Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    nightflier
    I've received a PM from someone else here who also doesn't care for the DAC, and I've had it running continuously for several days now with no improvement, so I'm thinking this DAC just isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've tried it with XLRs and with RCAs, my Threshold preamp, my Plinus preamp, and straight into the amp using a volume attenuator. I have not tried the USB, and the headphones only for a few minutes (nothing special there either).

Now there is a difference from the Arcam Blackbox, but it is only very slight. Actually when I compare my Audio Refinement CDP with it, the latter actually sounds better through its own RCA outs than through the DAC. I can't remember what kind of DAC my CDP has in it, but I've always felt it to be on the warm side, so it should actually sound more similar and it doesn't. I'm going to spend one more weekend tweaking things and if it doesn't improve, then it's going back.

Regarding the tubes, if I'm paying the same as LDB for the damn thing, it should have the same tubes. I'll crack it open and see what it has, but I better not find out that they screwed me on the tubes. I don't have any other tubes I can try (I'm kind of new to tubes), but I shouldn't have to do this 1 week after I own it, either. I know it was only $550, but if that's the pricepoint that the MH engineers determined could make a decent DAC, then they shouldn't be hobbling it for any reason.

I'll feel bad for AA if I decide to send it back (they've always been good to me), but I'm not going to keep something that doesn't make me want to listen to it more than what I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I have not tried the USB, and the headphones only for a few minutes (nothing special there either). .
    Hmmm. Interesting in that I'm basically only using the USB input. Maybe that's where the difference is.

I have read that the headphone section is only mediocre.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Regarding the tubes, if I'm paying the same as LDB for the damn thing, it should have the same tubes.
    Actually I probably paid more when you factor in exchange rates, international shipping, duties etc.

My point about the tubes was maybe they used a different run of tubes to get the first few units out the door. This happens a lot with smaller manufacturers. Since you bought yours from AA whereas I got mine from Musicdirect maybe MD lot had the different tubes in them or visa versa. Just thinkin' out loud.

Mebbe the tubes need a li'l seasonin'...a little tang on the tungsten!

Suspended
    NF, you have any gear you want to trade for an Audio Note DAC, no USB. I'd be interested in a good preamp with remote or a power amp.

I wouldn't open the DAC it may void your return if noticed.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I wouldn't open the DAC it may void your return if noticed.
    Seconded.... Unless the manual specifically states that you can open the product without voiding the warranty, I'd avoid opening it...

Send it back if you don't like after the weekend... you can always pick up a PS Audio or Benchmark (if you're willing to spend a little more) or a Musical Fidelity or Cambridge Audio (if you want to keep the costs down)...

nightflier
    Hmmmm, that's a thought. Mr.P., I know you told me before, but I can't find the thread. What audio note model was that?

Ajani, the Benchmark seems to be the next in line. It's also a lot more versatile. I was a little disseminated in what I read about the Cambridge DAC as well. Monarchy also has an intriguing DAC and I'm rather impressed with their little 70 amps. On the flip side, maybe it's time to spring for a better CD player. The Cambridge top of the line has what amounts to a built-in DAC. If only it had a volume control - I really like the option of going straight to an amp with the player; with volume and the inputs, it could almost be preamp. Does anyone know if Cambridge is going to follow it up with another player?

Suspended
    My Audio Note is the 1.1x. It was not a kit.

nightflier

So what do I do now?

The Music Hall DAC, after having been on for the better part of the last 2 weeks is sounding better, especially out of the XLR inputs. So I guess burn-in is a factor, and a now noticeable one, too. 'Pologies for borrowing audiophile-speak here, but the DAC presents deeper blacks, greater stage depth, and more air. Now let's not get carried away. Yes, it's noticeable, but only in a direct A/B comparison. In any case, this is something I didn't hear at all before and I'm wondering if it will get much better.

So there's my dilemma: I'm running into my 30-day return time limit. Do I keep the DAC in the hopes that it will improve considerably more or do I return it and get one that better meets my needs. One of the things I'm after is more detail as my gear tends to be on the dark side, and I can't really say this DAC does this, or at least not yet. So what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    My Audio Note is the 1.1x. It was not a kit.
    Mr.P, that's certainly a nice DAC, but I really prefer one with more features like XLR and upsampling. Also, I'm not sure you'd want any of my preamps.

Glad to hear you're getting some improvement. I found that my "percieved" burn in levelled off after 'bout 75 hours or so. I never woulda thought it would take so long, but ya juz never know. I find my DAC to be very involving indeed to a point where I can (and have) wasted a good part of the day just listening to it.

Cheers,

LDB

nightflier
    So yer keepin 'er?

Suspended
    NF, in your case send it back. It's probably not going to improve a whole lot more and you still don't seem happy with it.

nightflier

And... yes, it's going back

First thing in the morning, with the rest of the UPS pickup.

Sorry, but if it doesn't offer up a real improvement, it's not worth $600. That buys a lot of music and/or movies.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information