Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Forum Regular
    "You're really not getting this, are you? I took advantage of your raising the point about boominess to illustrate the general principle of how there will more than likely be differing opinions about every subject that gets brought up here, and that everyone should be able to express their opinion and experience without getting belittled for it. I'm not interested in having a navel-gazingly specific discourse with you about the subject of boominess in this thread, because the subject of boominess is not the point, the principle of people being allowed to relate their experience is the point. If you weren't so busy trying to find things to argue about, you might have realized that."

I'm sorry, but anyone that posts an opinion in this forum--or any other forum--must be prepared for belittlement. It's the nature of the internet. Outright vicious personal attacks are also routine. If my skin was so thin that I couldn't bear up under such attacks, I wouldn't post here in the first place.
    Norm Strong [normanstrong@comcast.net]

Quote Originally Posted by ToddB
    If you have a problem with my taking issue with your subtle insults, even when they occur in the midst of a larger truism, then stop making the subtle insults. It's pretty easy to do.

You made the comments, you get to live with them.
    Subtle insults? You're the one that's been making some rather long presumptions and trying to use my posts as examples of larger problems on this board, even ones that are completely unrelated to what I've posted on this thread and maladies that are far from how I interact on this board. Building someone up as a straw man is a not-so-subtle insult in its own right, so if you want to set yourself up as an example of what's right on this board and how we ought to conduct ourselves, then maybe you should try a more diplomatic and constructive approach next time.

This is your OPINION. I gave you a specific example that differed from your opinion, and yet solved the problem. People are going to have different experiences that lead them to have different opinions. GET OVER IT.
    And I'm simply pointing out how your example does not suddenly contradict the point that I had made. People can and do have their opinions, and I have mine and I will give them.

You're really not getting this, are you? I took advantage of your raising the point about boominess to illustrate the general principle of how there will more than likely be differing opinions about every subject that gets brought up here, and that everyone should be able to express their opinion and experience without getting belittled for it. I'm not interested in having a navel-gazingly specific discourse with you about the subject of boominess in this thread, because the subject of boominess is not the point, the principle of people being allowed to relate their experience is the point. If you weren't so busy trying to find things to argue about, you might have realized that.
    And I don't think that you understand that the point that you brought up is unrelated to my example. You wonder how threads spin out of control? Misinterpreting and/or deliberately spinning a subject to one's particular bias, without addressing the main point is a pretty common way that it happens. It would be like me saying that a whale is bigger than a dog, and someone responding that a dog is big. What they say might be true in their view, but it doesn't address the main point, and I don't think it would be an insult to point out that saying a dog is big says nothing about how it compares to the whale.

Nowhere did I belittle your example or insult you for bringing it up, so I don't see how my response would be out of line in a normal discussion. I used the cable/room acoustics example because IMO the magnitude of difference between the two approaches is not even close -- whether you're talking about listening or measuring. Pointing that out and supporting my perspective with listenings, articles, and measurements does not equate to an insult or uncivil behavior. If someone has tried and understands both approaches and says that cables work better, then I don't take issue with that. But, if someone wants to just respond that room acoustics don't matter and only cables do, and their opinion was formed without having tried the room acoustic correction approach, how does that help the discussion, and why should I not point out that rather important omission? If not for people on this board like Doc Greene and Terrence pointing out how and why correlations between the acoustical science and real world listening observations far outweigh whatever can typically be discerned through cable swaps, I very well might have never tried the room correction approaches. I put their suggestions to the test, they were right, and it made for a better overall sounding system. They pointed out the flaws in the cable arguments in comparison to the room acoustics, I did my own tests, and they were right. If this board is to serve as a useful resource, that kind of exchange should not be omitted and stifled.

So what? Since my $27 cable got rid of the boominess, there was no need to try any other approach. If you think that there are $27 worth of room treatments (and now apparently also equalizers) that would work better, well, good for you.
    Equalizers are a form of room correction, along with the other treatments like bass traps and acoustic panels. I used my example because I've tried both approaches and read articles on this subject and am familiar with the basic science of how low frequency waves interact with rooms. Your response only reflects the cable half of the discussion, and it would not constitute an affront or an insult for me to point this out, since the room corrections are what I suggest as having the greatest causal effect and your response does not account for that.

The problem is that you don't seem to be content with giving your side of an issue, without also being allowed to insult sides that disagree with you. Like I said, it's pretty easy to avoid doing this.
    I don't see how you equate disagreement, bringing up some very basic science, and bringing my own experiences into the discussion to an insult. If I feel that someone's observations don't account for alternate causal variables, why shouldn't I be able to point that out if I'm not resorting to belittling language and personal insults?
    Last edited by Woochifer; 08-30-2004 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Strong
    I'm sorry, but anyone that posts an opinion in this forum--or any other forum--must be prepared for belittlement. It's the nature of the internet. Outright vicious personal attacks are also routine. If my skin was so thin that I couldn't bear up under such attacks, I wouldn't post here in the first place.
    That's certainly one philosophy. AR has decided to go with another.
    "Reality supercedes science."
    -- badman, 9/3/02, AudioAsylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    ...more of the same...
    Well, this is getting nowhere, and I'm tired of trying to connect the dots for you. The posting policy is up, and if a moderator decides that you've violated the policy, you'll hear about it, whether or not you agree with their decision.
    "Reality supercedes science."
    -- badman, 9/3/02, AudioAsylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed

I'll go any damned place I please.

-Bruce

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information