Seems kinda shady to me...

You can debate forever about the esoteric qualities achieved by using specialty cabling, green markers for cd's and the many uses of pixie snot.

Here's a new one:

There is a company that sells maple isobase cradles for laptops and other portables and is now claiming that by laying your laptop on their maple isobase that not only will your mp3's sound better but you will, and I kid you not, see starling new color and detail for your videos.
    Grandpa would say if your gonna tell a story make it a big one

I imagine this piece of maple wood can not only work on audio and video frequencies but all other frequencies as well.

Imagine what can be done for microwaves. Cook a turkey in 2.5 seconds and the flavor will be eubonic.

Imagine what can be done for vision. Be able to see colors outside of human capability and who has never wanted xray vision.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...basecradle.php

I'd be sold if it made fresh syrup lol
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yogo
    You can debate forever about the esoteric qualities achieved by using specialty cabling, green markers for cd's and the many uses of pixie snot.

Here's a new one:

There is a company that sells maple isobase cradles for laptops and other portables and is now claiming that by laying your laptop on their maple isobase that not only will your mp3's sound better but you will, and I kid you not, see starling new color and detail for your videos.
    Grandpa would say if your gonna tell a story make it a big one

I imagine this piece of maple wood can not only work on audio and video frequencies but all other frequencies as well.

Imagine what can be done for microwaves. Cook a turkey in 2.5 seconds and the flavor will be eubonic.

Imagine what can be done for vision. Be able to see colors outside of human capability and who has never wanted xray vision.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...basecradle.php
    ...that's one special tree, must have come from an Indian burial ground...

"...and the flavor will be eubonic."

huh? eubonic?

Mapleshade has been selling snake oil products for a long time. I've bought some music from them and have not been impressed with the quality of the recordings and less impressed with the expensive junk in their catalog.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

old & quite mad
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    huh? eubonic?
    Yeah, it's ebonic euphonics.

Quote Originally Posted by oaqm
    Yeah, it's ebonic euphonics.
    Actually it's an "ebonic" word for "ebonics", but how can something taste eubonic?

But, if you're talking snake oil. how can you leave out Machina Dynamica?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Mapleshade has been selling snake oil products for a long time. I've bought some music from them and have not been impressed with the quality of the recordings and less impressed with the expensive junk in their catalog.
    Ever hear the Drink Small disk? A very good recording.

I've got the Drink Small CD, I like the music but don't think that the recording is great. I have several others and a few have good quality recordings but most are just ok.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

nightflier
    I agree that the super-expensive laptop isolation products are a bit over-the-top. That said, some of their products (like their speaker cables) do improve sound a smidgen according to so many reviews. Every time I was on the verge of buying something from them, though, I opted for another product instead. Their interconnects look especially cheap and weak, IMO, unless you opt for the more expensive stuff which then begs the question: why not buy from a trusted known brand instead?

I do have several of their CDs (they don't have much of a selection), and I do think they sound very good. Not only is the playing top notch, but the quality of the recording is also stellar. If only they had a better selection and not just Pierre Sprey's favorite stuff. Their classical selection is just a few CDs.

In each catalog, Pierre offers free upgrade suggestions, and I've tried all of them with little improvement (certainly not the day-and-night descriptions he raves about), so either that's another marketing ploy, or feeds more into the skepticism I already have for Mapleshade. They started doing the maple shelves not too many years ago, and I really think they've gone off the deep end with laptop isolation. I mean c'mon, how much will that really improve the sound of compressed files through a twitchy USB connection? Even with an external DAC (for which you would also need a maple isolation platform, BTW), I doubt the improvement is audible at all.

Thread Information