AR Newbie Registered Member

A midrange distortion problem

Hello!

I bought not long ago a very basic setup for my HT. It consists of Yamaha HTR-5730 receiver, 2 JBL's E80 and a E150 subwoofer. I noticed that JBLs are 6 ohms and the receiver specifies "6 ohms minimum", so all correct here. Also receiver delivers 100W per channel and the E80s rating is 100WRMS (400 peak) so no problem here either.
    Okey, so my first test was Matrix Reloaded In the middle of action (in especially loud explosion) the receiver cuts the power and displays "Check connections", I verified them they are all hooked properly... But the problem is that after that unfortunate accident the midrange speakers started to produce a noticable amount of distortion... But only the midrange ones! I always thought that the first to go will be the tweeters...
    So finally my question is: what is the problem? Should I remplace the midrange speakers? Or maybe it's the crossover that is burnt out?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you in advance!

A.H.I.

What exactly was the 'unfortunate accident'?

Basically, it sounds like you fried your speakers.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Did you unplug the reciever and let it reset,if thats what it will do?
    Look & Listen

"Unfortunate accident" refers to the "Check Cables" message (or something like that) and then the receiver's "black out"
    In fact I'm wondering how can you fry a speaker if the the speaker itself can handle 100W RMS (400W peak) and the receiver can only shoot 100W RMS? It wasn't turned up to the max either, I'd say maybe 70% of possible loudness.
    And why the midrange fried and not the tweeter which are far more fragile?

Once again thanks for your time

Do not even look at power ratings the receiver probably wasn't even putting out 100 watts, and the power rating of the JBL was just a comfortable number they gave it. Obviously the power rating will get lower if you play them full range, but that's not your problem here because your having problems with the midrange. I'm pretty sure you clipped the amp and it destroyed the midrange. I've been told clipping cannot hurt a sub, but I don't think it sticks true with midranges. The tweeter on those speakers probably had a fuse on it to keep it from getting damaged, so that would have cut out, and then soon after that. the signal fried the midrange. That's just my theory, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in and correct or agree with me. You have to know when to turn it down when it starts sounding bad, just cause the manufacterers wrote down those specs, there are many variables that get between them.

In fact it didn't sound bad at all, on the contrary it sounded very good
    And even now it sounds good, except some time it distorts (I'd say around 600-700hz)...
    So basically all I need to do is to change the midrange speakers?
    Or do I need to change the crossover too?
    Sorry to bother you all with that, but your help is very appreciated

odd.If it's just some frequencies I'd think the crossover. Hell even check your speaker connections, make sure they're tight on the amp and speaker. Make sure the speaker cable is in good condition as well. Other than that i have no idea.

Thread Information