Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    RR6: Me... prostitute my Principal* fer music...? ME?!

Oh, okay! If I must!

Um...(ahem!)....Andrea Bocelli, anyone...?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Aren't you a happily married man?
    Last edited by audio amateur; 03-30-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Oh, come on!! He's very, very good...but what about Ramazzotti or Zucherro?

Try these on for size...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBmAUlF7Woo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJee0gu7USc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZIoxw0ca9E

Yes, occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    For the classical buffs: Anyone actually enjoy Olivier Messiaen?
    He's not a favorite by any means and my collection is small. However I very much enjoy his Quatuor pour la fin du temps, ("Quartet for the End of Time", for violin, cello, clarinet & piano), from time to time.

Ok, whatever I have of him I really don't like. It's some of the most bizar stuff i've ever heard. More bizar than Pink Floyd, that's how bizar it is
    It goes all over the place, it's very 'spasmic' at times and there's no melody to speak of.
    The works I have are Eclair sur l'au dela (orchestra) and Banquet Celeste (organ).
    I just can't listen to either..

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Kenny G plays 5 notes and he plays all five perfectly - his music puts me to sleep - but that ain't so bad if you want to be put to sleep - and strangely it seems to be turn on music for a number of women so I keep a Kenny G album around.

I have to agree with the OP on Clapton - I prefer guitarists like Wes Montgomery (who) and frankly - Santana.

I'd like Dylan more if someone else was singing - the man can't sing - and listening to a mumbler buthering some fine lyrics is rough.
    We might not agree on gear but on musicians we have a winner. I have 2 Kenny G Cd's only because women like him. I don't understand why, but he puts them in the right mood. With Dylan his writing ability is the only thing I have ever liked. Clapton has always sounded to me like a good teacher trying to give a lesson. You know the old saying.
    Wes and Carlos, right on!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

There's a whole collection of Vegas stars, Wayne Newton, Englebert Humperdinck Tom Jones, Not to be outdone, female too, Celene Dion, Dianna Krall and others I can't think of without more effort than they deserve.

Live elevator music.

Let's not forget a whole tribe of Disney pedophile bait. All overdubbed and hidden by instruments or a chorus, sad. Lots of skin and tight jeans, and I'm talking about the boys as much as the girls.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I am also a hapless romantic.
    I'm a helpless romantic.

Romantics

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    JM, you poor, hopeless romantic!

I was looking to get a rise outta you guys.....But geeze! This is a reaction that was hardly expected. Still, his Piano Concerto No. 1 is pretty dern unbearable....

Okay, how about....
    Those girly-men Romantics!!

Speaking of classical music, of course, I nominate the whole Romantic era as overrated.

Tchaikovsky's compositions are typically overblown, but IMHO he isn't the worst culprit. When it comes to wallowing in sentimentality, Robert Schumann takes the cake. For overblown pomposity (not to mention dirge-like repetion) Anton Bruckner is your man.

Then there is Johannes Brahms, poor man, a Classicist trapped in the Romanitic area. Too bad: with his huge technical skill and craftsmanship he'd have a great 20th century composer, or for that matter, 18th century. But in the 19th? So sad, too bad.

Interesting topic...

Clapton doesn't bother me as much as some other's over the years. At least Clapton pays homage to the roots of the music. To me there's a fundamental difference in semantics here. Some folks confuse "overated" or "overhyped" with "lame". Wayne Newton and Paul Anka aren't overated, they're just lame. New Kids on the Block, N'Synch and The Butt Street Boys weren't overated just over hyped and lame.

In my lexicon overated are performers or artists that brew up their own special brand of narcisstic (sp) Kool Aid and then try and sell it to you. I've a little list of my own.

1. Eddie Van Halen - Never since Jimmy Page has there been a more puffed up, self absorbed, self indulgent guitar player. He single handedly ruined an entire generation of guitar players turning them into grandstanding pick weilding noodlers. Then the bastard has the nerve to turn his back on his audience so that other erstwhile hacks can't steal his special noodling technique. I loathe guitar players like him with every fibre of my being.

2. Lynrd Skynrd - I remember when these guys burst on the scene over 30 years ago. The original Poster boys for Southern Pride, predjudice and pomposity. 20 minute double guitar solo's at paint peeling decible levels with all the feel of toaster oven. And a propensity for stating the obvious. For all those who say "they weren't racists" I say bull****. In "Sweet Home Selling Chicken" they made it clear that they loved Governor George Wallace and all he stood for, with a clear concience. Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade. Still I do love some of their tunes. "I know a Little", "You Got That Right" and a couple of others are song's I've played with friends and enjoyed.

3. P' Diddy - Take all I've written about Skynrd and subtract the ability to play any instrument at all. This guy's not worthy to carry Chuck D's dirty jock. A complete mimic with questionable poetic ability and no stage presence at all. He single handedly represents all the worst elements Pop/Hip Hop. Final nail? His personal brand of champagne. Are you chittin' me?

4. Madonna - As a musician/artist she's an abomination. The only thing separating her from Tittany Spears is that she has a brain and an uncanny ability to re-invent herself on a regular basis. She is the first woman in my lifetime to so thoroughly manipulate the medium and the media to her own ends. Now if only that end were listenable music we'd have something.

5. The Beatles - I know I'll catch hell for this and would never post this in Rave Recs but I loathe the Liverpool God making machine that is Beatle Worship. Lennon and Sir Paul were two of the finest song writers ever produced., but they are NOT the ONLY ones. The wrote GREAT pop tunes before discovering acid and some interesting songs once they had their minds expanded but I for one don't buy them as the Alpha/Omega of popular music like many do. As I've stated previoulsy I hear more of James Browns influence in popular music than theirs and never found them to be all that relevant once their time was done.

Well that's my list, let the games begin.

Da Worfster

Bruce Springsteen. If I never have to listen to him slur another song like a drunken karaoke singer, life will be good.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Geeze, Herman! You have some issues, dude!

Anybody wanna put Jim Morrison on the list?

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Bruce Springsteen. If I never have to listen to him slur another song like a drunken karaoke singer, life will be good.
    Yes it will be! I can't stand the guy.

Interesting answer

Hey Worfster!
    I agree with everything you said. It takes courage to tell the truth about the Beatles. I've also thought that Lynrd Skynrd were racists. I've never mentioned it because of the backlash I'm certain you will receive for bringing it up. As for the rest of your nominees; I'm jealous I didn't say it first.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    My list, in no particular order.

1. Kenny G. I'll one up you all. I went to see him in concert. With the hopeful wish that what he does for women on CD would be amplified in real life. I can still hear that little flute he plays ringing in my ears, and my date so stupified with boredom that nothing occured that evening. Or several evenings afterward.

2. Yanni. I was dragged to 3 (THREE) concerts as my parents fell for his sclock after every appearance on Ophra. I'm not convinced that my father was a willing participant, as I am married now and realize the sacrifice we have to make to continue the marrige. But I'm not sure I will ever forgive him for forcing me (his son) to also have to go.

3. Stevie Nicks. Can't stand her. Everytime I hear either her, or Fleetwood Mac, I have the urge to shove 20 cigarettes down her throat until she is dead, dead, dead.

4. Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass. My first concert. As a wee lad of 12, I had visions of seeing KISS live. Mind you, I was living in Dubuque IA at the time. My parents wouldn't tell me who we were going to see, but it was a HUGE BAND. I was super excited. I should have realized after sitting my butt in one of I would guess 500 folding chairs, that it wasn't going to be KISS. Still holding out hope until some wrinkled old geezer came out blowing his horn. I still hate my parents a bit for that.

If I think of others, I'll let you know.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I did not expect this to be here but it's top on my list. He can't play a lick on the guitar, he just wears it on stage to appear he can play. He can't sing worth a dime yet he has one of the largest followings. I don't get it at all. The rest of his band is great and if they released an album without him, I might just like it.

You have to see Springsteen in concert to really appreciate him. He puts on a great show.
    I saw him I believe in 1976 New Years eve at the Nassau Colosseum and he player for 4 hours and it was awesome. He is much better live than on his albums. Just good rock n roll.
    Nobody has accused him of being a great musician or vocalist. He's a good song writer with a unique sound.

If you trash him, you have to throw Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Stephen Stills and many others.
    I can think of many more who are a lot worse.

I find ZZ Top top be annoying.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    You have to see Springsteen in concert to really appreciate him. He puts on a great show.
    I saw him I believe in 1976 New Years eve at the Nassau Colosseum and he player for 4 hours and it was awesome. He is much better live than on his albums. Just good rock n roll.
    Nobody has accused him of being a great musician or vocalist. He's a good song writer with a unique sound.

If you trash him, you have to throw Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Stephen Stills and many others.
    I can think of many more who are a lot worse.

I find ZZ Top top be annoying.
    I don't mind throwing them in there, along with Southside Johnny, while you're at it.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Geeze, Herman! You have some issues, dude!

Anybody wanna put Jim Morrison on the list?
    What, are you anti-pedophilephobic, or do you just really like Dianna Krall? ( )

Interesting that you mentioned South Side Johnny GM, because they were the opening act for that Springsteen concert that night.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    You have to see Springsteen...
    Ok, I will...

...though I must admit that I have found one or two Dylan discs that are worth a listen or two.

Worfster, I agree with your post a hundred percent and would add another reason to dislike Diddy: his predatory production and promotional practices. Ol' boy is gonna generate, literally, hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue and most of his staff will end up selling shoes or working in malls within five years.

Dylan is definitely over rated/hyped/whatever in my book. Gonna have to add Nora Jones to that list as well.

It's interesting how far this topic is reaching. It started with the most overrated musician of all time, but now it's a slamfest that even reaches such small potatoes as Norah Jones and Southside Johnny?

Cool

BOB DYLAN is difinitely one of the worst, if not THE worst so called "musican"
    of all time, only thing that saves him is that chinese guy that was on American Idol a few back.
    As for CLAPTON, if you havent seen him in action you are missing out.
    What he does with a guitar is beyond amazing, there is a clip of him playing "cocaine"
    on palladia, its truly amazing.
    As for the beetles, it was paul and john, the other two were in the right place at the right time.
    Listen to Band on the Run if you have any doubt about Pauls musical talents.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    It's interesting how far this topic is reaching. It started with the most overrated musician of all time, but now it's a slamfest that even reaches such small potatoes as Norah Jones and Southside Johnny?
    You've got a point. But I keep reading about reviewers saying 'on my Nora Jones cd these speakers' bla bla bla barf. So granted, you are right, but I've seen the name too much in text lately for my taste.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information