Thread: HDCD Surprises

Neil Young + HDCD

Neil Young: American Stars & Bars
    Neil Young: Broken Arrow
    Neil Young: Crazy Horse at the Fillmore 1970
    Neil Young: Greendale
    Neil Young: Hawks and Doves
    Neil Young's Living With War
    Neil Young: Mirror Ball (the first rock HDCD)
    Neil Young: On The Beach
    Neil Young: Prarie Wind
    Neil Young: Reactor
    Neil Young: Silver & Gold
    Neil Young: Time Fades Away (unreleased?)
    Neil Young: Year Of The Horse

Yawn

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Y-A-W-N!!!

Classical music = puts me to sleep.

PS, you mentioned you have a Neil Young Greatest Hits HDCD, I think. ...
    I could say the same about Neil Young. In fact, to generalize, my problem with Pop music is that it is boring relative to classical. It's not that I dislike it, (Rap, Hip-Hip, and raunchier rock forms aside), it's just that it isn't worth my limited time to listen to it.

I do agree that classical music is more challenging than other forms, viz. to fully enjoy it have to listen with you mind as well as your gut -- some people just are willing to do that.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I could say the same about Neil Young. In fact, to generalize, my problem with Pop music...
    Neil Young... Pop music?!?!?!

Feanor, did you know (or care) that Eddie Veder of Pearl Jam idolizes Neil? I think it would be a stretch to put Neil Young's songwriting style and guitar work into the Pop category. When I think of Pop music, yes, Rap, Hip-Hop, contemporary and such fit in there, but not Neil Young.

But to stay on topic, I guess it's a case of me marching to the beat of a different drummer. I like loud drums and a lot of bass to keep my heart pumping. Music is entertainment that plays to my emotions and heart, not my brain. Just IMHO though.

PS, that link you posted takes me to the CD version @ Amazon. I thought you had that title on HDCD.

Vinyl Lover Registered Member
    A quick look at the back of some discs reveals that Joni Mitchell, Roxy Music, Meatloaf, Rodney Crowell And Carly Simon remasters are all HDCD. There is also a Scandanavian website which lists them all.

Vinyl Lover Registered Member
    And here's the link: www.hifimusic.se/hdcd/?

PS, that link you posted takes me to the CD version @ Amazon. I thought you had that title on HDCD.
    Rich that IS the HDCD....some CD's are encoded with HDCD, so they are still CD's just not Redbook CD's. Most of the Neil Young CD's that I can recall has the labeling on them for HDCD.

Also, Neil Youg and the words "Anti-pop" are synonymous in my book! Go Neil Go!

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Neil Young... Pop music?!?!?!
    Uh, yeah -- it's POPular MUSIC, hence pop music. I.E. not jazz, country, classical, &c.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thank you, Dusty !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Uh, yeah -- it's POPular MUSIC, hence pop music. I.E. not jazz, country, classical, &c.
    That's the way I look at it. No disrespect to Eddie Veder, whoever he is.

In fact, I lump Country into the "pop" category too.

Suspended
    Nope. Not the way I remember it. Rock-n-roll music, although these days very much labelled was never considered to be Pop. Captain & Tenille(sp?)... Pop. Deep Purple. NOT Pop. Mariah Carey... Pop, Jethro Tull, Yes, Led Zeppelin... Pop? Not likely.

I think this discussion is drifting towards the Rave Recordings category...
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 04-16-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Look, I used to be like you, so take this blast with a grain of salt: you're just trying to pat yourself on the back by trying to be able to say that you listen to music that is not popular -- get over yourself. Eventually, you'll run into a piece of music that is so good that you won't care how popular it is, you'll like it despite its popularity. You will eventually look back on that day as a happy day. There is nothing wrong with the label pop music, though you might dislike a lot of it. Pop music (like "classic rock" and "indie" or "alternative") is one of the worst terms to describe music, because it does not describe the music itself.

Also, I think we're having a nomenclature problem. To me, there are only umpteen different types of music: classical, jazz, pop/rock (yes, I lump them together -- sometimes I just call it "contemporary"), and then the different world musics -- tibetan monk music, Indian drone-based music, &c.

Look, this is just a nomenclature problem that started when you questioned a use of the term to describe Neil Young, and which has since been clarified. We will never agree on the use of the term, so just get over yourself.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Rich that IS the HDCD....some CD's are encoded with HDCD, so they are still CD's just not Redbook CD's. Most of the Neil Young CD's that I can recall has the labeling on them for HDCD.

Also, Neil Youg and the words "Anti-pop" are synonymous in my book! Go Neil Go!
    Just to be sure PS, the link to this title shows it as costing $9.99, and in the Product Details section, it's listed as an Audio CD. Same one? If so, it goes into my shopping cart with the White Album!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Look, I used to be like you, so take this blast with a grain of salt: you're just trying to pat yourself on the back by trying to be able to say that you listen to music that is not popular -- get over yourself...

We will never agree on the use of the term, so just get over yourself.
    My apologies DC. I didn't realize this was such a touchy subject with you.

I'll say potatoe, and you say potato. Sound good?

Typical AR...

Rich,

You are beginning to see a common problem around this forum. How does a thread about HDCD's suddenly become a debate over whether or not Neil Young is Popular or not? No idea either, but it seems around here that no topic is safe from debates and attacks. I didn't think that responding to your questions about DVD-A would turn into a huge war either. Anyway...

To answer your question:

The Neil Young CD of 'Greatest Hits' is encoded with HDCD, there are no other versions of that CD. Most of the time you will not be given specifics as to whether a disc is HDCD or not. It's not like SACD where you are talking about a different format.

Peace.

Forum Regular

Classical music, Neil Young, etc.

I really started getting into classical about 6 months ago. I forced myself to seriously listen to it and all I can say is Wow!! It is addictive once you become familiar with some of the melodies, etc. Favorites so far are Rachmaninoff, Richard Strauss, Brahms, Ravel, Delius, Respighi, Dvorak, Grieg, and Grofe (mostly Romantic era).

It is frustrating that I could not find any classical HDCDs. Hence I splurged on an SACD player. Classical in surround sound is amazing with all of the instruments, plus there are a ton of titles available. I do recommend the RCA Living Stereo SACDs... some great performances from 50's in state of the art remastered sound. They were recorded in 2 or 3 channel, so it's not "technically" surround sound, but my 7.1 receiver will convert it into surround (it sounds excellent in 2 or 3 channel too). If you love classical music, an SACD player is highly recommended.

As for the Neil Young's greatest hits HDCD, I picked it up at a local Target store.

Suspended
    Rich,

You are beginning to see a common problem around this forum. How does a thread about HDCD's suddenly become a debate over whether or not Neil Young is Popular or not? No idea either, but it seems around here that no topic is safe from debates and attacks. I didn't think that responding to your questions about DVD-A would turn into a huge war either. Anyway...

To answer your question:

The Neil Young CD of 'Greatest Hits' is encoded with HDCD, there are no other versions of that CD. Most of the time you will not be given specifics as to whether a disc is HDCD or not. It's not like SACD where you are talking about a different format.

Peace.
    Thus the original intention of this topic. I understand, I just find it hard to believe that Neil Young CD would be so cheap. I guess it's time to do some more homework on HDCD recording and the Red book standard.

Edit: Well, maybe not. This looks like a political (DRM) hot potatoe, and I don't like to mix politics with music.

I think a good compromise for me in regards to classical music would be some of Bruce Hornsby & The Range's work. I'll bet ya "The Way It Is" would sound great in a multi-channel output format.
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 04-17-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Good for you, R.S.

Quote Originally Posted by R.S.
    I really started getting into classical about 6 months ago. I forced myself to seriously listen to it and all I can say is Wow!! It is addictive once you become familiar with some of the melodies, etc. Favorites so far are Rachmaninoff, Richard Strauss, Brahms, Ravel, Delius, Respighi, Dvorak, Grieg, and Grofe (mostly Romantic era).

It is frustrating that I could not find any classical HDCDs. Hence I splurged on an SACD player. Classical in surround sound is amazing with all of the instruments, plus there are a ton of titles available. I do recommend the RCA Living Stereo SACDs... some great performances from 50's in state of the art remastered sound. They were recorded in 2 or 3 channel, so it's not "technically" surround sound, but my 7.1 receiver will convert it into surround (it sounds excellent in 2 or 3 channel too). If you love classical music, an SACD player is highly recommended.

As for the Neil Young's greatest hits HDCD, I picked it up at a local Target store.
    Classical has a lot to offer for those willing to make the effort, but it is basically "serious" music, (to use the term favored by some). For me the Romantic era wasn't and isn't my favorite, but I have a fair collection none the less. I recommend that you eventually explore other eras, perhaps beginning with the Baroque but eventually also the Contemporary.

You are absolutely right the classical in multi-channel is great. Personally I prefer true 5.1 channel versions of large-scale orchestral and choral works. Despite that I do listen 90% to my stereo system; the multi-channel advantage is a bit less for chamber music and solo works.

You still sound defensive

Thus the original intention of this topic. I understand, I just find it hard to believe that Neil Young CD would be so cheap. I guess it's time to do some more homework on HDCD recording and the Red book standard.

Edit: Well, maybe not. This looks like a political (DRM) hot potatoe, and I don't like to mix politics with music.

I think a good compromise for me in regards to classical music would be some of Bruce Hornsby & The Range's work. I'll bet ya "The Way It Is" would sound great in a multi-channel output format.
    You don't have to justify your disinterest with the Classical genre. You're not into it? Fine.

On the other hand it is simply ridiculous to view Bruce Hornsby, etc., as any sort "compromise" with Classical. You don't meet Classical way: either you accept it, (or some of it, because there is a huge range of Classical styles), or you don't.

Forum Regular

Thumbs up Music soothes the savage beast

Classical has a lot to offer for those willing to make the effort, but it is basically "serious" music, (to use the term favored by some). For me the Romantic era wasn't and isn't my favorite, but I have a fair collection none the less. I recommend that you eventually explore other eras, perhaps beginning with the Baroque but eventually also the Contemporary.

You are absolutely right the classical in multi-channel is great. Personally I prefer true 5.1 channel versions of large-scale orchestral and choral works. Despite that I do listen 90% to my stereo system; the multi-channel advantage is a bit less for chamber music and solo works.
    Hi Feanor! Or, Bill Bailey! (won't you come home?)...years ago the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen proposed that there were three kinds of music (1) Head (2) Heart and (3) Limb...Head music was the intricate, but beautiful music as fouind in Symphonies, Concertos, Opera and the like - implying that it took a bit of the mind to appreciate...and for Heart Music he referred to the balad or the song, such as sung by Irish Tenors, that genre was sentimental, touching etc., hence the heart was involved instead of the head. And then the third type he chose to label was LIMB music - which included the type of music that makes you want to tap your toes or drum your fingers...in short to move your LIMBS or your body....rhythm, beat etc. I think if the Archbishop were still alive he might have added a fourth kind - the kind that we old timers thought might eventually go away, but it never did...I refer to Rock 'n Roll and perhaps (I'm not sure of the term) Hip Hop? I might be referring to RAP....in any case we might all agree that music, like food, is a matter of taste....and it is up to the individual to listen to his own kind of music...If some would rather eat hot dogs instead of steak, that's okay....Of course, I do believe that Classical (head) music can do much more for the individual than Rock. There is a structure or an order in Classical (Mozart) that elicits an orderly mind - or maybe it takes an orderly mind to appreciate it? Anyway, I believe there is room for us all! I will go on listening to Symphonies, Opera, Concertos...etc. and avoiding what seems to me to be cacophony - just as I will go on eating steaks and avoiding spam sandwiches.

Spam, spam, head & spam ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo
    years ago the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen proposed that there were three kinds of music (1) Head (2) Heart and (3) Limb...Head music was the intricate, but beautiful music as fouind in Symphonies, Concertos, Opera and the like - implying that it took a bit of the mind to appreciate...and for Heart Music he referred to the balad or the song, such as sung by Irish Tenors, ....
    Of course, I do believe that Classical (head) music can do much more for the individual than Rock. There is a structure or an order in Classical (Mozart) that elicits an orderly mind - or maybe it takes an orderly mind to appreciate it? Anyway, I believe there is room for us all! I will go on listening to Symphonies, Opera, Concertos...etc. and avoiding what seems to me to be cacophony - just as I will go on eating steaks and avoiding spam sandwiches.
    ... to paraphrase Mony Python. Spam just isn't my "slice", so to speak.

I guess I really just prefer the "head music" which includes a lot of what's classical and a little bit of what's jazz. In fact, of classical music, I don't much care for music of the Romantic Era which, though mainly "head", has too much "heart" for my preference. Hence I dislike the lushly romantic composers like Schumman, Bruckner, et al.

I'll take all 3 then...

For me, I love head-music as you described, but I am not always in a cerebral state of being, so sometimes I need something for my heart, and sometimes I am in a mood to just purely listen to music for the energy, in which case I want some limb-music. I don't wash my car listening to Mozart or Air Supply, but Led Zeppelin does the job quite well. Although that also depends...I don't listen to the THE BATTLE OF EVERMORE washing the wheels, which is more of a head-song if you ask me. Lots of visual imagery. Anyway...

I also think that there is another vein of music and that is worship music. All religions have it and that's different than heart-music because it involves soul. I am not talking about 'soul' music though...I am talking about spirtitaul music that involves a type of worship.....Christian worship for example looks like this...

"In worship we are ascribing greatness, goodness, and glory to God. It is typical of worship that we put every possible aspect of our being into it, all of our sensuous, conceptual, active, and creative capacities.
    We embellish, elaborate, and magnify. Poetry and song, color and texture, food and incense, dance and procession are all used to exalt God. And sometimes it is in the quiet absorption of thought, the electric passion of encounter, or total surrender of the will. In worship we strive for adequate expression of God's greatness. But only for a moment, if ever, do we achieve what seems like adequacy. We cannot do justice to God or his Son or his kingdom or his goodness to us.
    Worship nevertheless imprints on our whole being the reality that we study. The effect is a radical disruption of the powers of evil in us and around us. Often an enduring and substantial change is brought about. And the renewal of worship keeps the glow and power of our true homeland and active agent in all parts of our being. To "hear and do" in the atmosphere of worship is the clearest, most obvious and natural thing imaginable."

For me, I love head-music as you described, but I am not always in a cerebral state of being, so sometimes I need something for my heart, and sometimes I am in a mood to just purely listen to music for the energy, in which case I want some limb-music. I don't wash my car listening to Mozart or Air Supply, but Led Zeppelin does the job quite well. Although that also depends...I don't listen to the THE BATTLE OF EVERMORE washing the wheels, which is more of a head-song if you ask me. Lots of visual imagery. Anyway...

I also think that there is another vein of music and that is worship music. All religions have it and that's different than heart-music because it involves soul. I am not talking about 'soul' music though...I am talking about spirtitaul music that involves a type of worship.....Christian worship for example looks like this...

"In worship we are ascribing greatness, goodness, and glory to God. It is typical of worship that we put every possible aspect of our being into it, all of our sensuous, conceptual, active, and creative capacities.
    We embellish, elaborate, and magnify. Poetry and song, color and texture, food and incense, dance and procession are all used to exalt God. And sometimes it is in the quiet absorption of thought, the electric passion of encounter, or total surrender of the will. In worship we strive for adequate expression of God's greatness. But only for a moment, if ever, do we achieve what seems like adequacy. We cannot do justice to God or his Son or his kingdom or his goodness to us.
    Worship nevertheless imprints on our whole being the reality that we study. The effect is a radical disruption of the powers of evil in us and around us. Often an enduring and substantial change is brought about. And the renewal of worship keeps the glow and power of our true homeland and active agent in all parts of our being. To "hear and do" in the atmosphere of worship is the clearest, most obvious and natural thing imaginable."

AMEN

What about out of body music like trance???? LOL
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

If you enjoy a good wallow

For me, I love head-music as you described, but I am not always in a cerebral state of being, ...

If you enjoy a good wallow in "heart" music of the Christian variety, you'll love my reference originally under the "Best Sounding Classical CD" thread ...

Pretty much my favorite classical album from a sound quality perspective is this one which is one I always use to evaluate components, (it's HDCD) ...
    RUTTER Requiem and Five Anthems; Reference Recordings RR-57
    http://www.referencerecordings.com/choraleorgan.asp

Suspended
    I'm going to go to confession on Saturday, then church on Sunday.

Forum Regular

Worship Music.....

Peruvian skies - I thoroughly enJOYed your comments on worship music. You have pointed out that music can transcend the ordinary - take you out of the 'world' for a time and bring you in the presence of God. If, when we go to worship, we hear the same tripe that the world produces, we are not lifted up. As a cradle Catholic myself, I grew up with the wonderful music of the liturgy not the least of which was Gregorian Chant, but also included composers like Palestrina et. al. There are many liturgists who feel that in order to attract the young, we have to bend down to their music and play drums and permit shouiting...while my own theory is that let us lift them up and give them does of true musical beauty. Some of the hymns written after Vatican II are so ordinary that I expect to see my Priest come skipping down the aisle dropping rose petals.

I read your words about 'worship' music with hope in my heart. I 'hope' that many who read it will give your kind of music a chance to enter their souls especially when they want to worship their creator and not each other.

Bless you - Bingo

Audio Enthusiast

Simple String Trios or quartet recordings

I'm a big fan of the string quartet form and have fairly large collection. I'll peruse it and come up with some recommendations -- watch the Rave Recordings forum.

You may like Janaki String Trio. They are a group of young but impressive musicians that seem to be making some waves.

http://www.janakistringtrio.com/

Their HDCDs are obtainable through Amazon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information