Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: HDCD Surprises

Interesting, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200
    You may like Janaki String Trio. They are a group of young but impressive musicians that seem to be making some waves.

http://www.janakistringtrio.com/

Their HDCDs are obtainable through Amazon.
    As some might be aware, string trios are far less common in the repertoire than either piano trios, (piano, violin, and cello), or string quartets, (two violins, viola, cello). So it's nice to be reminded of these worthy works.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

unfortunately

i dont have hdcd capability at this time. soon i may purchase an oppo player which DOES so i can then take advantage of the many hdcd encoded discs that are in our collections. many times its only mentioned in the fine print along the bottom of the back of the disc box.

my sony ns500v sounds so good on rbcd that i am slow to hand out another $150 and also have just been made aware of the sanjean hd tuner for less than $200. DAMN this hobby, you can go broke saving money!
    ...regards...tr

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Pretty suprised today when I plugged Willard Grant Conspiracy's Regard The End into the computer and it identified it as HDCD. Guess I never really noticed before but, frankly, it's not really my habit to look for such things.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

try looking on the cd booklet

thats where i found some that some CDs were hdcd encoded.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Classical has a lot to offer for those willing to make the effort, but it is basically "serious" music, (to use the term favored by some). For me the Romantic era wasn't and isn't my favorite, but I have a fair collection none the less. I recommend that you eventually explore other eras, perhaps beginning with the Baroque but eventually also the Contemporary.

You are absolutely right the classical in multi-channel is great. Personally I prefer true 5.1 channel versions of large-scale orchestral and choral works. Despite that I do listen 90% to my stereo system; the multi-channel advantage is a bit less for chamber music and solo works.
    Actually I have listened quite a bit to the Baroque and Classical eras. I like them all, but I'm more attracted to the Romantic era because they used more woodwinds and brass instruments that I am familiar with. (I played trumpet in school bands, I'm also not a big fan of harpsichords that were so popular with Baroque music).

I do like a lot of the Baroque music. I just prefer the bigger, more emotional sound of the orchestras used in the Romantic era. I also am a big fan of art history, and there's a lot of relations between that was happening musically in the Romantic era with what was going on in the art world. Not to mention the music has a lot of local folk flavor.

I also listen to two channel quite a bit. Particularly if the music is showcasing a particular instrument. But as you said, big choirs, etc. sound great in surround. A great SACD recorded in 5.1 is amazing. Once in awhile, I'll switch to 7.1 (speakers to the front, side and back). It puts me right in the middle of the stage, and brings back memories of those school concerts I played in.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    thats where i found some that some CDs were hdcd encoded.
    Yeah, a lot of them don't say even then.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information