Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Unison Unico Secondo hybrid integrated and Acoustic Zen Adagio Jr. bookshelves will give you what you need.

No speaker or amp ever made can correct for a glass or highly reflective wall.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    No speaker or amp ever made can correct for a glass or highly reflective wall.
    But even in the greatest room Nad C355BEE and a pair of B&W CDM 1NTs won't sound warm
    Last edited by bluetrain; 03-31-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Cosigns both posts #27 and #28...quite a conundrum, eh?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I feel Def Tech is just a notch above BOSE. I installed an 5.1 Def Tech systems years ago for a co-worker and was very disappointed to say the least. He liked them.
    I also own one of their 15" subs and it has slam, but nothing else. Can you say S L O W...

Mixed results on NAD, but i always consider their sound on the bright side.

Great suggestions on the curtains and treatments...you should also consider a nice size rug if you floor is hardwood or tile.

Suspended
    Warm or laid back, Vandies always sound like they are under a blanket to me. I know they have their fans but that's a speaker that just does not appeal to me.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Warm or laid back, Vandies always sound like they are under a blanket to me. I know they have their fans but that's a speaker that just does not appeal to me.
    MrP, I'm not talking about who likes what. Just saying Vandersteens are laid back, not warm. Now I have Acoustic Zen Adagios. Forward sounding, but warm. Very different concept. different sound. That's all.

Suspended
    BT, you and I may have a different understanding of "warm", the Vandersteen I heard and it was a few different models have all been warm to the extreme. What did you drive yours with? This was a few years back as well when they used Vifa drivers. The systems I heard drove the Vandies with Adcom, Aragon and Golden Tube. The Vandies came off as the epitome of warmth, the highs were not that extended or promenant, the bass a bit tubby and lacking detail, the mids soft......

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Too bright might mean that it lacks bass or that there is too much treble. I know that sounds rather moronic, but listen on...

Remember, I'm just an amateur here.

From my experience, the best sound comes from a system that is relatively flat in frequency response from bottom to top and where the fundamental frequencies are in balance with it's harmonics. To picture this, listen to a subwoofer that is turned too loud. The bass becomes one note. You just get Boom – Boom- Boom. This bass note consists of a fundamental and it's associated harmonics. When you turn the sub up too loud, you now hear the fundamental overpowering it's harmonics. Taken to an extreme, listen to the subwoofer without the main speakers and you will realize how important the harmonics are. On the other hand, to illustrate my point, if the fundamental is produced by the sub and the harmonics are produced by the main speakers, and you shut off the sub, all you will hear are the harmonics. Your system will sound anemic and too bright.

Now take speakers is general and the room they are in. The room is everything, well not quite, but for the sake of argument, different rooms can make the same speakers sound totally different. A decent speaker in a great room will blow the doors off a great speaker in a poor room. If the room is highly reflective, you will have no soundstage and it will sound bright. If the room is highly absorptive, your speakers will sound dull. If your room has the wrong dimensions, you will get standing waves where the bass is too loud. BTW, that's a really strange experience. In one room, if I sat back all I could hear was bass, but just leaning forward in the chair moved me out of the standing wave and the things sounded much better.

So, how does this relate to your situation? You have very nice equipment and it's capable of much more than you have indicated. You said that your system seemed to be a bit bright. You might also be saying that your room is too reflective. I'm guessing here... If the room is the real problem, you will still have this problem no matter what equipment you own. The room is an integral part of any system and that should be addressed first before you spend another dime on different equipment.

So how do you treat a room? If your interested, just respond and I'm sure many here can give you great information. In general, the main thing to consider in your case is adding sound absorption to your room.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    BT, you and I may have a different understanding of "warm"

MrP, I believe this is the case. I had V2Sigs for 9 years. Tried them with SS, tube and hybrid components from $500 - $5000. Sound quality was immensely affected by the quality of the components I used, ranging from harsh, irritating, edgy to very enjoyable. One thing that never changed was their laid-back, "blanket over them" presentation, no matter what amp I used. Also, that laid-back thing contributes to the misconception of the V-n speakers to be warm.

My current speakers have an in-your-face presentation, but they're warm and smooth. I played lots of badly recorded, thin and edgy albums, and they still sounded acceptable with the Adagios. That wasn't the case with the Vandersteens. Before Vandies I had B&Ws. Boy, those were bright forward... horrible...

So, having, said that, IMO, based on my personal first-hand experience, warm and laid-back presentations are two different qualities. If you think otherwise, that's absolutely OK with me, I guess we can survive with different points of views

I've also read where bookshelves...whether full wall or not can really help out a room which is too reflective.

Forum Regular
    I have one more trick for you to try, although in theory it is supposed to be avoided, but it works for me.
    Undo any sense of symmetry for the speaker placement:
    1. One of the speakers closer to side wall than on the other side.
    2. Put an obstacle behind one speaker and none for the other.
    3. Arrange seating position so absorption by furniture is not the same on each side.
    4. Behind your sweet spot break up the reflected sound in a non symmetrical manner as well.

Maybe others can chip in with more suggestions, but I have achieved more from my system by breaking the tight theoretical equidistant requirements..... these little steps help the fact that whatever is being constructively added by interference from one speaker is NOT exactly the same from the other speaker, thereby reducing peaks and troughs of loud and drowned sound ( and a more agreeable loudspeaker response manifests itself).

Suspended
    Problem solved, buy headphones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information