Forum Regular

Hi guys, I'm new to post, could use some advice..........

Have somehow acquired a few scatches on my turntable dust cover, any suggestions on how to get rid of them or at least make them look less obvious ?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks !

Novus Plastic Polish should do if you need just the right product for the job. For fine scratches, a decent car wax should help.

Re:

Novus Plastic Polish is good stuff, they have a 3 step system, you can get the hole cover looking like new again. Any sign shop should have them.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Forum Regular
    Many thanks guys :-) Have a great weekend !

Stephanie

Suspended
    The cheaper way would be to just add more scratches. I don't know about less obvious that way but they'd blend in with the rest any way.

I didn't know that product existed, good answer.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Hi Steph, I've used several polishes and plastic rejuvenators in an effort to revamp old covers. Eventually I gave up, most of the time, there was enough evidence left behind after the polish for me to still notice the blemish. The internet has all kinds of great affordable replacements, then you're back to square one so you can re-scratch it and get frustrated all over again...what make and model are you trying to clean up?

Forum Regular
    Hi, it's a Thorens td240 that I've had for about a year, that I'm getting ready to sell and just want to pretty it up a tiny bit. It's just regular wear scratches from cleaning it and such......

Thanks for the interest and help :-)

Stephanie

Suspended
    Well, Stephanie I hope you decide to stick around and post with us some more. Did you replace the Thorens or give up on vinyl? If you are still into vinyl what is your current rig?

Forum Regular
    Why thank you Mr. Peabody, I do think that probably everybody here is way, way beyond
    my level but I am very interested in music and the equipment that can make some good music......

In response to your question, yes I have upgraded to a higher level of turntable, a Rega P5
    I got the thorens to get back into vinyl after not doing any since the early 90's and enjoyed it enough to get involved deeper.
    The Thorens is a great fully auto player with 3 speeds and it has a very very nice light cherry veneer surround and for the money sounds great. Of course the P5 is much better but it is also more $.

Some other equipment that I have is: Denon 103R cartridge, the latest model of the Jasmine phono amp (solid state but sounds more like a tube.)
    A Marantz universal player, a Yamaha 3900 seven channel, Paradigm 80's, a HSU sub.

Thanks for writing, nice to talk with you.
    Stephanie

Based on that list of equipment, Stephanie, you sound like you're right up our alley. Anyone who has a P5 is A-OK in my book.

Suspended
    That is quite a table you have now. I'm not familiar with that brand of phono stage. There's nothing wrong with your system. You'd be surprised what you might know or have experienced that might help some one else. I would say though that your turntable quality is a few levels above the rest of your system. Did you buy it new? I've not heard Denon's carts either, what made you decide on that? Decent choice in speakers in my opinion and I hear HSU is very good.

A P-5 deserves a high five!!!!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Hi Guys,
    Yes, the Jasmine phono amp is the 3rd phono that I have tried and like it way better than the others.
    Here is the link if your interested in reading about it http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=308

The Denon Cart. I decided to try because of a couple of professional reviewers thought it was a really nice value to sound quality buy......... Has anyone else had one ?

Got to run, talk to you later :-)

Stephanie

Forum Regular
    BTW ,thanks everyone for the encouragement on my audio choices :-)

Stephanie

I once looked very hard at a Jasmine but went with a Copland only because I was able to get the Cop for a steal. I never did hear a record through the Jasmine though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi guys, I'm new to post, could use some advice..........-coplandcta401.jpg  

BTW, how does the Jas sound? From your link it would seem that Jasmine amps could possibly save lives, reverse cancer cells, etc. Really though it looks quite impressive. I am currently in a phase of old gear for my vinyl, tube/solid state, stuff to basically make people around here moan and groan. I have to say, seeing your amp and a few others around here is giving me an itch...

Suspended
    The Jasmine looks like what we call a "giant killer". If you can spend $600.00 and keep up with a Levinson that's a smart purchase.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Marantz makes great stuff. Period....

Forum Regular
    Hi Poppachubby,
    The Jasmine sounds very smooth all the way through the freq. range, as far as I can tell.
    I hear so very much more details in all of the vinyl that I play than I did with other phono amps. that I still own (need to sell them sometime soon....)

It does not sounds harsh like alot of solid state models. It is made by a tube specialized
    company and I think they tried pretty hard to make it sound tube-like. I think the one I got was a 3rd revision one.

Well, the Margaritas are kicking in :-) got to go.
    Nice talking.

Stephanie

What a bunch of drunken babble!! Kidding, kidding...thanks for the reply. The battle rages on between real tube and simulated tube. I am a bass player also, I try not to extoll too much of that on this site but with bass amps it couldn't be more true. To my ear nothing sounds like a warm set of tubes and if that means some Rice Krispies occasionally in the mix, so be it. The Copland is quite an amp too btw, ever sample any Copland? You sound like you have alot of phono amp experience. What are your top 3 aside from the Jas? Right now I have modified an old Electrohome console record player. It's a solid state model circa the late 60's. Aside from cleaning everything up, I have rewired it, removed the original player for a Pioneer PL-516 (nice fit) and added a 1/4 inch headphone jack. I am evaluating how to improve the amp, I have already replaced any shady looking capacitors with some nice high end Panny's. Eventually I will move on but for now I'm having lots of fun with it. Not to mention it's a beautiful Swedish Walnut finish and looks awesome. I haven't taken a pic yet, maybe I will today...

Forum Regular
    Hi, Wow the Copland picture looks gorgeous, I'm very sure it sounds equally great!
    No, I have only been back in the vinyl stuff for about 1.5 yrs. but I have had 3 different phono

Hey Steph, ya the Cop is sweet. Hey check out this link for the thread I have, I'm fully immersed in this thing right now. I was slightly ignorant to the applications it could have for phono recording and listening. It's thrown my whole audio world for a loop as I am an analog type. Could be right up your alley too...tell me what you think and if you have any questions ask...http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...d=1#post295252

OK Steph, this is the beast I've been working on, a work in progress but wicked fun, I've added the Celestions since we've chatted and have the whole unit running to the Creative Labs tool. The Sound Blaster then outputs to an old Harmon Kardon amp with some JBL's. Of course, I use the unit itself for listening as well...

Electrohome Tanga-TR-30 Solid State
    Pioneer PL-516 TT
    HIgh-End Panasonic capacitors and various parts
    1/4 inch headphone jack
    2- 10 inch Celestion speakers
    Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy Platinum
    Plextor Plexwriter 48/24/48A
    Lots of Love
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi guys, I'm new to post, could use some advice..........-dsc02321.jpg  

Forum Regular
    Wow, how cool ! I must say it is probably a bit beyond my comprehension level with computer stuff though. Glad you got it al to work though !
    Thanks for sharing :-)

Stephanie

Thread Information