Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380

    Get your sub up off the floor?

    Curious as to what is thought about raising a sub off the floor. Subs are large and bass is omni-directional, but I have had speakers in the past, floorstanders, where if the speakers were standing on the carpet, the bass was mushy and just plain lousy. By putting in the spikes, and placing the speakers on a 1" thick pc of granite, decoupling them from the floor, the bass improved a great deal.

    So has anyone experimented by putting the sub on say an Amp Stand or higher?

    I ended up with an extra 7" VTI unit that I am thinking of experimenting with and lift the sub up. There has to be some difference whether good or bad. I'm hoping for better because the same theory of decoupling a floorstander to improve bass should also apply to a sub.

    What say you?

  2. #2
    Sure, sure... Auricauricle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yonder
    Posts
    2,886
    Actually, I lift my sub about 2", thinking somehow that doing so will help the sound. One one hand, his is probably irrational: the sub fired out, not down; on the other, it seems reasonable, since it has been placed inside an schrank, where the vibrations already give the doors a good, occasional rattling. So far I like the sound. I haven't done an A-B comparison: most times the volume is cranked low enough to be scarcely discernible. But, I am not you, so who knows? Why not give it a shot?
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

  3. #3
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Mine fires down. I do have spikes left over from another build. Do you think it would make a difference?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  4. #4
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Actually, I lift my sub about 2", thinking somehow that doing so will help the sound. One one hand, his is probably irrational: the sub fired out, not down; on the other, it seems reasonable, since it has been placed inside an schrank, where the vibrations already give the doors a good, occasional rattling. So far I like the sound. I haven't done an A-B comparison: most times the volume is cranked low enough to be scarcely discernible. But, I am not you, so who knows? Why not give it a shot?
    I do not know what a "schrank" is.

    One of these days I'm going to get the nerve up to drill the necessary holes into my sub's cabinet and install the spikes I purchased from Parts Express 2 or 3 years ago.

  5. #5
    Charm Thai™
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    865
    I've been contemplating trying out one of those Subdude's.

  6. #6
    Sure, sure... Auricauricle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yonder
    Posts
    2,886
    Well, other than what happens to certain things in German schwimming pools, a schrank is another term for an armoir, Rich...

    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

  7. #7
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Shouldnt make much diff.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  8. #8
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Well, other than what happens to certain things in German schwimming pools, a schrank is another term for an armoir, Rich...

    OIC. I don't think my sub will fit in there though.

  9. #9
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Shouldnt make much diff.
    I seriously expected that response from you. Have you ever tried it to make that statement?

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Home Of The Fighting Gamecocks
    Posts
    1,701
    I bought a 12X12 concrete paver from Lowes, wrapped it top and bottom in padded black vinyl and sat my forward firing Sunfire sub on top of it. Without the paver, the Sunfire resonates the hardwood floor but with it, the bass is nice and tight and compliments my full rangers.

  11. #11
    Sure, sure... Auricauricle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yonder
    Posts
    2,886
    Nice tip, Poultrygeist!

  12. #12
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    I bought a 12X12 concrete paver from Lowes, wrapped it top and bottom in padded black vinyl and sat my forward firing Sunfire sub on top of it. Without the paver, the Sunfire resonates the hardwood floor but with it, the bass is nice and tight and compliments my full rangers.
    I'm gonna need a bigger block.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  13. #13
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7
    My dual Dayton subs have spikes first placed on berber carpet. But when I went to home depot and purchased 2" x 16" gray masonite pieces and placed them under each enclosure (towers and subs) still all spiked, I noticed a more defined, clear, and sharper sound with zero vibrations. You cannot dampen them any better than this I don't think. The sound greatly improved and tightened up all freq ranges. Best .75 cents a piece i've spent to make great sound.

  14. #14
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    I bought a 12X12 concrete paver from Lowes, wrapped it top and bottom in padded black vinyl and sat my forward firing Sunfire sub on top of it. Without the paver, the Sunfire resonates the hardwood floor but with it, the bass is nice and tight and compliments my full rangers.
    I originally had it on a 18 x 18 x 1 pc of quarry stone sitting on bricks. I took that all out of the mix when I redid my system to the VTI racks.

    I think what I will do, is put the block on top of the 7" VTI shelf decoupled with several 1/2 in thick pcs of Sorbothane...then the sub.

  15. #15
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrianhandy
    My dual Dayton subs have spikes first placed on berber carpet. But when I went to home depot and purchased 2" x 16" gray masonite pieces and placed them under each enclosure (towers and subs) still all spiked, I noticed a more defined, clear, and sharper sound with zero vibrations. You cannot dampen them any better than this I don't think. The sound greatly improved and tightened up all freq ranges. Best .75 cents a piece i've spent to make great sound.
    That is the answer I was looking for and what I experienced with floor staning Mirage Speakers I did the same thing to.

  16. #16
    Suspended PeruvianSkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I seriously expected that response from you. Have you ever tried it to make that statement?
    Of course he hasn't, nothing has changed since he started coming here several years ago, interestingly enough he still hasn't posted any pictures of any of his equipment either, which his excuse years ago was a broken camera, but I think or at least I would hope most people by now have caught onto the fact that he tries to talk the talk, but has never walked the walk and thus one of the reasons I left 2 years ago when I did from this place. I am shocked to see that he is still around making ridiculous statements without any support.

  17. #17
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,908
    I put casters on my forward-firing sub. My intent was to limit how much it vibrates the floor and thus the turntable. I also put open-cell foam in the port...but hey...that's just me.

  18. #18
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Of course he hasn't, nothing has changed since he started coming here several years ago, interestingly enough he still hasn't posted any pictures of any of his equipment either, which his excuse years ago was a broken camera, but I think or at least I would hope most people by now have caught onto the fact that he tries to talk the talk, but has never walked the walk and thus one of the reasons I left 2 years ago when I did from this place. I am shocked to see that he is still around making ridiculous statements without any support.
    If you wrote a history book about WWII you'd leave out Hitler...

    Dude, Pix had absolutely nothing to do with your leaving this place 2 years ago.
    Now, I'm willing to leave the past in the past, but don't go slinging mud at members in your sunday whites, mmmkay.

    Welcome back...but play nice.
    Last edited by kexodusc; 07-09-2010 at 03:17 AM.

  19. #19
    Forum Regular luvtolisten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Mine fires down. I do have spikes left over from another build. Do you think it would make a difference?
    Mine fires down too, and I have a high profile rug. I put a piece of wood (from an old shelf ) under mine. To me (after turning the volume down) it was more clear, dynamic, not as muffled. Spikes my do the same for you.

  20. #20
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    I think there is a big difference and a lot more issues raised (pun intended) by going from 1 or 2 inches off the floor to stands. IMO Subwoofers have been around long enough that either a manufacturer of subs or of stands would have developed the concept if there was any benefit to it.

  21. #21
    Suspended PeruvianSkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,373
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    If you wrote a history book about WWII you'd leave out Hilter...

    Dude, Pix had absolutely nothing to do with your leaving this place 2 years ago.
    Now, I'm willing to leave the past in the past, but don't go slinging mud at members in your sunday whites, mmmkay.

    Welcome back...but play nice.
    Well since you obviously know me better than I know myself, please enlighten me why I chose to do what I did? The problem is that you (along with a few others) think that you "own this place" and therefore gang up on anyone that you feel indifferent towards in order to satisfy your pathetic life that you live in the real world.

  22. #22
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Well since you obviously know me better than I know myself, please enlighten me why I chose to do what I did? The problem is that you (along with a few others) think that you "own this place" and therefore gang up on anyone that you feel indifferent towards in order to satisfy your pathetic life that you live in the real world.
    PS -Let it go.......

  23. #23
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Well wether or not Manufactures would have figured out if they sound better raised or not, they chose not to include it in the design for many reasons I'm sure. But......

    It works and did for me exactly what I was hoping for. I used the 7"tall VTI shelf, placed 5 chunks of Sorbothane on the wood shelf and then an 18x18x1 slab of quarry stone on top then the sub.

    I did this while it was on and Kansas Komp was spinning. Although that comp is not a stellar recording, bass was less muddy. I went to get a shower before any more listening and when I got out, I could hear that Mrs Hyfi had put on some Les Dudek at high volume. Sounded much better from upstairs even.

    I was able to turn the sub volume up which allowed me to better blend with my mains while the floor, walls, pictures, and windows were no longer rattling and vibrating. The bass was clear, detailed, deep in your chest and better than I ever had it setup in my room.

    Then the real bass test cd went on. Thanks to a bud here that turned me on to this disk which anyone should own if they want to see what kind of bass their system can produce.

    MARCUS MILLER M2

    I cranked this baby up to high levels and the bass was as tight as it could be when before with same disk it was muffled at times and the room vibrating got in the way of the sound.

    I think maybe everyone may not get the same results as I did but maybe worth experimenting with. It worked for me.

    BTW my sub is a Mirage OM-12 which I don't think they sell anymore.

  24. #24
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Of course he hasn't, nothing has changed since he started coming here several years ago, interestingly enough he still hasn't posted any pictures of any of his equipment either, which his excuse years ago was a broken camera, but I think or at least I would hope most people by now have caught onto the fact that he tries to talk the talk, but has never walked the walk and thus one of the reasons I left 2 years ago when I did from this place. I am shocked to see that he is still around making ridiculous statements without any support.
    Good to see you, PS ... all said & done.

  25. #25
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Do you guys want to call a Whaaaambulance or something?

    Please keep this thread about Subs and get over your issues in PMs or in the Steel Cage section.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •