Amp too to play throguh my speakers ?

I am kind of confused cause i thought it goes TT->phono pre amp -> Amp ->speakers (and if my MM1 have built in amp,which i have to make sure, i dont even need the amp )

thats if i dont go with the ART usb phono pre amp

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiophileNewbie View Post
    thanks for your precious anwers .

will this be a good audiophile phono pre amp ?

Cambridge Audio - Azur 551P - MM Phono Preamplifier - Black

Its quite affordable so i may consider buying it.

As BlacRaven suggested I connect the TT (with RCA cable) to the phono pre amp (Cambrige 551 lets say ) and from the phono pre amp with RCA cables to my headphone amp (Ocean bravo ) and then to my headphones . Right ?

As far as scenario 2 is concerned which is that i want to play through my speakers MM1s it goes like this : TT->phono pre amp -> Stero Pre amp -> Amp -> Speakers

Thats too many amps haha . So i have to buy a Stereo Pre Amp and an Amp too to play throguh my speakers ?

I am kind of confused cause i thought it goes TT->phono pre amp -> Amp ->speakers (and if my MM1 have built in amp,which i have to make sure, i dont even need the amp )

thats if i dont go with the ART usb phono pre amp

The Cambridge phono preamp is a good preamp and should please over the long run. I am a Rega fan so I suggest their turntable. Down the road there are modifications you can do to increase performance.

Yes plug the table into the Cambridge inputs and the outputs to your headphone amp. If you have speakers with built in amps you would not need a power amp. Sounds to me like all you would need is the turntable, Cambridge 551P and a set of IC's from phono preamp to headphone amp.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    thanks for the answer.

well as of today i bought the RP1 white for 350euros shipping included ( 450$.) Dont know if it was a good purchase but i t certainly was the cheapest one i could find including shipping.

What kind of modifications do you mean , changing the belt ? or the platter (acrylic ) or the cartridge to Ortofon 2m ? Is the platter or the belt upgrade for performances purposes or just for the design because i dont know how an acrylic platter would change the performance of playing . but again i am totally new so i wouldnt know .

Also one other thing that i read about the RP1 . Do they have this wobble effect and how does it influence its performance ? Is it normal cause i have heard a lot of people talk about this wobble .

Also should i consider the Cambrige 651 which has both MM and MC options ? I dont know what this is exactly (i will search it later ) but would you suggest this pre amp in case i later decide to switch to an MC cartridge (for any reason that i dont know yet lol )
    Also this Cambridge 651p is better than the 551p as far as performance is concerned ?

Its in my budget top ( ammount that i would give ) but for the reasons above i may consider spending 80$ more in obtaining the 651p instead of 551p.

Its ok about playing through my headphones . I totally understood it and i cant thank you enough .

But what about the speakers. I believe the MM1 s have built in amp so would i need an Stereo pre amp too?? or just connect the phono pre amp with the speakers and i am done ?

I am sorry totally noob here , whats the IC s ?

thanks for understading and helping me !

IC's are RCA interconnect cables-

Analog Interconnects

Buy some decent IC's as they do affect sound. You may also need Phono IC's (tone arm cables) to connect the RP1 to the phono preamp unless your Rega comes with a cheap pair.

Mods for your Rega include upgrading the tone arm, sub platter and platter, speed controller. Before considering any of these mods, consider upgrading to a better cartridge like the Ortofon 2m, AT120 or AT440ML.

For now I suggest getting the better phono preamp and see how you like the TT and sound. Then when you have the money, upgrade to a better cartridge.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Sorry IC's are abbreviation for interconnects which are the wires with rca jacks on the ends to connect the phono preamp with the headphone amp for listening to records through your headphones.

MC stand for a low output phono cartridge usually using a moving coil to generate a low voltage. The lower the voltage the more gain is needed from the phono preamp. They generally do not have interchangeable stylus. Since you are just starting out and with budget restrictions I would stick with a MM phono cartridge. They are generally higher output and will mate well with the 551P. Another benefit with a MM cartridge is if you bend or break the cantilever that holds the stylus you can buy a new stylus/needle for less than the cost of the entire cartridge. Once the stylus has worn you can replace just that assembly without removing the cartridge.

I have heard about the wobble but I have not used an RP1. I would not worry too much about it and if yours does have an excessive amount of wobble I would exchange it. Some find the plastic subplatter has a little wobble. I think it is more visual than audible.

Most dealers have the performance pack to improve the RP1's performance. Here is a link to Rega's information of the Performance Pack. You do not need that to enjoy the table. These are for boosting performance. I would buy the basic table and in time step up with the PP.

Rega RP1 Perfomance pack

I am not sure how you are using your speakers currently so I cannot help much but if you are using a computer for a source there are more knowledgeable folks than me. I am sure there is a way to interface. You may need a phono preamp with a USB output to the computer. NAD makes one as does a few other manufactures at not much cost. My computer is in the bedroom and my system in the living room and never have the two interfaced.

Rega Fono Mini

The nice thing about the Rega is the cartridge will be factory installed and the tracking force easily set. It will not require a lot of skills to begin play. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    I cant thank you enough for all the help /time/effort on bringing these answers.

A whole new exciting world is opening ahead of me. I will have to search each detail on your answers in order to understand more about these things (MC, cantilever etc).

To answer as to my current setup .

I play my music (currently only FLAC ) from my imac which is connected through an AUX cable through my Ocean tube amp and i connect my beyers to the headphone amp .

As to my speakers i only connect my MM1s to the imac through USB and since it has a built in DAC and Amp i enjoy my music.

I want to setup the TT totally seperate from any computer . The plan is to set it up next to my computer so i can easily switch/connect the headphone amp or my speakers (though it has only AUX input or USB , so USB is not an option ) to my pre amp or pre amp and stereo pre amp respectively.

The question still remains though . In orer to connect my speakers MM1 ( which have as inputs AUX or USB ) which have a built in Amp , would i still need a stereo pre amp or anything more than the phono pre amp in order to play my table (BlackRaven suggested that i should have TT->phono pre amp -> stereo pre amp-> amp -> speakers )

I cant thank you enough for all the help /time/effort on bringing these answers.

A whole new exciting world is opening ahead of me. I will have to search each detail on your answers in order to understand more about these things (MC, cantilever etc).

To answer as to my current setup .

I play my music (currently only FLAC ) from my imac which is connected through an AUX cable through my Ocean tube amp and i connect my beyers to the headphone amp .

As to my speakers i only connect my MM1s to the imac through USB and since it has a built in DAC and Amp i enjoy my music.

I want to setup the TT totally seperate from any computer . The plan is to set it up next to my computer so i can easily switch/connect the headphone amp or my speakers (though it has only AUX input or USB , so USB is not an option ) to my pre amp or pre amp and stereo pre amp respectively.

The question still remains though . In orer to connect my speakers MM1 ( which have as inputs AUX or USB ) which have a built in Amp , would i still need a stereo pre amp or anything more than the phono pre amp in order to play my table (BlackRaven suggested that i should have TT->phono pre amp -> stereo pre amp-> amp -> speakers )

Here is an example of integrated amps that have a phono preamp, preamp and power amp in one chasis. You would plug the turntable into the phono input and use the line out for your MM1 speakers. Later if you wanted other speakers that do not have built in amps such as larger B&W speakers you would hook them up to the speaker outputs.

Affordable Integrateds (with phono!) | Stereophile.com

There are a lot of options so it is good you are doing some research first.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Thanks i will do my research first and then decide. Ill probably go for the integrated amp so i have everything i need .Thank you so much for the help .

Wil definitely recommend this forum to my friends

Forum Regular
    What about this ? Denon PMA-710AE . Has anyone heard reviews or has this specific integrated amp ?

Will this be ok if i decide late to upgrade my speakers ?

What about this ? Denon PMA-710AE . Has anyone heard reviews or has this specific integrated amp ?

Will this be ok if i decide late to upgrade my speakers ?

It has a phono preamp and a pre out so it would work with your current set-up. Later it could power larger unamplified speakers.

Denon DCD-710AE review from the experts at whathifi.com
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Hello again guys .

I just installed the RP1 with the Denon 710AE and connected my Beyers Dt880

I must say that i run into some problems and here comes your precious knowledge .

I have to list what i experienced and maybe you can answer shortly what i have done wrong.

I must clarify that i have a SECOND hand RP1 perfromance pack ( previous owner only used it a few times ) in case that will help.

and FIRST of ALL excuse me for stupid questions/or the non expert vocabulary i use below

1) When i put the vinyl on the platter and i am picking up the tone arm to put it on the side of the vinyl and push the metal thing down so the cartridge can touch the vinyl , the tone arm doesnt actually stay stable but leans continuously to the right (the cartridge acctually misses the vinyl and comes outside of the platter) of the vinyl ? Is this normal ? what have i done wrong ?

2) Although in the instructions Rega tells that the TT does not need a signal grounding (the tonearm cable doesnt have a grounding cable) when i put my headphones and turn on the Denon i keep hearing a continuous buzzing noise ,with a clicking noise every 2 seconds ,and when i touch the tone arm with my hand the buzzing noise and the clicking noise gets louder. Whats wrong with that . Is it indeed the grounding problem or anything else? How should i fix it if the tonearm cable doesnt include a grounding cable, sould i buy a new one ?

3) When i have turned on the Denon and pick up the tone arm and move it in the air , i keep hearing hissing/crackling noise . Is this normal ? I mean i havent even put it on the vinyl and keep hearing that distinct noise in my headphones . Is it because i purchased a second hand RP1 and the cartrige (performance pack so it has a Rega Bias 2 cartridge ) is somehow broken or has picked up dust or another reason ?

4)I put on some Beatles (which i bought as a test the TT) second hand 12 $ and it was not in such a good state ( but no scratches , just dust) . I put it on and i must say that i didnt enjoy at all the sound coming in from my Beyers. Lots of hiss/crackle noise and i actually observed the cartridge gather some dust/little fibers on the needle. And i must say that the noise wasnt so good compared with my FLAC MFSL Beatles box set (downloaded) sound. I know these two cannot compare actually because you would say that i should buy the MFSL box set and compare it with my FLAC files but how can i reduce the hiss/crackle noise coming in from my vinyl ( or cartridge , my 3d point above) . ( probably stupid question but any insight would be grately appreciated )

5th) I put on my brand new never before touched limited edition LP of Elektra Records compilation and i must say that i was astonished by the sound. Really really great sound BUT the hiss/crackle when the song ended could be heard. So 2nd stupid question , can this be eliminated or is this totally normal ? Is it again my cartridge fault ?

Thats all for now and i hope to hear from you soon . Thank you very much in advance and sorry for the vocabulary i use and and possibly silly questions

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    1) first problem you mention sounds like an anti-skate problem. Experiment with your tonearm anti-skate adjustment. The paperwork that came with the turntable should tell you how to adjust it. Anti-skate is self-explanatory. It's the force that keeps the tonearm from taking off toward the label on the record. If the tonearm goes away from the record as you describe then too much anti-skate force is being applied.

That's it from me tonight. It's been a long week.

Forum Regular
    thanks for the answer. Well the instructions that told me to set it how i have it now , caused the problem . With the instructions the tone arm tracks to the right . If i set the bias one click down (1 ) it stops tracking to right or left . So i think problem 1 is solved . So the instructions were misleading . .

A 6th prblem and a final one )

Between songs i can hear the start of the new song in a very low level and then after 2-3 seconds i can hear the actual song . What the hell is this again ? Is this normal?

If i dont fix my 5 problems (from 6 ) i cant get the satisfaction i want from my RP1

Please if you have the time let me know.

I would consider taking the TT and all the gear except the speakers into an Audio shop and let them check it out and adjust the TT properly. Also, did you buy the TT used?
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    hello and thanks , this option is the worst cse scenario/last option for me unfortunately.

Yes the TT is used but the seller only used it very few times. ( and i have reasons to believe him )

Forum Regular
    about the problem 2 , i am still hear a continuous buzz when i have the TT connected to the Denon , when i play my records i cannot hear it but its pretty frustrating. I assume that this is due to non grounding it and the cable that come with the Rega doesnt have a rounding cable.

I already wanted to purchase a new/good tonearm cable because you suggested it will have a difference in the sound quality , but i see that all tone arms are pretty expensive ( hell there is one cable for 2000-2500$ lol ) . so any good suggestions above the 60$ budget ?

I am also concerned about problem 3 . does it happen to you ? Moving the tonearm in the air and hearing some crackles and hisses ?

You should have a grounding cable for the TT. But here is a discussion on your humm or buzz problem. It makes me think that this is the reason the guy sold it to your. It seems that this has been a problem with this TT.

Hum/buzz problem with my new Rega RP1 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Try moving the power supply of the phono preamp to anouther electrical circuit with an extension cord of good quality and thickness and see if this fixes the problem like the discussion recommends.

Take a look at Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices for cables

They sell high qulaity cables at budget prices. I use them in my reference system.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP